What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Quick straw poll - Clair Voyant
OK, hands up if you know what the little stick thingie on the (usually) left of the stearing column, behind the round wheel bit, is for?

As a (very rough) guesstimate, I think about 60% of "drivers" do not know what it's for or how to use it, especially on round-a-bouts.

Is it a sign of weakness to inform other users which way you intend to turn?

Am I supposed to be psychic and just know where they are going...?

Claire Voyant (Mrs)
Re: Quick straw poll - Martyn, Back Room moderator
Well said!
Re: Quick straw poll - Alan
Since many drivers never use their indicators maybe they should be a optional extra.
Re: Quick straw poll - JohnL
I think they already are optional extras on German marques
Re: Claire Voyant - alvin booth
Clare....I thought someone was bound to say its the choke and women are supposed to pull it out and use it for their handbag to swing from.
And Ian (cape town) You seem to talk a lot of sense mate and I agree with all what yer say.
But only three or four pints???are you lot all nancy boys over there?
Alvin
Re: Claire Voyant - Claire Voyant
Alvin,

I'm shocked... you sexist thing.

CV
Re: Quick straw poll - ian (cape town)
Ok, I give up.
What is it?

No, just kidding. I know what it's for, but never use it, as I don't have enough hands to tune the radio, send text messages, light a cigarette and lean my elbow on the windowsill at the same time.

Stupid device anyway - what's the problem? *I* know where I'm going...
Re: Quick straw poll - John Davis
Hear Hear. This has long been a source of irriitation, ie, drivers not indicating correctly when exiting roundabouts. Traffic flow would be much improved if drivers, waiting to enter a roundabout, knew exactly, which exit, approaching vehicles, on their right, intended to take. I agree with Clair, there seems to be some sort of reluctance, by many drivers, to use indicators correctly, on roundabouts
Re: Quick straw poll - Piers
Can I just point out that the indicator gives an 'indication' of intentions.

I've been in a car with someone who considered indicators were gospel truth and would pull out infront of anyone with an indicator on, regardless of whether the car was slowing for the turn or not. I pointed out the delay in the self canceller working if a car had just exited a RAB or junction - reply was that then an accident wouldn't be her fault....

Also, if you see a Caterham being driven along with the indicator going for no reason - it's because there is no self canceller, you can't see the warning light and the buzzer is drowned out by the engine. A flash of lights followed by flicking your indicators is usually a much apprieciated reminder....

Piers
Re: Quick straw poll - CM
your friend is correct. If you are indicating by mistake and some one t-bones you, it is not your fault.

As to indicators use on motorways - IMHO there really is little point as I only drive in the middle lane!!
Do-gooders - ian (cape town)
What is with you people?
Next thing, you'll be going on about us clever drivers who only turn our lights on when it gets really dark. Everybody knows that lightbulbs wear out, so why use them when you can see perfectly well where you are going?
And what's all this fuss about so-called tailgating? I have ABS, y'know, so I can stop on a sixpence. Get out of my bloody way if you feel I'm too close - or speed up!
And why should I sit in traffic jams after work, when there is a perfectly good pub near my office, and by the time I've had three or four pints, the roads are much quieter, and by driving faster, i can still get home at a reasonable hour!
Re: Quick straw poll - T.G.Webb
In our town we're 5 miles from the nearest roundabout but we still have problems with no blinkers. On our short main street cars (including police cars) just quietly detach from the kerb and materialise beside you.
I'll accommodate other drivers where I possibly can but if they can't be bothered to signal I try to ignore them.
Re: Quick straw poll - Flat in Fifth
I have to agree with Piers about the notice you can/cannot take of indicators.

Might have said this before, I forget, but on a driving course we had a long debate about the following situation.

You are sitting at a T junction and a car approaches from your right indicating left. (for johnny foreigner read car approaching from your left indicating right)

The question the instructor asked was what do you positively know about the approaching car.

After quite a long debate we concluded the only thing you *know* is that the flaming indicator bulb is working.

Mind you I reckon there is a market for an indicator device which conveys the message "if the next turning is Station Street I will be turning right otherwise......."

Plus why indicate at all? Everyone knows I turn right here every day!
Re: Quick straw poll - Claire Voyant
F in F,

I agree with your an Piers' observations about indicators only being an indication, my driving instructor suggested we always wait untill it was obvious that a left indicating car was actually turning before pulling out.

As for the otherend of the spectrum, the ones that drive, sometimes for miles, with their indicator flashing on and on...
Does the little flashing light on the instrument console not get annoying? Does the constant click, click, click from the relay not drive them to distraction? Or do they have tunnel vision and the radio on too loud?

for now.

Claire Voyant
Re: Quick straw poll - Brian
Not only roundabouts, the general standard of indicator use in the UK is b****y awful and the cause of a considerable number of accidents.
Many drivers seem to think that so long as their indicator is on when they make the manoevre they are in the clear. IMHO if you have not indicated for a minumum of (say) 3 seconds before commencing the manoevre that counts as not indicating.
The other thing which bugs me, particularly in towns, is drivers sitting in the offside lane at traffic lights on a multiple lane road and only indicate when the lights go green. Traffic behind which has assumed that the vehicle is going straight on are then stuck behind, often for a complete sequence, when with advance warning they would have used the inside lane.
Re: Quick straw poll - Rob S
I always thought that indicators were there for HGV drivers to use when they were already halfway into the middle lane as they try to ousprint a fellow HGV up a hill some 1 or 2 mph faster. If you haven't anticipated this move you end up in the third lane - intentionally or not!

Rob
Cavalier - David W
Rob S,

Just going through some old mags and I've found the story of your Cavalier, excellent. Did they pay well?

David
Re: Cavalier - Rob S
I received a complimentary magazine with the article in - only trouble was I was I had already taken out a subscription!

And they referred to me as insane................ on second thoughts they probably have a point.

Rob
Re: Cavalier - David W
Nice to see your own stuff in print I know but cheeky devils, I thought you'd get £50 min.

Had thought about doing some bits to offer them but I won't bother now.

David
Re: Cavalier - Rob S
David,

I responded to a request for stories of mega-milers and must admit didn't really think of asking for a fee! They did also pay for the photo developing and postage so I'm sure that asking for a small fee would probably be in order, especially if you've got some good stuff.

Rob S
Re: Quick straw poll - Flat in Fifth
Brian,

You are right, I agree totally with the indicating or lack of at lights.

Have to say I indicate till someone pulls up at the back of me who is also turning right then I turn them off until the lights start to change, I think it's called having mechanical sympathy and consideration.

Similar to the strategy of putting your brake lights on if you are back of the queue and someone is approaching a bit quick.

Unfortunately giving our thoughts, right or wrong, on this website is a bit like Ripley's column. The people who need to benefit from it think they don't need to read it in the first place in my experience.

At least most of us on here are willing to learn and recognise that we need to do so.

Stuart
Re: Quick straw poll - Mick
Turn right without indicating and eventually you will kill a motorcyclist.
Re: Claire Voyant - The Real Bogush
"drivers sitting in the offside lane at traffic lights on a multiple lane road and only indicate when the lights go green"

Especially when it's a no right turn junction.

And they sit at the lights untill they turn amber, then pull forward one car length, before turning on red.

BTW Claire: I had the misfortune to be a financial adviser in a former incarnation, with a clairvoyant client. Unfortunately she kept cancelling meetings at the last minute - because "something unexpected had turned up" ;-(
Re: Claire Voyant - Claire Voyant
The Real Bogush and all respondents,

Claire Voyant is not my real name (as you probably guessed), I chose it in relation to the psychic referance in my first post....
I was indecisive about using a false name on this forum but now I'm not so sure.

Claire Voyant (Mrs)
Re: Claire Voyant - Cliff Pope
Has anyone noticed the significant difference in principle in the operation of brake and indicator lights?

Indicators indicate an intention, in anticipation of an action that has not yet commenced.
Brake lights indicate that braking has already started.
There used to be a way of indicating "I am about to slow down" - it was called a hand signal.
Hand signals - ian (cape town)
When was the last time you saw anybody hand-signalling, Cliff?
Recently I had to drive with no indicators - and people looked at me like I was mad when I made the left-turn signal...
what narks me is some ponce driving down the road with elbow resting on sill, hand in the air. To me that's "I am going to turn right", to him it's "Mmm, the wind is warm today."
Re: Hand signals - Claire Voyant
Ian,

I don't think hand signals have formed part of the UK driving test for years now.

Most 20 somethings (or even 30 somethings) would know what you were doing if you were moving your right arm up and down (palm downward) in a regular motion... see >> www.roads.dtlr.gov.uk/roadsafety/hc/images/page71....g

Most hand signals seem to consist of 1 or 2 fingers, meaning I'M GOING FIRST (1 finger) & YOUR SECOND! (2 fingers). I hope they mean that!

Claire Voyant (Mrs)
EDIT

....would NOT know what you were doing if you were moving....

CV
Re: Hand signals - Ronnie Courtney
"Most 20 somethings (or even 30 somethings) would know what you were doing if you were moving your right arm up and down (palm downward) in a regular motion... "

Claire - Would? *Wouldn't!*

Ronnie
Ronnie,
You are right but...
you should have refreshed you screen, I beat you by a few minutes.

CV
Re: Hand signals - Ronnie Courtney
*Just* like a girl - always has to have the last word! Didn't you see that coming?

Anyway, why stop at "thirtysomethings" .....

Ronnie
Ronnie,

It seems that the 40 + brigade were trained in the proper use of hand signals and are generally more courtious and tolerant road users. Perhaps it's the "I've been there, seen that, read the book, worn the t-shirt" experience that mellows us. Or perhaps it's because you get to realise that being the car in front (Damned Toyotas...) all the time is not that important.

Claire Voyant (Mrs)
Re: Hand signals - Brian
In a similar vein, does anyone know what those shiny things are for?
The one on the stalk at the top of the windscreen can be turned round to see in to comb your hair, put on your lipstick, remove eyelashes etc., but I'm dam*ed if I know what you do with the ones outside, they won't swivel far enough to do the above, half the time they are covered in rain, mist, bird doo-doos or ice and even when they are clear all you can see is where you've been. And you already know that, so there's no point in looking.
Re: Hand signals - Tomo
Trying to remember which way to twirl the whip!
Re: Cavalier - Ronnie Courtney
Claire

I'm sure you are probably right about the use of indicators (and hand signals)being a generational problem. However, if (to quote your opening post on this thread, "60% of "drivers" do not know what it's for or how to use it, especially on roundabouts"), then:

a. Gawd help us, since that percentage is likely to increase continuously over time

b. 90% of drivers round here must be under 40, which seems very highly unlikely (particularly in a fairly popular retirement area!)

Why is at apparently so "wrong" or "weak" to indicate *invariably and in advance* if one is going to change lanes, change direction at roundabouts, turn left or right, leave the roadside or stop at the roadside - *even* if one believes there is no other traffic around (so as to make it positively second nature, like braking accelerating or steering)? That's what I was taught when I learned to drive and, given the volume of traffic on most of Britain's roads to day, surely one's self-preservatory instincts, desire to maintain a NCD if insured, or desire not to be caught if not insured, far outweigh the mental and physical effort required to operate the indicators.

We must have *some* first-class long-term driving instructors out there, both working and retired, and it would be illuminating to know from them what they have been telling learner drivers over the years about indicators and ahnd signals and, particularly, what they tell their pupils nowadays. Paul Ripley's views would be a good start.

I have to go now - there's every indication that I'm going to have a turn ....

Ronnie

PS Do you have a French cousin called Deja Vu?
Re: Cavalier - Claire Voyant
Ronnie,

Didn't you just say that? !!!

CV
Re: quick straw poll - fred bear
The lever is definitely not a choke because when I move it a set of extra side lights come on. Problem is there's a fault and the lights wont stay on, instead they flicker rhythmically - could they be picking up on the beat from the radio?
"Sidelights" - Why? - Rob Govier
What purpose do sidelights serve?

Would someone please tell me?

rg
Re: "Sidelights" - Why? - alf
Thats an easy one, they are specifically designed for two types of people.
Rather than drive around with your headlights on all the time which would seem to most of us to be sensible...day and night. These people think they are saving the World/battery/wear and tear on the bulbs by only having sidelights on.

Those in the second camp are clearly on a death wish, not a problem for me...unless they take some unsuspecting bu**er with them. In the North of Scotland there are not many motorways or dual carriageways. it rains a lot. Spray everywhere impossible to overtake safely as you can't see what's coming 'cos drivers insist on using sidelights -if you are lucky. Low sun in winter will guarantee that you'll never see a car approaching out of the sun unless he has his headlights on. The roads up here are death traps enough due to built-in frustration factor, accidents are costly all round, millions of people drive, have you ever seen any public information advice on TV or anywhere to hammer such a simple message home?

Unfortunately, I see a significant numer of 'professional drivers' HGV etc who drive around in these conditions using just their sidelights....my brain hurts, never could understand simple concepts. Give me rocket science anyday!

P.S. For the unconvinced, please don't flash me if you see me driving during the day with my headlights on......I Know!!!
Re: "Sidelights" - Why? - David W
Rob,

I would say there are conditions where sidelamps make you visible but headlamps are not required. The advantage of the sidelamp is not producing the effect of hiding anything behind it.

Remember most cars now will have a dim-dip system whereby the whole reflector is used to give a reasonable light.

The old Land Rover sidelamps are quite poor I agree. Their standard headlamps are about the same as a modern car on dim-dip.

David