What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Micra - what's it worth ? - ubidenmark
Colleague at work selling Micra 1.0S, 2002, 40k miles for £2500 ono. Wondered if it might fit the bill for my daughter?s first car. Anyone say what it is worth ? What questions should I be asking the seller ?

Thanks
Micra - what's it worth ? - mare
just had a quick look at Auto Trader and down my way (Bristol) £2500 gets a 1999/2000 car from dealers.

I had a S reg 1 litre Twister. Lovely little car, but stripped out. No cigarette lighter, no power steering, but it had aircon. Fun to drive though. But make sure it's got power steering, you'd be hard pressed to sell it on without it i think these days.

Twice i moved the car from drive to road or vice versa on a cold night and flooded the engine. Called the AA out both times. That was the only hassle i had from it in two years. Did trips to York, Manchester and so on in it, no problems. Good choice for a first car.
Micra - what's it worth ? - ubidenmark
Thanks, they have the reputation of being very reliable and cheap to maintain. I don't know about the safety side.
Micra - what's it worth ? - Aprilia
Good reliable little cars.

Check the engine for timing chain rattle; head gasket leaks. Check underneath for rust - there is not much rust protection on these. Check especially at the back of the sills and the front crossmember (which is partially hidden by all the front trimmings). In fact it would be worth having it inspected, or at least up on ramps and a look underneath.
They can flood if started only briefly, but there is a wiring mod to the coolant sensor which the dealers will know about.

Price looks just a little high, but if the car is 'known' as a good one then could be worth it.

As others have said, make sure it has PAS.
Micra - what's it worth ? - Round The Bend
Looks a good buy at that price. I'd say it is an ideal first car. We sold my wife's 1999T 72k for £1,575 in October to a chap whose daughter had just passed her test.
_______
IanS
Micra - what's it worth ? - carl_a
All Micras regardless of version have power steeting as standard from T plate 1999.
Micra - what's it worth ? - googolplex
Excellent purchase. SWMBO's had two. We only swapped to get a later model with PAS. Makes a big difference.
Completely uncomplicated and runs like clockwork - even though she very rarely does anything other than short runs.
Highly recommended.
Splodgeface
Micra - what's it worth ? - johncyprus
If it's as you describe you can't go wrong with this car, there is enormous demand for good low mileage Micra's. When I recently advertised my immaculate 1996 Micra 1.0 Shape 3 door ( also with 40k miles ) for £1195 the phone didn't stop ringing, got the asking price too. It would be a safe dependable first car.