What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
radio intermittent on FM only-volvo 850 - Editor
Hiya

I'm currently looking after a '95 Volvo 850Glt-the 2.5 20V saloon-not T5. And would you adam & eve it, but the radio has had a hissy fit. Fine on AM, LW, cassete but FM sometime fine & then it drops to almost inaudible (can just hear voices at max vol). This usually accompanies going over a road bump & whilst it's being quiet you can here power thumps going over other bumps. Have had it out-checked all conections & cleaned. What should I be conncentrating on-aerial short at body end? Or is it just messed up? Quite interesting because the FM on my friends micra can now only get the very strongest of FM signals-neither seems to be down to any radio settings.

Thank you all.
--
www.bayingbasset.com

radio intermittent on FM only-volvo 850 - Collos25
I did hear the BBC had turned the power on some FM transmissions to push DAB.
radio intermittent on FM only-volvo 850 - dereckr
What's the model number of the set? About this vintage, several of the Volvo sets suffered tuner faults. As regards the BBC reducing power to push DAB...sounds like "pub talk" to me.
radio intermittent on FM only-volvo 850 - Collos25
No reality ,due to available bandwith
radio intermittent on FM only-volvo 850 - jc2
I thought it was the other way round;they're trying to squeeze so many stations in on DAB,they are reducing quality of signal to less than FM/RDS.
seeing as it manifests itself as an intermittment fault (so far as Volvo is concerned) I really don't see the DAB/ anaolgue tx power as an issue-which sounds bogus anyhow.

So far as my friends car is concerned my Pug, with it's many faults, has perfect reception in exactly the same area.

I'll look up the exact model number, but as general principle, what would be the effect of an aerial shorting to ground? I would imagine that AM & LW would be unaffected, but FM compromised. But I really don't know for sure-does anyone know please? Incidentally the aerial is one of those powered jobs, in that turn on set, up pops the aerial, turn off & down it goes. Aerial shaft & segments are lubed & have free action-which it didn't until me & my mate WD paid it a visit. Car itself has been parked outside since Septemeber, which it didn't used to be.
--
www.bayingbasset.com

radio intermittent on FM only-volvo 850 - Kevin
Mmmm,

Sounds like a dry joint in the FM tuner section to me.

Are you any good with a soldering iron?

Kevin...
yes-reasonably proficient-hey I even have a solder sucker!!

Kev, I did open up the unit & have a really good look around (can spot a dry joint-I've made a few myself), but nothing obvious.

Come on chaps-surely some one here knows what the impact of an aerial short on FM? You wouldn't want the ex-engineers on a certain bike forum to beat you to it?!

Thanks for help so far. Will post up exact model number when I get home on Friday.
--
www.bayingbasset.com

You have already told us that the AM reception is fine. That eliminates a possibility of an aerial short, which would kill any MW/LW reception. If you have good AM reception, all of the time, the aerial is OK! The particular model Volvo set I have in mind is made for them by Mitsubishi. It has an ALPS (Alpine) manufactured tuner module, that becomes intermittent. You won't see anything without dismantling the tuner and no way is this a DIY job. There is a company called Central Services of Spring Road, Ipswich, who for many years were the Volvo service centre for these. This is the place to contact.
I have been out of the car radio (repair) business for a couple of years so I'm unable to give the full address or know whether they still exist.

Hope this helps.
Thank you Dereckr.

Model number on the facia is:

CR-905. is this one of these culprits?
--
www.bayingbasset.com

Yes, if memory serves correctly!
I'ts probably best to contact the company I told you about in order to get some idea of cost. These are a well built set and probably worth getting repaired, especially if it is running a CD changer in the car.
radio intermittent on FM only-volvo 850 - Stuartli
According to a business directory, this is the phone number:

01473 725953

Map of location:

tinyurl.com/pu82v
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by