What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
lifetime warranties - joe mack
It must be back in the 1980's that Japanese manufacturers introduced 3 year warranties. Since then, nothing much seems to have moved on. I think Hyundai now give a 5 year warranty but I wonder if thats a marketing thing, as they try to increase market share, rather than a permanent global commitment by Hyundai.

European manufacturers have, grudgingly I think, brought in longer warranties. I think that the EU may have forced them to do so. On the technical matters thread, there are never ending tales of woe about things that really shouldn't break imho.

Isn't it time warranties, on certain components at least, were essentially lifetime. Particularly things that have no moving parts. I'm thinking of things like ECU's, sensors, & connectors. What do backroomers think ?
lifetime warranties - defender
volvo dabbled with this in the late 80 s early 90,s .I had a 1990 740 with lifetime care for which if you kept dealer service they fixed problems and you paid for the wear you had out of the failed part,it worked ok for me and included rac membership . I kept it up for 10 years and they still helped out with price of parts and fitted them in event of failure.
always thought it must have cost them money
lifetime warranties - barrywi
Perhaps its time to make it compulsory for car manufacturers to provide a lifetime cover. Perhaps then they could produce ECU's and electronic devices that dont pack in just after the warranty period. Everything on cars less than 10 years old seems to be controlled by "modules" which allegedly can't be repaired . I had to have two fitted to a Peugeot recently before I could sell it and they were over £150 . I bet inside the box there was just a relay and a few resistors. I think the manufacturers make more money out of spare parts now than they do on new sales.
lifetime warranties - Galaxy
Wasn't there a time once when, if you had your car repaired at a Ford Main Dealer, then that repair was guaranteed for life?

I don't think Ford would dare do that today!
lifetime warranties - Altea Ego
And how much more are you prepared to pay for your lifetime warranty? 20%? 30%? 40%
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
lifetime warranties - machika
I have seen stickers on the windows of cars at Available Car that say 'Lifetime Warranty'.
lifetime warranties - machika
I could be wrong about Available Car, as I can't see any mention of it on their web site. I know I have seen it somewhere in the last two weeks though.
lifetime warranties - Bill Payer
And how much more are you prepared to pay for your
lifetime warranty? 20%? 30%? 40%

They get much longer warranties in the US (even on UK built Jag's) and cars are cheaper there.
lifetime warranties - Number_Cruncher
I can't get excited about warranties. However, I suppose that I don't buy expensive cars. I've never claimed for anything significant on a warranty during the last 20 years.

They are an excellent means of keeping you in thrall to the dealers.

As such, I don't worry about servicing and maintaining my own car even though its warranty is still in force.

Number_Cruncher
lifetime warranties - Altea Ego
On US Jaguars they get 10,000 miles less warranty than the UK and pre tax there is little price difference.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
lifetime warranties - Bill Payer
On US Jaguars they get 10,000 miles less warranty than the
UK and pre tax there is little price difference.

Hmm - it runs for 4 yrs though. I did think they had a longer 'power train' warranty - many US vehicles have 7 yrs.
lifetime warranties - jase1
Don't Mitsubishi still do the 6-year drivetrain warranty? (ISTR that Mitsi were the ones who started the whole 3-year warranty thing in the first place).

Surely the answer here is to buy the AA's limited warranty for £50 a year which covers you for 3 repairs at £500 each? Can't see many cars exceeding this in any one year to be honest.
lifetime warranties - Aprilia
IIRC Nissan and Hyundai in the US offer 10years (used to something like 5 years bumper to bumper and then the remianing 5 years on powertrain).
By law, all emission control systems on US-market cars must be warranted 8 years or 100k miles (i.e. covers cat, oxygen sensors, engine sensors, ECU etc).