What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Halfords chip repair system & rust - tyro
I recently purchased a 'Halfords Stone Chip and Scratch Repair System" 3 pen kit.

In the instructions, it says "Use the special glass fibre preparation tool to remove any loose/flaking paint and all rust from the chip or scratch".

I've not tried it yet.

My question is about the most effective way of dealing with rust. How will this tool compare with using wet and dry papers or one of the chemical rust removers (like Kurust)?
Halfords chip repair system & rust - martint123
How will this tool compare with using wet and dry papers or one of the chemical rust removers (like Kurust)?

Badly.
Halfords chip repair system & rust - tyro
And if I may add a supplementary,

How will wet & dry papers compare with one of the chemical rust removers?
Halfords chip repair system & rust - Waino
When repairing a stonechip on the edge of the bonnet, I found the 'special glassfibre preparation tool' thingy about as useful as a marzipan doorknocker - and resorted to very fine sandpaper.
Halfords chip repair system & rust - Hamsafar
The fibre glass tool is gentler than most methods, and may not get through paint that is still fairly intact but has rust underneath.
Unless you remove all the paint under which rust that has crept then it will come back in a short space of time.
Use what ever tool is best to remove the rust and paint, followed by kurust to reduce (deoxidise) the rust.
You can then prime and paint.
Halfords chip repair system & rust - AlastairW
I have used the pen system (two in my case as its a solid colour). I got to it quickly enough for rust not to be a problem, but not impressed by colour match or finish. Still, no rust 12 months after the repair, so not all bad.
Halfords chip repair system & rust - Dynamic Dave
Not sure if they still do it, but the last time I bought a touch up pen from Vauxhall, it came with a small wire brush in the cap which you had to pull out then invert back into the cap to use. It was really good at getting down into the stone chip to remove any surface rust that had set in, and to provide a key for the paint to adhere to.
Halfords chip repair system & rust - Navara Van man
Wet and dry paper, a wipe with zylene to degrease folowed by primer and top caot aplied using an artists brush.

Thined down smoth white hamerite on the vans as its quicker than fidiling with primer and is a excelent colour match.
Halfords chip repair system & rust - bell boy
my marzipan doorknocker works fine and means anyone who knocks on my door gets ignored as i neither owe them or need them thanks (the motor link????? they need to drive to my gaff as it"s too far to walk)
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Halfords chip repair system & rust - martint123
I'd go for the sandpapaer followed by the rust preventer. If there is bubbling under the paint, you have to rub it down until you're at proper metal and treat it.

Those chip kits are fine to put a dab of paint in a fresh chip to stop it rusting, but one the rust gets beyond just discolouring the metal harsher treatment is needed.
Halfords chip repair system & rust - AlanGowdy
I just wish Halfords would expand the range of colours available. I went to get some Eclipse blue for my SEAT - a common enough SEAT colour - only to find that H's entire SEAT range consisted of 3 colours, none of which appeared to be current.

Having said that, the paint I got to fix the damage caused by the actions of a careless oaf in a supermarket carpark on my wife's Ford worked quite well and the fine brush and the nib point are an improvement over the fairly coarse brushes they used to use.
Halfords chip repair system & rust - mfarrow
The glass fibre thingy is rubbish. It will fall out of its silver holder and never actually remove any rust.

I've found that the only way to get rust of of a stone chip is with a screwdriver. Just don't dig too deep! Using sandpaper will just stratch the surrounding paintwork and turn your little chip into a gastly chip the size of your thumbnail.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Halfords chip repair system & rust - JH
M,
I agree. Modern paintwork is pretty resistant to stone chips. I use a small screwdriver or even a bradawl to scrape the chip clear of rust, prime it and paint it. I never get any problems with subsequent rusting. Just take care to fill the chip carefully. w & d is going to damage the surrounding area. I will use w & d if it's a bigger chip and smooth off the paint edges. Of course galvanised steel may have something to do with the lack of rust!
JH