What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo or 9-3? - PhilDS
I'm just about to start a new job and have been sent the company car list. There are just 18 vehicles on it, 12 of which are Ford. This is in stark contrast to my old company who would let you have whatever you liked as long as you were prepared to pay for anything over your allowance. The new company will only fit extras if I pay for them myself.
I must admit having a limited list does make decision making somewhat easier and also saves my girlfriend being talked at endlessly about whether I should get this model or that extra.

After a few minutes perusing, I've managed to narrow down my selection to the following and would appreciate any feedback:

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Ghia X 5dr
Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium 5dr
Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Vector Sport 4dr

If it helps, there are 3 if us in our family (including our 18 month old daughter). I will be driving at least 30k miles a year and regularly travel to see family in Oldham and Tunbridge Wells from our home in Southampton.

The Mondeos offer practicality and some opulence (although the mahogany and leather steering wheel on the Ghia X may get me some ribbing from my mates). I've driven the 2.0 TDCi and liked the performance. The Saab looks smart and is very highly specced but is only a saloon (the list is so limited I can't even get the estate) and I gather the engine is quite strong.

My mind is split between what's right in my head - Mondeo - and what's right in my heart - Saab.

All feedback appreciated.

Many thanks,

Phil DS
Mondeo or 9-3? - blue_haddock
Saab every time for me.
Mondeo or 9-3? - cheddar
I have done over 100k in my 2002 Ghia X (which does not have a wooden s/wheel!) and would have another. The Mondeo is more gutsy at low revs thanks to higher torque and is as powerful in bhp terms as the Saab (as per rolling road figures) despite Ford claming a conservative 130ps. Also I would say that the Mondeo is a touch crisper / sharper handling wise though very little in it.

The 9-3 is a nice car, and looks great in Vector spec, I too would find it difficult though the Mondeo's 5 doors might sway me.

My Ghia X is ebony wood effect, if you do not like the natural rosewood or whatever it is in the new model could you have a Titanium X, a little less well specced that the Ghia X though more sporty externally?

Otherwise how about a Ghia, still great spec, with the stonking 2.2 TDCi engine?
Mondeo or 9-3? - Micky
If the badge is important then choose the SAAB.

Otherwise, it has to be the Mundano.
Mondeo or 9-3? - Mr.Tee43
Why not test drive both and get the one you like best ?

Simple !
Mondeo or 9-3? - peterb
I recently test drove the Saab. Everything was good except the rather low rent interior. Personally, I couldn't cope with it, but you may not feel that way.

PS Don't forget that the Mondeo will probably be replaced before too much longer.
Mondeo or 9-3? - Blue {P}
It's an awkward choice.

Out of the Mondeo's I would have to go with the Modeno Ghia X though rather than Titanium. I'm only 21 but I found I liked the steering wheel in the Ghia X a LOT. The car looks great in Panther Black with the cream leather interior...

Vector looks nice too though...

Decisions decisions!

Blue
Mondeo or 9-3? - adverse camber
If you have small children then the saab has limited rear legroom and the seatbelts are very short - difficult to fasten many car seats in.

The mondeo is much bigger - so I'm told.
Mondeo or 9-3? - barchettaman
The hatchback practicality (buggy, family clutter etc etc) of the Mondeo might sway the decision that way for me, Phil - and I´ve got a Swedish wife!
The Mondeo estate is colossal BTW, is that on the list?
Mondeo or 9-3? - Round The Bend
How long do you have to keep the car before replacement? If it's only 12/24 months then either car is very acceptable.

As a Mondeo driver I'd go for the Saab ..........
_______
IanS
Mondeo or 9-3? - Martin Sweeney
As others have said there's very little between them on performance . I found the Saab more attractive externally but a let down inside with a drap dash. The more pertinent problem with the Saab would be the squeeze in the back if your wife wanted to sit in the back and play with your daughter. The Mondeo is much better in this regard and you will be spared the misery of having your daughter kick the hell out of your seat. The Mondeo's boot is also a lot better for hauling all of your daughter's gear. I'd go for the mondeo in this situation.
Mondeo or 9-3? - cheddar
Is the Saab actually the 150, if it is the 120 then it is a no brainer.
Mondeo or 9-3? - ablandy
what is th BIK like for each of these? I must admit that i think the mondeo would be the better car, especially as you have a family. But the saab is a bit cooler.

Just out of interest, what else was on the list?
Mondeo or 9-3? - commerdriver
May be a bit biased having just taken a 93 vector sport as my company car for the next 4 years, I would go for the SAAB every time, the new ones are much roomier than the old hatchback and the boot is big.
For me it was the driveability, the 150 diesel engine, the very compfortable seats and the Saab dealer I use that swung it. Good Ford dealers near where I work are very rare.
The best way if you can is to do what I did, drive the ones you might choose and go for the one that you like best, we are all different.
Mondeo or 9-3? - PhilDS
Thanks for the feedback.

Have now reacquainted myself with the Ghia X this morning. I'm glad I did as the brochures show cream interiors which worried me a little (I'm only 34) and the black is much better. The boot also looks cavernous (it's not much bigger than the Saab's, it's just more accessible).
I'm also 6'2" and I was surprised at the lack of rear leg room behind me in the Saab (especially as it's based on the Vectra which I have found better). My daughter's baby seat goes behind me so my girlfriend can sleep on long distance journeys so avoiding leg kicking opportunities would be great.

The Saab BIK is £4825 vs £4473 for the Mondeo which reflects the list price difference (CO2 is exactly the same). Not sure if the Saab is the 150 or the 120 (the list is vague). But you're right Cheddar, I will avoid the Saab if it's the 8 valve version. Also the Saab comes with 2 tone upholstery. If you choose dark leather, you get cream cloth inserts - not child friendly!

My gut says to go with my head. The Saab is a handsome looking car but may prove too much of a compromise in the long term (I'll have it for around 2.5 years when my daughter will be four and will no doubt have a sibling). The Mondeo is a practical and attractive proposition, that should fit my long term needs more easily.

PS I used to have an Alhambra so I will have to get used to not having enormous amounts of leg and headroom, an ultra cavernous boot and moonlighting as a mini cab driver on Friday nights (joke).

Mondeo or 9-3? - PhilDS
Just out of interest, what else was on the list?

Here's the list.

Ford Focus Titanium 2.0 Petrol
Ford Focus Titanium 2.0 TDCI
Ford Focus C Max Ultima TDCI
Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 Petrol Est.
Ford Mondeo Ghia 2.0 Petrol
Ford Mondeo Ghia 2.0 TDCI
Ford Mondeo Ghia 2.0 Petrol Est.
Ford Mondeo Ghia 2.0 TDCI Est.
Ford Mondeo Ghia X 2.0 Petrol
Ford Mondeo Ghia X 2.0 TDCI
Ford Mondeo Ghia X 2.0 Petrol Est
Ford Mondeo Ghia X 2.0 TDCI Est
Audi A4 SE 2.0 FSI Petrol
Audi A4 SE 2.0 TDI
BMW 320 SE Petrol
BMW 320 SE TDI
Jaguar X Type TDI
SAAB 93 Vector Sport TDI

Personal mileage dictates a diesel. Not being a contortionist removes the 320 and A4. Jag is saloon only and Classic spec as far as I'm aware.
Mondeo or 9-3? - Roly93
I had a diesel 93SS myself, and would not recommend them. Addmittedly mine wasnt a company car, it was my own so some of the issues perhaps wouldnt bother a company car driver.
I decided to get the Saab as a change from Audi/BMW, but the reality is that the quality of the SaaB isn't anything like I was used to. I had the car for 18 months, and didn't have any major problems other than minor software-related glitches which didn't re-occur. However, what annoyed me about the car was the constant new rattles, creaks both inside and out, the poor quality of the interior trim, wheelnuts rusting after a year, and the relatively poor fuel consumption of the diesel motor, compared to its rivals. Also, if you go for the Vector Sport the handling is fairly good, but the ride comfort is very much compromised I think.
I respect SaaBs of old, but unfortunately now they are largely a badge-engineered Vauxhall, but with far higher running costs than a Vauxhall !
Mondeo or 9-3? - commerdriver
Also, if you go for the Vector Sport the handling is fairly >> good,but the ride comfort is very much compromised I think.

>>

The ride in the vector sport was what sold it to SWMBO for me I like the handling she likes the ridebest of both worlds.

It does ride and handle far better than the hatchback but I had one of these for 4 years 100,000 miles and loved it.

PLeased with the new one so far btw
Mondeo or 9-3? - school boy
Get the saab, 150 bhp, 5-star N-cap (higherst scorer in class), exelent build quality.
Mondeo or 9-3? - jdc
Working for one of the big two breakdown organisations, I personally would avoid Saab.

The number of Saab's I have to recover from the roadside on a weekly basis is quite frankly not what you would expect from a supposedly quality car. Electrics seem to be biggest issue - recently I recovered two that had simply burst into flames.

I know this is only my experience and may not reflect the overall quality of Saab but they increasingly top my own 'top-of-the-flops' list that I compile at work.

The Mondeo on the otherhandd is an infrequent visitor to that list......

jdc
Mondeo or 9-3? - Round The Bend
I know this is only my experience and may not reflect the overall quality of Saab but they increasingly top my own 'top-of-the-flops' list that I compile at work.>>

jdc, would be fascinated to see your top-of-the-flops charts on a separate thread.
_______
IanS
Mondeo or 9-3? - jdc
IanS

I might just get round to that shortly .......

jdc
Mondeo or 9-3? - Happy Blue!
Frankly, I woud go for the Focus C-Max Ultima TDCi. Better drivinf position, very comfortable, great for your daughter to see out of.

Avoid the Saab. Awful dealers, low rent interior, very hard ride. Mondeo is 2nd in my list, as you need to think practically with child plus one more maybe and 30,000miles pa.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Mondeo or 9-3? - Blue {P}
The Cmax Ultima looks incredible in Black, very smart and the bodykit that's standard fit really finishes it off.

I'd still have a Ghia X Mondy myself though, I think they're beautiful to drive.

Blue
Mondeo or 9-3? - PhilDS
The C-Max Ultima has been dicontinued. If it was available, I may have considered it.
Mondeo or 9-3? - PhilDS
Have now ordered my car:

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 130 Ghia X Estate in Panther Black with Ebony Leather and privacy glass.

I'm especially looking forward to the climate controlled seats!

I'm moving house in a couple of months so Ikea is going to be a busier place as soon as it arrives!
Mondeo or 9-3? - machika
Avoid the Saab. Awful dealers, low rent interior, very hard ride.
Mondeo is 2nd in my list, as you need to
think practically with child plus one more maybe and 30,000miles pa.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need
a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?

>>

Well, I have yet to sit in any Mondeo and be impressed with the interior. I'm obviously missing something, because all of the Saabs I have sat in have had decent interiors and great seats. The seats in a Mondeo aren't in the same league.
Mondeo or 9-3? - googolplex
Aw! Machika.... That was a bit harsh; Phil's just spent a hat load of money. The last thing he wants is to be told he has wasted it....

Good on you Phil. I have a Ghia, and my only regret is not to go for the ghia x. Superb car. Have fun!
Splodgeface
Mondeo or 9-3? - MichaelR
Well, I have yet to sit in any Mondeo and be
impressed with the interior. I'm obviously missing something, because all
of the Saabs I have sat in have had decent interiors
and great seats. The seats in a Mondeo aren't in
the same league.

Thats interesting becuase I have yet to sit in any Saab and not find the entire dashboard irritatingly bland and ugly. Whereas most Mondeo's are really rather nice inside.
Mondeo or 9-3? - machika
Thats interesting becuase I have yet to sit in any Saab
and not find the entire dashboard irritatingly bland and ugly. Whereas
most Mondeo's are really rather nice inside.

>>

Well, if you like a preponderence of black, but I don't happen to do so. My wife and I sat in 9-5 the other day and we both thought it was lovely, especially the dash. We also sat in a Mondeo Ghia, that was a few years old, and it was beginning to look tatty inside.

As for the seats, as I said, the Saab had wonderful seats.
Mondeo or 9-3? - Adam {P}
So let me get this straight - you sat in an old Mondeo and it was tatty inside?

God help Ford eh?
Mondeo or 9-3? - machika
It was only 3 or 4 years old, with low mileage. Our C5 is getting on for five years old and looks as new inside.
Mondeo or 9-3? - machika
Yes, I know it's considered heresy on this site to make any criticism of a Ford, even an implied one, but it only evens up the score with all of the jibes about other makes!