What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford Mondeo 2004 - Car alarm problem - Graz
Hi,

I have a ford Mondeo 2004, has anyone heard of problems with alarms on these cars?, my alarm goes off several times a night for no reason.

What could trigger an alarm or be faulty with it to make it do this do you think?

Help greatly appreciated

Car alarm - Robbie
Check for a spider as I had this happen to me. A spider had got into the car and was swinging from the interior mirror. This triggered the ultrasonic sensor.
Car alarm - Quinny100
Which model is it? All have an alarm, but only the ST versions have a proper Cat 1 alarm with interior sensors as standard.

If yours is just the standard fit alarm, then its more than likely a problem with one of the door switches or, most likely the bonnet switch. There is a test procedure you can go through to test the door switches but I don't know how to activate it.

If its a 2004 is it not still under warranty?
Car alarm - Adam {P}
To enter test mode, open and close the door 5 or 6 times quickly and the alarm will chirp.

To look like less of an idiot, you can open the bonnet and find the switch that gets depressed when you close it. Press that quickly until it chirps.

I'm afraid I don't know where that switch is on the Mk 3 Mondeo so you're probably best going with the door idea unless the location of the switch is obvious.
Car alarm - Graz
Hi,

Its 2.0TDCI Ghia so must have standard alarm,

What does the test mode do, once I have completed test what am I looking for?

It is still under warranty and have booked in for next sat for another reason, next sat.

Havent got manual yet, can you tell me if one dab on remote key locks car without alarm and 2 dabs locks with alarm.

If I want the car locked with immobilizer do I have to make two dabs, I would like to not have to disturb neighbours b4 next sat.

Thanks
Car alarm - Adam {P}
Hi Graz,

I replied to a similar problem a while ago. Because I'm lazy I'll just post the same here;

Hi Jon,

I think I read recently (on here) that the bonnet switch on Mondeos was the cause of some odd problems. There is a trick you could do but I'm unsure as to whether it could help you diagnose an oversensitive switch. You can try it anyway though;

You can either a) Open and close a door numerous times in quick succession until the alarm chirps (trust me!) or b) open the bonnet and look for a switch near the front of the car. It goes in when the bonnet is closed and is probably encased in rubber. Press that loads of times until the alarm chirps briefly.

However you've done it, you're now in "Alarm Diagnostic Mode". Opening a door or boot will result in a brief chirp to let you know that's what would set the alarm off ordinarily. I would suggest pressing that bonnet catch button in to simulate the bonnet being closed and then releasing it. It should chirp once. If it does it whilst the button is depressed, then there's your problem.

I know it's a long shot and it probably won't work. After typing this reply I've just realised you've got internal sensors which could well be the problem. It isn't an aftermarket alarm is it? I think the Mondeos only had the door pillar grilles as internal sensors but could be wrong.

Good luck anyway,

Adam

With regards to the alarm, I'm not sure whether it's activated as soon as you lock it or when you double lock it (when the indicators flash).

The immobiliser is active whenever you remove the key though.
Car alarm - Graz
Thanks all very much,

I`ll try these, the other strange thing is that the alarm only ever goes off at night, never in the day time.

Could darkness or cold have an effect on the alarm too?

Graz
Car alarm - Graz
Hi,

I tried all the tests above and the car does not chirp as it should when going into diagnostic mode, I`m at a loss now.

Oh yes and I have checkd for spiders :> there are none and I do not think the car has any internal sensors.

One thing I do note is that the alarm is set with one dab on the key remote, hazard lights do not come on when the alarm sets, they do comeon when the car is unlocked by remote though for a second and then they fade.

When I lock the car and dab the lock button on the key for a second time I hear some internal workings on the doors but do not hear see any flashing hazard lights so I`m not sure what that does.

G
Car alarm - jc
Most cars with internal sensors can have them turned off-in case,God forbid,you leave children or animals in the car.RTFM.
Car alarm - Adam {P}
Do the indicators flash when you go into Diagnostic Mode? If they don't, then you're not in Diag Mode!
Car alarm - Dynamic Dave
Could darkness or cold have an effect on the alarm too?

Check the bonnet pin switch. Metal expands and contracts with heat and cold. As it tends to only go off when cold, it *could* be that the bonnet pin switch is only just being pressed when the bonnet is closed and when the bonnet contracts slightly with the cold it could be enough to activate the pin switch.

Either that, or you've got a nocturnal alarm!
ford Mondeo 2004 - Car alarm problem - John Watts

Mondeo Ghia X 55 plate: Only solution I have found is to flood every switch (bonnet / tailgate / all doors) with WD 40... Switches are located somewhere behind the catches. Poke the tube in and press and hold...