What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
3 series reign of terror - Pat
In an attempt to get back to normal.....

I read today (browsing in Tesco) that Top Gear magazine names the BMW 3 series as best executive car, calling it 'near perfect'. Is it really that good? My experiences with a E30 320i and a friend's problems with a E36 318i weren't that confidence inspiring. Nice looking cars but not that reliable.

Is this new model the all-conquering motor it's cracked up to be? I've never driven one (went for the Audi at a better price!), so I'd value comments.

Pat
Re: 3 series reign of terror - richard turpin
My 328i Touring with M suspension is very fast, has loads of grip, makes a fabulous noise, is really comfortable and returns 30 MPG overall.
Anything else you need to know?
Re: 3 series reign of terror - Pat
Yes, how can I afford one? Suppose I'll have to be content with my A4 TDi, though the 50mpg is a bit of a consolation!

Just checked HJ's opinion of the 3 series on this site. He seems to like it (understatement of the year).

Pat
Re: 3 series reign of terror - John S
Richard

I'd agree - except my 323i coupe (also on the M Tech suspension) does a few more miles/gall.

regards

john
Pat, Mine has leather and air is 98 R and 77,000 miles and cost £10,000. I sold a similar car in 2000 which was 3 years old, but no air or leather and got £13,000. I think prices have come down.

John, You probably don't hare around like a maniac. I must slow down, but it's such FUN!

Rob, I think it was the saloon E30 which was tail happy. The Touring is fine.
Re: 3 series reign of terror - Pat
Yours must be the previous model (E36), hence the price drop. E46 came on the S plate I think.

Pat
Re: 3 series reign of terror - Paul Richards
I have an M47 320d SE Touring with the 150 BHP engine and am absolutely
delighted with both the performance and build quality, which I now feel is much
better than the `C` class Merc. The fuel consumption is superb with over 50 m.p.g. on motorway. Pat if you can afford one, you won`t regret it!!
Re: 3 series reign of terror - Keithb
"I have an M47 320d SE Touring with the 150 BHP engine and am absolutely
delighted with both the performance and build quality, which I now feel is much
better than the `C` class Merc. The fuel consumption is superb with over 50 m.p.g. on motorway."

I agree completely. My 330d saloon hasn't seen a dealer since I collected it with 9 miles on the clock in Holland, saving >£5K. Now 1 year old and I love the car, especially the performance and the build quality. Everything feels right and is so well designed and thought out. Fuel consumption normally 42 m.p.g. using the performance but have achieved over 50 m.p.g. on a slow, steady speed motorway run. First service due in 1 year's time at 13000 miles according to the computer.
Pat

Yes, saloons switched on the '98 S plate, but Coupes and Tourings were later.

Regards

John
Richard

No, probably not a maniac, but I do sometimes have trouble with the fuel consumption meter - the needle keeps disappearing off the RHS of the dial for no apparent reason!

Regards

John
Re: 3 series reign of terror - Rob Govier
are they still " tail happy"?

(the only car I have spun in 500,000 miles of company driving)

rg
Re: 3 series reign of terror - Rob Govier
drove a 535M-series around 1982. Pre-traction control era.

Seriously barking mad machine which deserved to end up in ditches (which it did on a regular basis (but not with me..)) through its shameless brutality.

Trying to "pop" into a gap on the roundabout at the M4 Heathrow spur, I thought I'd burnt the clutch. Nope, just pure wheelspin, a la Santa Pod.

(BTW Richard, steady on with that bangernomics talk, you may offend someone.....)

rg
BMWs are delicate though. Changing the antifeeze is really important.

Pat, Yes, mine is not the latest. But fun it remains. I don't think you can beat a big 6 on full song. Sorry Growler. V8s are second best. I bought and quickly sold a 540 recently. I thought it would be all the press say, but it was a bit of a tank. Quick yes, but just felt heavy. No fun.

Having said all that, I just re activated my Nissan Maxima, K reg. Been parked up since last April. Re connected the battery and it just started 1st go. much softer than the beemer, but great all the same. Had a jag in between. Bought for £750. Cost £950 in repairs. Sold it for £500. All good, but 12 MPG with the aircon on in traffic is just too much. Such is life!
Re: 3 series reign of terror - THe Growler
Nothing wrong with a big 6, did I say that? But of course for the cognoscenti......
Re: 3 series reign of terror - Julian Lindley
Pat,

The BMW 3 series is an excellent car with consistent praise from most folk. They do, however. as with all cars have there shortcomings, so please do not register on the praise in isolation.

The problem with cars, and the sophisticated media stance that sell them, is that they often encourage a partisan, preconcieved view, often at odds with reality.

The BMW 3 series marginally has the edge on my C 200 K as regards roadholding, but the C is a pleasure to own nonetheless. I am not looking forward to future electrical/mechanical failure bills, but I know for certain, as for any car, they will arrive, hopefully not so quickly as some.

I like the product from both of these marques, I just wish the same overall quality and range came from a wholly owned British car manufacturer.

Regards,

Julian L
Re: 3 series reign of terror - ian (cape town)
Didn't Rover own BMW once?
:>)
Re: 3 series reign of terror - Brill
"Nothing wrong with a big 6, did I say that? But of course for the cognoscenti......"

Have owned:
4 cyl.
Straight 6
V6
V8
V12

V12 wins for smoothness, V8 for engine note!

Stu.
Re: 3 series reign of terror - ROBIN
The threes are jolly good until you need a touring,when the rear space is really very limited indeed.
The fives have more space,but the packaging is pathetic in terms of internal space to external overall size.
And the bloody boots still are not deep enough!
And theyre all unbuyable secondhand.Whatever the spec or condition or mileage,everyone thinks their car is worth Glasses retail or more,and they aint,really they aint,since Glasses values are unrealistic to start with.
I wasted some time last year,looking for a 5 series touring,current shape,any engine but the 2 litre,in a sensible colour,and with aircon as a must.leather and Auto nice,and worth a bit more.It needed to be 15k,and with sensible ,but not low,mileage.
Found loads of rocking horse droppings,but no contenders.