What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
95 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec timing - Mondeoowner
This petrol Mondeo has an automatic gearbox. Due to persistent pinking not cured by various attempts by DIY, main dealer and independent (fuel filter, vacuum leak checks, new air mass meter, new EGR valve, new ECU! etc) the next step is going to be to check the timing. However Ford have said that they no longer sell tools and the manufacturers approached so far do not supply one for locking the crankshaft in position on the Zetec engine. Does anybody know where this tool can be sourced?
Regards

95 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec timing - John S
If you're talking ignition timing, surely you need a stroboscope to check it dynamically, and not something to lock the engine?

With modern ignition systems you can't check the timing as you could with a 'coil and points' system by rotating it slowly. Even if you check it, is the timing not set by the ECU in response to inputs from a crankshaft position sensor and other sensors on the engine, and therefore effectively non-adjustable?

Going back to the days when engines coked up (pre-unleaded) excessive deposits were the usual cause of pinking when engines were otherwise set up correctly.

JS

95 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec timing - jc
There should be a wire in the loom somewhere that can be earthed to retard the whole ignition map.I don't know which one it is but someone on here should know.Otherwise as John S says,it's not adjustable.
95 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec timing - Adam Young
I had this problem when I used to have one myself, and my suggestion is, even though it will probably be expensive, but to take it to your nearest rolling road tuner, as with this source, they can monitor the engines progression under load and check fully with there computer system what the cause of the pinking is, mine was due to a intermitant fault with the crankshaft sensor, so that could be a posibility, but yea find your nearest rolling road tuner cause I think its the best way to pick faults than the car being stationary.
95 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec timing - Mondeoowner
Thanks for the advice which makes sense.

I apologise to the other users for not previously having been sufficiently clear. It is understood that if one of the camshafts is a tooth out of position on the belt that may also be a cause of the problem, hence the desire to check the position of the camshafts with respect to the crankshaft and pistons.

But the crankshaft position sensor is also a suspect.

Regards
95 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec timing - percy
You can check the camshafts are synchronised with each other by removing the cam cover and trying to engage a 5mm thick (I believe) piece of metal in the slots at the battery end of the camshafts. When the cams line up with the metal in place the no. 1 piston should be at TDC. (Haynes do mention various marks on the pulley).
At least from memory that is how Haynes describe it. I think if one cam is a tooth out, they will never line up. The cam wheel timing is adjustable, but don't use the checking piece of metal to hold the shafts while you undo the end bolts.
I have never done this myself, but would be interested in your findings!
My 96 1.8 manual has always been noisy under load, but seldom pinks.
95 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec timing - percy
I've remembered that the ignition advance/retard link (mentioned by jc above) is positioned near to the power steering reservoir just hanging out of the loom running across the bulkead. With the (shorting) link in the timing is set for higher octanes (UK) so without it the timing is retarded for lower octanes.
The link in my Mondeo was not fitted, so I have bridged the contacts with a wire link but can not really detect any change in performance, pinking etc.