Golf with too much oil - Polly
Hi

I'm giving up my job with company car for for more exciting job instead, and looked at a G reg Golf 1.3 today. It seemed ok, but I am very suspicious of the oil level, which was way over the max level by about the difference between max and min again. Does anybody have any idea why this could be?
Re: Golf with too much oil - David W
I am very suspicious as well.

David
Re: Golf with too much oil - Tom Shaw
Lazy servicing by the look of it, Polly. Too much oil can cause oil seals to fail because of the increase in pressure. I would take the view that in this case the owner or the person who services the car for him is either incompetent or couldn't really care less and walk away.

Used cars are ten - a - penny, and if something about anything you look at does not seem right, it's not worth risking your hard earned cash.
Re: Golf with too much oil - Moosh
'G' reg, so its 12 years old !
Forget about the oil level what price is it?
Re: Golf with too much oil - David Withers
Reminds me of someone I once knew who had got her first car (an Austin A40 Farina - for those old enough to remember that model). She asked for my help as the car wouldn't start and oil was coming out of the engine.

It turned out that she had tried to service the car herself and had filled the radiator with water right to the brim of the filler and then had done likewise with oil in the engine!
Re: Golf with too much oil - Phil
There are plenty of old Golfs about in good condition so if you have any doubts about this one, walk away.
Re: Golf with too much oil - Andrew Barnes
Polly wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I'm giving up my job with company car for for more exciting
> job instead, and looked at a G reg Golf 1.3 today. It seemed
> ok, but I am very suspicious of the oil level, which was way
> over the max level by about the difference between max and
> min again. Does anybody have any idea why this could be?

Overfilling with oil can quieten the tappets - leave alone!

Andrew
www.hispecgolfs.co.uk
Re: Golf with too much oil - Julian Lindley
Polly,

It is probably a good idea to get someone knowledgeable to provide a second check on this steed. Be sure to complete the check with a 30 minute drive at a constant high speed and also at urban speeds. If you sit in the passenger seat rather than drive you can often extract more useful info from the experience.

Regards,

Julian L