What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CR-V VTEC oil - smoke
Is Mobil 1 0W40 suitable for a VTEC honda engine (2002 CR-V). Many thanks
Sid
Honda CR-V VTEC oil - Deskpilot
I don't know whether the oil you quoted is SAE 40 but if it is, I should think it to be much too thick.

My CRV's (1997and 2002) were always re-filled on servicing by my dealer with Castrol Magnatec, which I think is SAE10/30.

It's very expensive oil though - when I bought a top up litre container some 18 months ago it was about £8, as I recall.
Its SAE 0W40.
Cheers

After replying to your post I went into the Castrol site out of interest and found that they quote their recommended oil for all vehicles. (Engine, gearbox and elsewhere.) You just take your pick!

That quoted for a CRV 2002 (in fact for all CRV's from 1997) is as shown below. Frankly, I've never heard of "Edge Sport" oil - it seems you can learn something every day!

Site Quote

"Castrol's best oil for your vehicle: EDGE SPORT 0W-40 3.8
Alternative recommendation GTX MAGNATEC FOR MODERN ENGINES 10W-40"
Interesting site, many thanks.
BTW, 8 pounds for 1l is very steep. Chevron 10W40 semi synth can be bought from costco for about 15 pounds for 5l and the 5l Mobil 1 0W40 fully synth i got for 23 pounds. (My local Honda Dealer has allowed me to bring my own oil to use during service :-) which saves me 30 odd quid.) Asda also were only 15 pounds for 5l 5W30 semi synth (Texaco Havoline).
Sid
Talk about being a bore with idle fingers. I found this on another site for a company marketing oils. I promise not to look any further - honest!!!

PVL - ENGINE OILS
Grade Name SAE Viscosity Application
MOBIL 1 OW-40 Unsurpassed performance synthetic motor oil particularly recommended for high performance engines.
MOBIL 1 FUEL ECONOMY OW-30 Recommended for use in all types of modern cars and light commercial diesel including high performance engines.
MOBIL 1 MOTORSPORT 15W-50 Mobil 1 Motorsport is a 100% synthetic lubricant developed for the highest performing engines. Recommended for owners of modified and high performance cars.
MOBIL SUPER 10W-40 Premium multigrade designed for modern petrol and diesel engines including those fitted with turbo-charged engines.
MOBIL SUPER FE SPECIAL 5W-30 High performance, shear stable, special stock petrol and light duty diesel engine lubricant.
MOBIL SUPER S 10W-40 Extra high-performance semi-synthetic motor oil designed for engines of all petrol and diesel cars, light trucks and vans.
MOBIL SUPER S 15W-50 Suitable for high performance engines, petrol and diesel cars, light trucks, vans and those fitted with turbochargers.
MOBIL SYNT S 5W-40 Synthetic extra high performance engine oil suited to petrol and diesel cars. Well suited to multi-valved, turbo-charged engines and direct injection systems.
MOBIL SYNT S SPECIAL 5W-40 Recommended for use under severe operating conditions in VW TDI engines using new electronic unit injectors.

;-)
Honda CR-V VTEC oil - quizman
Is Mobil 1 0W40 suitable for a VTEC honda engine (2002 CR-V). Many thanks
Sid

YES
Many thanks :)
Honda CR-V VTEC oil - storme
becareful

castrol magnatec isnt a fully sythetic oil

your VTEC is a highly strung engine that require fully synthetic oil

in the common british climate which rarely goes below -10c 0w or 5w or 10w oil is fine
the 30,40 or 50 figure is what happens to it when it gets warm

i personally use 10w 30 for my 14000 mile service .....(a bmw)

but as a car get older it may be wiser to use a slightly thicker oil when for when it is warm...and keep the winter protection....i wouldnt go higher than 10w.....
and i wouldnt use a semi synthetic(magnatec) if it has been used to a fully synthetic

--
www.storme.co.uk
Honda CR-V VTEC oil - nortones2
Honda don't insist on a fully synth oil. They only require API SL for the later iVTEC 2.0 ltr, which can be satisfied by a mineral oil. Semi-synth may be OK - it all depends! Personally I prefer a "better" oil, mainly because I do below average miles and some short runs - generally though >7 miles, rarely in urban areas. But I don't have any data on which to advise anyone else. Have you, Storme?
Honda CR-V VTEC oil - storme
no,,i dont have any proper advice to give.(search a honda forum)..only my personal opinion....

and all i can say is.... you cant change the oil toooo many times

if it dont need fully synthetic then castrol magnatec is an excellent choice...id change it every 6mths....irrelevant of mileage....just a personal opinion :)
--
www.storme.co.uk
Cheers for replys people. Honda forums dealing with the CR-V seem a little thin on the ground when i looked earlier this week. Apparantly the oil is already in the engine at the moment :-). But i don't have the car back, as it is having a timing chain, guide, followers, and water pump replaced under warranty (c.f. post in discussion).