What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hows "Optimax" going? - Bill Doodson
There were a lot of posts a couple of months ago about Optimax petrol from Shell. At the time I made my point fairly clear that I was going to wait to see how this super petrol was doing, based on previous experience of "Super Shell Petrol". For all those who started to use it and still do HOWS IT GOING?

Bill
Re: Hows "Optimax" going? - Honest John
No problems. Car pulls 110 where previously would not have managed 100. But no significant improvement in economy, probably because I've been using the improved performance.

HJ
Re: Hows "Optimax" going? - richard turpin
HJ, I was going to post a tongue in cheek thing about how doing 100 or 110 was a bad example to the youth of today etc, but then I realised.
Of course.
You are talking about KPH not MPH.
How stupid of me.
Richard.
Re: Hows "Optimax" going? - Andy Bairsto
Heard on the grapevine they are going to quietly drop it as it is a complete sales flop throughout europe with most stations removing it.
Re: Hows "Optimax" going? - Neil
I've used it a few times for journeys to Sunderland from Portsmouth (and back) over the weekends. A tankfull each way.

It always seemed as though I needed to top up more often than when using BP or Supermarket petrol. The Ka certainly wasn't thrashed: at around 40mpg there would be a danger of having to refuel if I drove too fast.

I stopped using Shell.
Re: Hows "Optimax" going? - John S
I've not used much Shell fuel lately, so I don't know how much this is, but I must say that on many occasions I've looked at the Super Unleaded when I've filled up, but have been put off by the up to 10p/litre price differential.

On that basis I'd need about 14% more miles/gall to make it economic, and although the instruction book says my car can produce more performance on 98 octane, I have my doubts it's cost effective. I suspect many feel the same.

I've used it in France in a 2.0l Vectra, when the difference in price was a couple of centimes, but frankly couldn't notice any difference.

Regards

John
Re: Hows "Optimax" going? - Honest John
To Richard: Sorry, I meant "pulls 176 where previously would not have managed 160". But, of course, I'm not saying where.

HJ
Re: Hows "Optimax" going? - El Dingo (Martin)
I tried OPTIMAX in two cars:

- Audi 80 16V - I didn't check the fule consumption, but OPTIMAX made a significant improvement to the performance and flexibility of the engine. This was most noticeable for the loss of flexibility after we filled up with standard unleaded again! We are not near a Shell garage, otherwise I'd always use this fuel in this car. I won't consider trying super unleaded, as our local BP and Texaco outlets charge more than 80p per litre.
- Audi A4 2.6 - no noticeable performance change. No improvement in fuel consumption (still 29 - 30mpg). Will stay with standard (premium) unleaded.

Martin.
Re: Hows "Optimax" going? - Bill Doodson
Thanks guys

I'll stick with my local Texaco or get it at work when my expenses let me.

Bill
Re: Hows "Optimax" going? - RogerL
Super unleaded or Optimax is not cost effective if that is the only reason for buying it. Super unleaded should give about 3% better fuel consumption with Optimax giving 5%, if the octane claims are true. This makes them worth about 2.1 p/litre and 2.5 p/litre more than supermarket unleaded. Since the power increase is only relevant at full throttle (get more power at part throttle by putting foot down a bit more), both super unleaded and Optimax are just an expensive way of getting a feel good factor.