HJ's C Max Long term Test - dodo
Well done, accurate and right to the point. I love my C-Max 2.0 TDCi Ghia and rank it as one of the best cars I have ever owned. Maybe I'm getting older (heading for 50) but there's nothing out there I want to change it for.
HJ's C Max Long term Test - Phil J
Well, I've got a 1.6 TDCi Ghia, which has done over 16K since February. Had a couple of early electrical problems, but easily sorted. Comfortable, lots of space and currently an average of 47 MPG! Was a bit worried about the smaller engine, but it cruises easily at motorway speeds, and have driven 500 miles in a day with no problems
HJ's C Max Long term Test - MichaelR
I was under the impression Ford removed the CVT from the options list becuase of a number of problems with them and trouble sourcing replacements? I could be wrong, though.
HJ's C Max Long term Test - Happy Blue!
I have been waiting for HJs report about the C-Max for a while and it makes good reading. I have a soft spot for cars which go about their job in an unassuming way, but punch well above their weight in driving dynamics and ride comfort.

I'm not sure I agree with HJ about the poor fuel consumption. The car has only done just over 5,000miles and is obviously driven in a fairly lively manner which would negate the main advantage of diesels anyway. I would expect the average for the next 5,000 miles to rise above 44mpg which I think would be acceptable for a car which clearly offers much more resistance to the wind than lower longer cars.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
HJ's C Max Long term Test - annie1
hi ive got a cmax 2.0l diesel. runs really well. earlier last year i came on this site saying that this car was rubbish i had three months of problems engine managemant system went down and it took a entire ford garage and two teams from dagenham to get it fixed. now it runs really well. im a disabled passenger and its the correct height for me.handles really well.although the bleeps i get really annoy me. but ive now develpoed a problem the boot keeps opening on its own.so its back to the garage next week. weve now done 16000 miles in it and it will keep going.will i get one again? yes i would.its a great car has it glitches but then dont all cars?
HJ's C Max Long term Test - tyro
dodo,
How about telling us why you prefer driving the C-Max to your old BMW 330D tourer?
HJ's C Max Long term Test - Cribbage Crisis
Yes I love my C-Max 2.0 TDCi Zetec too. It's really comfortable to drive and I'm always relaxed after a long run. I bought it after running a Fiesta which was too small for dragging daughters stuff backwards and forwards from University every few months. I'm also a big guy and feel as though I have loads of room.

On the negative side there are a few electrical problems, the Engine Management System went wrong necessitating a tow in to a Dealer, fixed quite quickly after I demanded the Sales or Service Manager hand over their car so I could get back home (I was working away at the time). The RAC man said that it was "common". Very worrying.

Last week I was on the M6 at the M42 junction and I got a "System Fault", "Reduced Acceleration Mode" message, limped on to my destination, switched off, crossed fingers and restarted. Everything fired up okay, rang the dealer and they couldn't offer any support because the messages were gone!

The problem is one of reduced confidence.

I also keep getting a low fuel warning, usually about 3 days after I've filled up and the car is sitting on a level surface. Just a bit annoying that one
The C-Max has no pretense or show and for some reason people let you out at junctions - something that would never happen in the BMW. The performance of the C-Max is more 'user friendly' - I can row along at 70-90 mph far more easily in the C Max than the 330D (which was the 200+ bhp 6 speed version) very like a French car of old. I like the way it can pull out and pass something in 4th 5th with no effort and the height helps see over other cars which makes it very safe. Simple wee things like the heated front screen and the puddle lights in the front door mirrors are very classy- and useful.
I know the high centre of gravity does affect handling but generally its fine with no vices. I am a realist and the BMW (my 6th) was a super car. But it cost over £30,000 and thats a lot of money. The C-Max was bought cheaply and I would have no hesitation in buying another one. Try one (preferably a 2.0 TDci) and prepared to be surprised!
HJ's C Max Long term Test - tyro
Thanks for that.
I'd really like to try one - but a bit outside my price range at the moment.
for some reason
people let you out at junctions - something that would never
happen in the BMW.

Hmmm. I hadn't that when rating the "driving experience" of a car, one should include the treatment one gets from other road users, but it's a good point :-)
Well some time when you have a bit of time to spare call into your friendly Ford dealer be 'interested' in a year old 2.0TDci with about 12000 miles on the clock and ask for a test run. Thats how I ended up with one!
HJ's C Max Long term Test - Blue {P}
We always used to travel to Loughborough for Ford training in a Cmax Ghia, and I always made use of the sliding rear seat thingy, it made it wasier to watch the DVD screen that we had mounted on the roof, and gave a bit extra room to kick my legs about in.

I never did understand why other's didn't choose to sit in the back, I generally found it far more relaxing than sitting in the front. There's nothing better than been spread out across the huge back seats with a film on and a big bag of sweets on a long journey. :-)

Blue
HJ's C Max Long term Test - Xileno {P}
What is the best petrol engine for the Cmax?
HJ's C Max Long term Test - AlanGowdy
The 1.6 is underpowered. My wife's 1.8 is quite nippy but the car is undergeared (3000 rpm in top gives you only around 65 mph). I'd imagine the 2.0 would be the ideal petrol engine, but my choice would be to go diesel.