What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan Almera - PhilDS
I'm looking at getting an Almera for my girlfiend. I'm willing to spend around £4,500 and have found plenty of low mileage 2003 1.5 S versions with less than 40k miles.
I know it's not exciting but reading through various reviews it's solidly reliable and has a generous boot - it will need to take a pram and a decent amount of shopping.
HJ has very little negative to say about it which says a lot to me.
Anyone owned one? All feedback appreciated.
Nissan Almera - Xileno {P}
Not owned but driven quite a few as works cars. As you have mentioned, their strengths are reliability and general ease of ownership. Owning a car doesn't come any easier.

But for me it is totally lacking in any kind of fun, anything that makes you look forward to driving it.

It depends on your priorities.
Nissan Almera - mare
Got an R reg one, so not the same as what you're looking. Been with us since 1999.

FWIW, good to drive, cheap to insure, 40mpg and big enough boot. Battery is the only non service item replaced, apart from a light cluster (my fault). Odd rust spot now and the struts on the rear hatch have gone. Not the end of the world. Good cheap transport.

Nissan dealers are pricey for servicing, and bits are expensive. My last service was at local Ford dealer.
Nissan Almera - Woody
My brother has had an X reg from new, a 1.5S and it has been faultless over 50K miles, giving 40 mpg.

Obviously no rocket ship or head turner, but looks nice enough in a bright metallic blue and has warn well with 2 kids and the daily grind.

A very sound buy if not looking for a fashion statement.

Woody
Nissan Almera - Cardew
Good solid and underrated car.

Bear in mind that the 1.5S version was one of the last cars to get ABS as standard. I am not sure when the S got ABS as a standard fitting but I think it was about 2003 - so check before you buy.
Nissan Almera - jase1
Having driven the Almera I can't see why people say it's more boring to drive than most others. The chassis is good, the body lean is about par for the course and the steering has plenty of feel.

No worse than yer Astra or V4 Golf certainly. Indeed the gearchange is better than either of those two.
Nissan Almera - Screwloose
Phil

Sorry to be the dissenting voice in this paeon of praise; but don't touch one of these things with a bargepole.

They are anything but reliable and suffer from near-epidemic levels of timing-chain failure. With some dealers now charging £1400 to replace the chain [at stupidly low mileages] and Nissan's dismissive attitude to genuine complaints, this is absolutely the last car to buy.

The trade knows all about the reliability issues on these - that's why they're going so cheap.

[If you don't believe me; try Googling "Almera Timing chain."]
Nissan Almera - Aprilia
The OP is looking at a 2003 car, so won't be affected by timing chain stretch problems (which was a metallurgy problem on 2000/2001 cars IIRC). I believe it only affected some 1.5 litre engines. Clue is the MIL light coming on with 'cam sensor' error code - new sensor doesn't cure the problem.
If you can, then go for the 1.8, not much difference in economy but useful extra power.
Aprilia

I think that Nissan would like people to believe that it was just a limited "metallurgical" problem. [Didn't stop them washing their hands of it! Remember the sensor "recall" whitewash?]

Feedback comments, directly from the workshop floor, would suggest differently.....
Nissan Almera - jase1
This has come up before.

I've Googled the info in a number of differennt ways, read hundreds of user reviews on this car and looked at the reliability surveys which emphatically do not put the car in the bargepole category.

So, if anyone could point me towards an independent, detailed report on this problem I'd be very grateful as I have looked seriously at this car a number of times, having owned a 1.6 Sunny for some years with zero problems.

Screwloose is presenting this fault as something even more widespread than the K-series HG problem, so where is the evidence?
Nissan Almera - jase1
Reliability index ... car scored 3.18, the lowest in entire survey

What Car and every other mag scores reliability very highly

Parkers gives it 4.5/5 for reliability

Nothing mentioned on What Car user reviews about the problem.

Or Carsurvey.org

Or PeachOrLemon.co.uk

Or Honest John

Or Parkers

Google shows up nothing.

Two local mechanics say the engines are the best in the business, only Honda bettering them.

Screwloose clearly knows something others don't.

Screwloose kindly throw me a bone here.
Nissan Almera - jase1
This is annoying me now, I can't find a damn thing on this alleged epidemic of Nissan engine failures.

Either there is a conspiracy of silence at the major reviewing outlets, or Screwloose is wrong.

I don't believe in conspiracy theories, and if SL is the same SL over at Parkers then the SL is wrong hypothesis can't be the case.
jase1

Thanks for the kind words. I've been at this game too many decades to ever claim infallibilty where cars are concerned! However it can't be just me and my local dealer who sees all these failures; [tiny rural dealer's direct quote "done dozens."]

I [try] and answer questions on half-a-dozen various car problems forums and this comes up at least once a week; see just one:- [not even one of mine.]

www.ilexa.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6610.0.html

And yes; I have done an '03 plate one - two days after it came out of a household-name dealership with a £300 bill for two sensors and a comment of "we've no idea what it could be."
Nissan Almera - Aprilia

jase1
Thanks for the kind words. I've been at this game
too many decades to ever claim infallibilty where cars are concerned!
However it can't be just me and my local dealer
who sees all these failures; [tiny rural dealer's direct quote "done
dozens."]
I [try] and answer questions on half-a-dozen various car problems forums
and this comes up at least once a week; see just
one:- [not even one of mine.]
And yes; I have done an '03 plate one - two
days after it came out of a household-name dealership with a
£300 bill for two sensors and a comment of "we've no
idea what it could be."

I don't think anyone is denying that there has been a problem with some of these 1.5 litre engines. If I was buying one then I would certainly check for timing chain problems and possibly look at the tensioner protrusion. I haven't heard of any post-2002 cars with this problem.

I really don't think the sensor recall was a 'whitewash' - there were problems with sensors on several engine variants. If the cam chain has stretched then replacing the sensor doesn't 'cover up' the problem, the MIL light will still come on so no-one would be fooled.

BTW - the 2003 car you mention would have been under Nissan warranty so sensors and/or cam chain should have been fixed for free by the dealer.

Having siad all the above, I would try to find a 1.8 model - better engine, better performance, similar economy to 1.5.....
Aprilia

Just to clarify; the '03-plate one had been having the usual symptoms for a while and had been, IMHO, "fobbed-off" until it's 63,000 mileage took it out of warranty.

On reflection, maybe "smokescreen" would have been a better term than "whitewash." I still don't agree with changing pairs of sensors on recalls to simply delay the inevitable day when the root cause of the fault has to be addressed.

By that time, it must [or should] have been apparent that it was variances in sensor synchronicity, not failed sensors, that was causing the sensor codes.
Nissan Almera - jase1
jase1
Thanks for the kind words. I've been at this game
too many decades to ever claim infallibilty where cars are concerned!
However it can't be just me and my local dealer
who sees all these failures; [tiny rural dealer's direct quote "done
dozens."]
I [try] and answer questions on half-a-dozen various car problems forums
and this comes up at least once a week; see just
one:- [not even one of mine.]
And yes; I have done an '03 plate one - two
days after it came out of a household-name dealership with a
£300 bill for two sensors and a comment of "we've no
idea what it could be."

Lordy.

The more I read about horror stories on new cars -- even from bulletproof makes like Nissan -- the more I think I should just stick with the humble 1.3 Hyundai I have now which has given no trouble so far.

I was put off the Primera due to potential reliability problems. The Almera looked interesting because I could get a 1-year-old example from Motorpoint for around £3000 plus the Hyundai (probably getting most of this £3000 back after 3 years in a private sale as well).

Are there any reliable cars any more?
Nissan Almera - v0n
I wouldn't worry much about timing chain scaremongering, it's sorted, done and dusted ages ago.

Driven plenty of Almeras and currently own my third N16 Almera and the only problems they suffer from, as far as I can see, are minor "sunday shift in factory" issues - such as headlamps loosing focus and reflection because plastic injection points are not cleaned up properly after moulding and once heated by halogen bulb they basically melt changing shape of a mirror surface they're attached to. Or snapped bits securing centre console shelf or radio surround to the dashboard that rattle slightly at idle. Little things every car assembled in British factories usually suffers from.
Mechanically they are built like tanks - inside and outside - one look at the rear suspension and it's clear it was designed to go on any pothole ridden country path between Uzbekhistan to Spain. Bulletproof engines, and, speaking from experience after two accidents - believe me, unbelievably sturdy body around them too.

Besides that Almera also suffers from terrible dealership chains. Poverty sales and low internet prices make them do stupid things, so you have to keep your eyes open. I had my car returned after service with nets missing in the boot, rubber bootliner "accidentaly" removed (what were they looking for in the boot I'll never know). I was charged for full service and yet oil filter still had clearly months old rust around it. Stuff like that. And of course, all that now is at Renault service prices - you pay top bananas, you get monkeys. ;)

Almeras don't have to be slow or . I have 136bhp diesel version and it does 0-60 in respectable 8.9 seconds with massive torque delievered to traction control secured front wheels. Standard equipment includes climate control, colour screen, sat nav and full Sport Appearance Pack. That's faster and better specced than VW Golf GT TDI and at almost exactly half price of one too. And it's the kind of car thiefs don't steal and joyriders don't burn.

Choosing one make sure none of the plastic trims or stereo surroundings are loose, headlamp beam is sharp and straight, carpet in the boot is not soggy (they have carton underneath, if it gets wet it gets soft like a rag), rear clusters are not misty (again, quality control issue - some of the holes in clusters are clogged by plastic and they get misty after rain) and that the both speedo dials and tacho/clock LCD is lit evenly with headlamps on. It's one hell of a job to get those tiny bulbs replaced and if one is not inserted properly at factory.

Nissan Almera - y2k+4
Dad's company (he's self-employed lol) runs a 55-Nissan Almera 1.5 S 5dr, on hire for £30/week (10,000 mile/year deal).

It's certainly well-built, adequately spacious (not as big inside as my Focus), and fairly refined. It's not quick, and it's certainly not exciting, but if this doesn't matter then it's a fine value car. The SE-spec and higher are notably better equipped, however...
Nissan Almera - Roly93
The motor industry is historically littered with cars that were underated due to image/fashion reasons, eg VX Omega, Nissan Bluebird, Last Ford Granada etc, and as such are a bargain if you are not a badge snob. I definately think the Almera is one of these cars, as when it came out the advertising 'tag-line' was "the car they dont want you to drive", and as such people didnt !
So go on get yourself a bargain !
Nissan Almera - Sprice
If its not essential to have an Almera now, why not wait until March 1st when '06' plate comes out with resultant knock-on effects of values of older cars!
Nissan Almera - pyruse
We have a 54 plate 1.8 SE Auto.
Excellent car - nice to drive, and with loads of power when you kick down the accelerator. Well built and very reliable, like most Nissans, though parts are expensive when you need them.
I'd definitely go for the 1.8; fuel economy seems to be about 10% worse than the 1.5, but you get a lot more than 10% extra power.

The only irritating feature is the lack of a light on the glove compartment; what were they thinking?

Nissan Almera - Cardew
If its not essential to have an Almera now, why not
wait until March 1st when '06' plate comes out with resultant
knock-on effects of values of older cars!

As the new Amera is inflicted with many major Renault components I suspect the knock-on effect will be to enhance the value of the outgoing model!
Nissan Almera - bathtub tom
Frightening, I've just bought a 1.5 Flare because I thought they seemed a remarkably cheap car. I've just done a search on Auto Trader, and decided I paid too much!
Nissan Almera - fray bentos
I bought a 1.4 demo Almera in 1999 for £7000 after a £5000 discount, before discounts were 'popular'. It has a/c abs etc and has NEVER gone wrong and I pay my main dealer £85 a year for a service.Theres your answer!
Nissan Almera - JohnX
Busy at work hence didnt see this message.
All the scaremongering about the timing chain issues are just that,ignore them.
Approx 2 years back , bought a V reg Almera and for the last 2 years drove 31 k miles with only regular oil changes and nothing else.
I doubt you would get a more reliable car than the Almera,and it drives reasonably well and is rock steady and extremely stable around corners unlike the Focuses and Golfs.
Bought a VW Passat a month back and have been to the garage in the last month than in the 2 years of having the Almera.
Nissan Almera - PhilDS
Have now been down to my local main dealer where my girfriend test drove a Nov 52 plate new shape 1.5 S with 30k on the clock. It's an ex motability car and is up for £4995 including a year's warranty.
Haven't signed on the line yet so the price may come down (I showed the dealer the price that Trade Sales can do a 53 plate!).
Girlfriend is impressed that it's black, has CD and AC and can fit the pram and some shopping in the boot. I'm happy that she's happy and that although not the best deal in the world it's not the worst.
The idea is to run the car for at least 5 years. If there's no issue with the timing chain then I reckon long term I have a bargain.
Many thanks for all your feedback on this subject. I never realised how much such a dull car could generate such passionate responses!
Nissan Almera - Cardew
Have now been down to my local main dealer where my
girfriend test drove a Nov 52 plate new shape 1.5 S
with 30k on the clock. It's an ex motability car and
is up for £4995 including a year's warranty.
Haven't signed on the line yet so the price may come
down (I showed the dealer the price that Trade Sales can
do a 53 plate!).
Girlfriend is impressed that it's black, has CD and AC and
can fit the pram and some shopping in the boot. I'm
happy that she's happy and that although not the best deal
in the world it's not the worst.

£4995 for a 52 plate is plain expensive.

Motorpoint(see to the right) have 54 plate with 14K metalic etc for £4699.
Nissan Almera - PhilDS
Motorpoint(see to the right) have 54 plate with 14K metalic etc for £4699.

Motorpoint have 3 dr Almera's for £4,699. I need a 5dr and they are £6,599.
Nissan Almera - Aprilia
I would say that £5k for this Almera is about £1k too much - even from a dealer. If you really like the car could you stick with them, but try to knock it down by 10%? I imagine that their sales are fairly slow at this time of year, and black would not be a popular colour for the Almera, so they may be more than normally keen to get a sale.
Nissan Almera - PhilDS
Price is the one area that hasn't been settled yet. Will be looking for 10% which will put in on a par (when you take into account the warranty) with what's out there in the market at the moment.