What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Effects of tar on paintwork - Rob S
At the height of the storms up here yesterday there was a utilities contactor trying to carry out some resurfacing/patching on one of the roads into Carlisle, and as SWMBO went past to work the car was literally covered in spots. We are now the owners of a Dalmation Sharan, there is not a panel that has been missed. I have duly logged a complaint with the relevant authority and have been given an estimate of £40 by a professional valeting firm to clean the car up. My big concern is whether the paintwork will be affected in the longer term, will I end up with permanent marks? The colour is light metallic blue.

Any help gratefully received.

Rob S
Re: Effects of tar on paintwork - mike harvey
Rob,
In a word, no. The tar will come of with a solvent 'tar and glue remover', without scouring. Don't worry.
Regards
Mike
Re: Effects of tar on paintwork - Rob S
Mike,

Thanks for the advice, sounds like a few hours with white spirit is in order!
As for the mentality of the contractors, I can't think of a printable suggestion....

Rob
Re: Effects of tar on paintwork - Charles
Rob S

Once you've cleaned off the tar it's best to then to wax the car.

Charles
Re: Effects of tar on paintwork - Alwyn
Years ago, the advice to remove tar was to rub it with linseed oil, or even butter. Try a hidden spot first.