What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
M1 J19 Stupid Lane Markings - Simon Butterworth
Can anyone explain the logic of the changes to the s/b M1 at Junction 19. The relatively small amount of traffic going to the A14 or n/b M6 now gets an exclusive lane for the last half mile to the junction, while the 95% going on south is forced into two then three narrow ones before the s/b M6 itself filters in.

A dangerous bottleneck this evening c19:00.

Could understand a need for something in the opposite direction where I have seen countless near misses when folks realise at the last minute they want the Manchester/Preston and not the Leeds/Sheffield version of north but why southbound.

Does anyone know which bit of the Highways Agency I raise these concerns with?
Re: M1 J19 Stupid Lane Markings - Dai Woo
Isn't there a junction on the M5 (?) wher you join the motorway in the outside lane. I seem to remember reading it in the telegraph a few years ago.

Can anyone help?

DW
fast lane junction... - ian (cape town)
There's one near me - a 180 degree on ramp, into the fast lane of the N1 (speed limit of 120km/h). The filtering-in lane is all of 100 yards long.
Re: M1 J19 Stupid Lane Markings - Rebecca
Think there's one on the M42 (not a million miles from the M5!) Takes you by surprise but I think the lane starts where the slip road comes down, so you don't actually have to fit into the line of traffic.

Either that or it's always been quiet when I've been there.

Now I've typed this, I'm wondering if it was the M40 (completed later more likely to have new-fangled ideas)

Damn! That's got me wondering now. Anyone help?
A167(M) Newcastle - Lee H
In central Newcastle, there's a junction on the A167(M) where joining the southbound carriageway from the Haymarket, you merge into the outside lane, on a practically blind corner.

It's marginally better at night, when you can see the headlights of approaching cars, but is just badly designed. One to avoid!

Lee.
Road Designer Admits "I Don't drive" Sho - Rob Govier
Yep, the whole of "The Central Motorway" (!!!!) of NCL designed by a non-driver, I think.

Ditto that daft go-kart track around the centre of Coventry.
Re: Road Designer Admits "I Don't drive" - ladas are slow
what i hate is the large roundabout overlooking the warner brothers cinema in newcastle, that is murder to get out on in rush hour.
Re: Road Designer Admits "I Don't drive" - Lee H
Which way are you coming onto it? It's possible to cut through Sandyford or Jesmond Dene and come out elsewhere and avoid the hassle

If you're heading south, then you're knackered unless you take the Swing Bridge!

Lee.
Re: Road Designer Admits "I Don't drive" - ladas are slow
i am going south to get to gatehead college, i sometimes try to go over the swing bridge, but it gets very busy at rush hour ( the course starts at 6.00pm)
Through the Toon - Lee H
This might be a tad dull for anyone not commuting through Newcastle :-)

Chris,

you could try going along the Quayside (not over the swing bridge), past the Copthorne and then over the Redheugh.

On the other side, take the exit towards Bensham bank (before the Shell Garage) and then along Rectory/Coatsworth road and up past Saltwell park to the college.

If nothing else it would make a nice change and new people to sit in traffic with.

Rgds,
Lee.
Re: Through the Toon - ladas are slow
many thanks lee :-)
Re: M1 J19 Stupid Lane Markings - Richard Hall
I would guess that it's to stop people from running into the back of stationary traffic tailing back from the roundabout at the end of the slip road. This is a badly designed junction whichever way you approach it - coming off the M6 there are two lanes, one to turn left onto the M1, the other straight on for the A14 (which is a single lane under the M1 bridge). But there are no signs to warn of this, just road markings very close to the roundabout that you can't see very well. So if you come onto the roundabout in the right hand lane (to go straight on) there's a good chance that you end up being forced to brake sharply by a 38 ton artic in the left hand lane, going straight on instead of left. I now always assume that the vehicle to the left of me is in the wrong lane and will cut across in front of me, and about 50% of the time I am right.
Re: M1 J19 Stupid Lane Markings - Ronnie Courtney
Just had a look at a large scale map, and suspect that Richard Hall, who obviously uses this section of road regularly, is not just right but a lot safer too, as he comes off M6. Pity about the markings at the roundabout though, if someone was clever enough to devise the "preceding" safety lane.

Don't recognise Dai Woo's (Welsh Chinese?) reference to joining M5 in the outside lane, but do seem to remember that there is something similar in the urban section of M8 in central Glasgow, round about Junction 17/18 westbound. Perhaps "Gorbals Mick" could help if there are no other Glaswegians on net to verify!

Ronnie
Re: M1 J19 Stupid Lane Markings - Simon Butterworth
If there is a history of backing up here then the Richard/Ronnie explanation hangs together. Can't say I have seen it myself, but my travel is probablyoutside peak freight times and I have a recollection of news reports of a nasty accident a few months ago.
Still wonder if they have got the risk assessment right though, as the other thread re the M65 points out 3/2/3 lanes is risky, certainly causing consternation and bunching last night.

Thanks for all your comments.
M8 - roland
On the Eastbound and Westbound M8 through Glasgow (between the fruitmarket and Charing Cross), there are exits from and roads joining both the nearside and offside lanes. In 3 out of 4 of these junctions, the exit sliproad is the continuation of one of the motorway carriagways, leading to a certain degree of lane confusion. There are 8 junctions within the space of 2 miles (including the merging of 2 motorways) so exits on both sides of the carriageway are required to fit them all in. Despite the confusion, there was talk recently that this section of the M8 should be given "listed" status because it is a "fine example" of an urban motorway. The council were discouraging this move because it meant that they would have to apply to the listing body before repaining a manhole cover.
Listing things - Lee H
They do think of the most stupid things to preserve. Preston (Lancashire) bus station is one that springs to mind.

Perhaps a good example of architecture at the time, but a warning of how not to do it in the future.

Lee.
Re: Listing things - ian (cape town)
LeeH, maybe prince chaz was right - "a carbuncle on the face of an old friend" ...
Now, if we can just get his royalness to comment on modern car design ...
Re: Listing things - Lee H
If memory serves:

he drives an Aston (naturally) and bought, or perhaps was given a Focus for William.

You'd probably need to own Cornwall to be able to insure your 17 year old son in a new Ford!

Lee
Re: M1 J19 Stupid Lane Markings - Ronnie Courtney
Could even be the where M42 and M40 merge northbound at Junction 3A, but fairly strictly controlled by lanes?

Ronnie
Re: Right hand slip roads - Flat in Fifth
There is definitely a rh off slip on the motorway in Leeds, think there is also an on slip as well.
Re: M1 J19 Stupid Lane Markings - Brian
We have a similar problem on the A12 in Essex, where going north-east the Ingatestone bypass (the first bit to be dualled) is two lanes, with three lanes either side.
Going south-west the Brentwood bypass is two lanes with three lanes on one end and the M25 junction the other.
Consequently you get nose to tail or stationary traffic going London-bound in the morning down the Brenwood bypass and nose to tail stationary traffic in the evening going past Ingatestone.
And a few shunts if you are unlucky.
Re: Listing M8 - Ronnie Courtney
Roland

Many thanks for clarifying the oddities of the M8 so comprehensively - nice idea as an urban motorway, pity about the execution. Still, look on the bright side, if that section became listed, it couldn't be coned off at the drop of a hat!

Ronnie