What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
How can it be so difficult to find a car - Gazza
I?ve been trying to find a 51/02-reg Mondeo Ghia X for 2-3 weeks now. Both Joe at auctioncarbuyer and I have been looking around and could not find one that?s in good/original condition and at book price. Now, I want a top spec car, with electric, heated (leather) seats, cd changer, auto-dimming mirrors and a 2-litre engine. I am looking at both the Mondeo Ghia X and Primera SVE/T-spec.

Would any of the BRer have any other suggestion for a 3-4 year-old, top-spec cars, launched in this millennium and cost less than £5,000?

Many thanks, G
How can it be so difficult to find a car - trancer
Finally a post looking for car recommendations where cheddar cannot recommend a Mondeo 8-)
How can it be so difficult to find a car - Hamsafar
Maybe such company/lease-type cars are usually dumped in April at the start of a new financial year, so may be a seasonal thing.
People who have bought them second hand, will not be getting rid of them yet.
How can it be so difficult to find a car - DavidHM
CarGiant have one - admittedly a saloon in a weak bluey-green - for £5,799 and I guess that would have gone through the saleroom for a little over £5k (with 67k up and on a 51 plate). Don't know if that would be of interest.

For the same money, spec and mileage (roughly) you could get last millennium's 406 HDi, a Passat 2.0 SE with leather, a Rover 75 1.8 estate or a couple of Renault Lagunas.
That's your choice of a couple of Renault Lagunas rather than a brace of Lagunae...
Yes, I have looked at that Mondeo at CarGiant twice (once myself and once with my girlfriend along). For a 2001/51-reg car with 70k, it is booked at £4,300 so we both agreed £5,800 was way over the top in terms of price. If it was £4,600 I will buy it. It is in a very nice condition, though the colour is weak as you mentioned.

I have ruled out French cars and cars from the last millenium because of their possibly worse reliability, safety and durability (I will drive the car very hard a few times a year as I use my car for rally marshalling i.e. course opening or closing and the occasional road rallies, so I need a tough car which does not squeak or rattle after a few rough drives)

Is the face-lifted 2001 Passat much safer and tougher than the original launched in 1997?
How can it be so difficult to find a car - Altea Ego
Worse safety? U WOT!
----------------------------------------
TourVanMan < yes its RF reborn >
Worse safety? U WOT!

I worked on the assumption that newly launched car, with at least 4-star rating on the Mondeo (2001) and Primera (2002), will be better than a 3-star Passat launched in 1997.

Newly design and more stars in NCAP testing must surely be better than a older design with less NCAP stars.

Also, I will not buy French out of principals.
How can it be so difficult to find a car - Altea Ego
AH I read it as "rule out french cars due to safety" If I was going to drive a car into anything I would be in a french car.

wait

Oh yes - I did.
----------------------------------------
TourVanMan < yes its RF reborn >
Yes, I know the new Laguna is very safe. I just have the worry of squeaky dashboard and niggling fault on a 70k 2nd hand car and I am planning to put 20k-30k on every year.
How can it be so difficult to find a car - Roly93
Also, I will not buy French out of principals.

Is that the principle that they fall apart in 6 months !
How can it be so difficult to find a car - cheddar
Finally a post looking for car recommendations where cheddar cannot recommend a Mondeo 8-)

No, I could offer to sell him mine though eh!
>> Finally a post looking for car recommendations where cheddar cannot
recommend a Mondeo 8-)
>>
No, I could offer to sell him mine though eh!

Is yours a Ghia X?
Yup!
Yup!

How long did it take you to find yours? Do these Ghia X always command higher than book price?
May 2002 Ghia X TDCi 130 5 door, I have had it from new, for the first 21 months / 65k it was my company car, I bought it off the company as a part of a voluntary redundancy package since which I have done 35k in another 21 months, really drives as new, and looks as new from 10ft when clean.

I have done 100k in it and would have another tomorrow.
BTW, the reason for selling is that I doubt my QX will pass another MoT, next due in April. I discovered a rusting front cross-member where there was a 5mm hole it has rusted through. I reckon it will last for another year but I am going to scrap it once the next car arrives, hopefully in the next few weeks.
How can it be so difficult to find a car - bell boy
your not willing to pay enough, forget the book its a wanted car and as such you will have to pay more, if they do trickle to the auction,. but they normally get traded on before then..................................................................
..........in
the trade by the trade. .
www.bcs4cars.co.uk

Think you can make it out to Essex (Barking)? £4,499 on the Trader with 72k.

Otherwise I've got to agree with Oldman, that Mondeo in CarGiant is over book but not overpriced.
I saw that from the Trader too, around 2 weeks back. I enlarged the photos and saw some dis-colouring in the black plastics in the plastic trim on the bumper and also the interior plastics. The rear end looks like it has been resprayed too. I suppose I could go out to have a look at it closely since I live in London and it is only 30 minutes drive away. I just thought when I first saw it that the condition did not warrant my time to travel out to have a look.

I'm working 70-90 hours a week at the moment.
How can it be so difficult to find a car - MichaelR
I had the same problem nearly 2 years ago buying a Mk2 Ghia X. It took me several months to find the right car but was well worth it when I eventually did.

I had Joe searching as well, but he didn't find anything. I'll probably be using him again when its time for the new car.
I'll probably be using him again when its time for the
new car.

Thought you had bought a BMW?
How can it be so difficult to find a car - MichaelR
I should be so lucky! Not yet, won't be doing so until May or June. Any posts by me in the technical forum refer to the parents car which, due to the nature of Dads work, often falls to me to sort out services etc.
How can it be so difficult to find a car - Roly93
Surely one of the car supermarkets would have such a car, ie Motorpoint - Motorworld - Trade Sales etc.
There's nothing within my price range at car supermarket of under £5,000. I have looked around London and the home counties and CarGiant is the cheapest.
How can it be so difficult to find a car - tyro
Don't worry Gazza. I realise it can be very frustrating waiting, but, to borrow a figure of speech from the world of public transport - which will therefore probably baffle some Backroomers :-)- it's a bit like waiting for a bus.

You wait, and wait, and wait and conclude there isn't one coming, and then suddenly 3 arrive in quick succession. Hang in there!
Thanks tyro, I'll hang in there. I'm fine for the time being but I hope the QX will hang in there with me :-)
How can it be so difficult to find a car - JohnX
Why dont you try the auctions, lots of Mondeos,including brand new ones seen yesterday.
How can it be so difficult to find a car - CJay{P}
Why dont you try the auctions, lots of Mondeos,including brand new
ones seen yesterday.

>>

I beleive that is exactly what the Joe, the auction buyer, is doing on his behalf.
How can it be so difficult to find a car - CJay{P}
My grammar leaves a lot to be desired for.... can we have an edit button please?
How can it be so difficult to find a car - pd
On the subject of GTC/Car Giant or whatever they are called now - having just looked through their website is it just me or are they a lot more expensive than they used to be?

Once upon a time their cars were £300 or so above auction price and you accepted the inconvenience of no warranty, virtually no test drive and rubbish trade in for an auction+£300 price plus the option to thoroughly view the car.

Some of the cars there now are easily £1000-£2000 above what they'd have paid and you still have no warranty, no test drive, rubbish trade in etc.? A case of cornering the market and then raising margins?
How can it be so difficult to find a car - Dalglish
you still have no warranty

>>

now you have the law on your side:

www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/cars.htm
during the first six months:
the consumer returns the goods in the first six months from the date of sale and requests a repair or replacement or a partial refund. In that case, the consumer does not have to prove the goods were faulty at the time of sale. It is assumed that they were. If the retailer does not agree, it is for the retailer to prove that the goods were satisfactory at the time of sale.
after the first six months:
Under sale of goods legislation (Sale of Goods Act 1979) consumers are entitled to expect that any goods they buy are of satisfactory quality. That is, that the goods meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory taking into account the way they are described, their price, and any other relevant circumstances, such as the fact that they are second-hand or used. ... ..
If a product that was not of satisfactory quality at the time of the sale is returned to the retailer, the buyer is entitled to a full refund (if it is within a reasonable time of the sale), or, if a ?reasonable time ? has elapsed, to a reasonable amount of compensation. The consumer needs to demonstrate the goods were not of satisfactory quality at the time of sale. This is so if the consumer chooses to request an immediate refund or compensation. It is also the case for any product returned more than six months after the date of sale.

How can it be so difficult to find a car - L'escargot
Let your local Ford dealer know you are in the market for a used Mondeo. If they haven't got what you want at the time, they may know of a P/X arriving shortly. Failing that, they no doubt talk to other Ford dealers and may well be able to find you one.
--
L\'escargot.
I really wouldn't rely too much on the Sale of Goods Act as a warranty. It takes into account fair wear and tear, faults which should have been evident on reasonable inspection, the price paid, the way the car was sold and advertised, misuse subsequent to purchase etc.

If the engine blows up 2000 miles after you purchase it or the gearbox siezes then you'd have an argument but don't expect to buy a 60,000 mile 3 year old car from a car supermarket and then take it back 2 months with a slipping clutch or failed wheel bearing. On a high mileage car you might even have trouble arguing things like a blown head gasket as this could be argued as the kind of thing likely to go through wear and tear on a high mileage car.

The Sale of Goods act is there to stop consumers being blatantly ripped off - it is not there to enable consumers to buy cheaply and then get all the protection of a warranted sale.

If you buy a 10,000 mile 1 year old car from a franchised dealer at full retail price then faults will be viewed differently under the SoGA than a 3 year old 60,000 mile car sold below retail from a car supermarket.
How can it be so difficult to find a car - Chad.R
If you buy a 10,000 mile 1 year old car from
a franchised dealer at full retail price then faults will be
viewed differently under the SoGA than a 3 year old 60,000
mile car sold below retail from a car supermarket.

>>

Whilst I agree in general terms, wouldn't a "franchised dealer" and a "car supermarket" have similar obligations to their customers? Also I'm not sure whether the "price" has anything to do with it; Whether you buy a used car for full retail value at a dealer or buy a similar/same car at just above auction value from a car supermarket, surely the SoGA should apply equally to both cases?
The circumstances, price and way a product is advertised all affect your rights under the SoGA. As Car Supermarkets normally offer a warranty as a specific optional extra at time of sale they could quite rightly argue that it was made very clear to the purchaser no warranty was included in the asking price and the car was sold as seen.

Furthermore car supermarkets such as Car Giant also claim to inspect their cars. Assuming they keep a detailed record of this they would have considerable more evidence that a fault didn't exist at time of purchase than the buyer would that it did.

The SoGA is to protect the consumer from dodgy deals, blatantly false advertising and products which clearly do not do the job as described. As far as used cars are concerned it protects you from inaccurate descriptions, lies and sometimes very major mechanical failures. It should never be considered anything remotely close to a warranty as far as used cars are concerned or as a catch all "get out" for the buyer not reading the terms and conditions or understanding the basis of a sale providing that information is made available and clear to them.
Dear all,

Joe has finally found me the car! He is a fantastic guy and I can truly recommend his service to anyone.

The car is a Sept 2003 face-lifted Ford Mondeo TDCI 130 Ghia X in metallic red with cream leather, done 96k and cost £5,500. Joe said that's a good price and I agree with him. Drove it back from Blackbushe to central London and it averaged 52mpg.

Now, I am hoping that anyone can help to resolve a few things with the car;

1) It only came with one key and when I contacted the last owner (company), they don't have the second one. What's the cheapest way to source a 3-botton Ford remote key? Dagenham Ford wants £57 for the key and £93 for programming which I thought is very expensive.

2) The car seems to have very short 1st and 2nd gear. It is also too powerful in 1st or 2nd gear also. If I try to set off in 1st, the turbo kicks in too violently. If I set off in 2nd, it is very easy to stall. How are you suppose to drive these cars? (FYI, this is my first diesel)

3) There is a small tear (1/4 inch) on the door arm-rest plastic trim. What's the best way to repair this?

4) The car came with a Sony Ericsson HCB-500 car kit but I have also used Nokia. Is it a DIY job to just swap the cradle over or is it a re-wiring job?

Sorry for the many questions and thanks in advance for any answer.

Gazza
How can it be so difficult to find a car - henry k
That was a long 3 months waiting for the right Mondeo.
So this weekend it is wheels off and retorque the nuts?

Did the QX survive? Can we expect a QX with a hole in it up for sale in the classifieds?

Re the missing key. £150 seems to be about the norm in a Ford MD.
Lots of discussion on this subject if you do a search.
How can it be so difficult to find a car - Aprilia
Agree with you over the gear ratios on the Ford TDCI's. The Focus I had last week was just the same. You tend to accelerate rapidly in 1st, but no speed because the ratio is so low. Can be awkward pulling out of a side road. I think the trick is to get it moving in 1st and then shift into 2nd ASAP.

For the tear I would just go to one of the 'SMART' repair companies who do this type of trim repair. The can do an 'invisible' repair and get the texture right etc.

As regards the QX - don't scrap it. Should be easy enough to weld a short section of sheet steel over the hole. There are various holes punched in the front crossmember - its not just one of those that's 'enlarged' through rusting a bit is it?
Re. the QX - it has been behaving itself recently.

There are two patches of rusted holes 2-3 inches from either side of the central engine mount on the front cross-member (visible through the gaps between the fog lights). Are these holes punched into the front cross-member?
How can it be so difficult to find a car - Waino
Re the missing key. £150 seems to be about the norm
in a Ford MD.

This must mean that the key is now the most valuable part of my old Mondeo!

Seems a very good price, Archers of Ashby have a Jan 2003 2002 model pre facelift with 22k on the clock for £8999.

1) It will cost you a £100 plus though is worth getting a spare.

2) "It is also too powerful in 1st or 2nd gear also." Just takes getting used to, it is quite punchy at low revs so too much welly in the low gears can make it seem quite violent in its delivery. The 2.2 has what is effectively a boost limiter operable in 1st and 2nd.

3) "There is a small tear (1/4 inch) on the door arm-rest plastic trim." New trim from a dealer, probably £40 ish, worth it on a car of that age.

4) No idea.
All the details I have points to the necessity of 2 working keys to program the 3rd one.

I only have 1 working key :-(
How can it be so difficult to find a car - Stuartli
A Passat is a far better built car than any Mondeo.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
How can it be so difficult to find a car - googolplex

Tosh!
If my experience is anything to go by...

VWs are not what they used to be whilst, at the same time, Ford has done a great job in improving their cars.

Splodgeface

>>

Build might be the only area in which a Passat compares to a Mondeo and even then Ford's recent reliability has been way ahead, however in all other respect the Mondeo is far superior.
How can it be so difficult to find a car - Stuartli
<< Seems a very good price, Archers of Ashby <<

My lad bought his 03 Focus TDCi Zetec at this outlet (travelled 150 miles each way to get it) and was very impressed with the way he was treated and the salesman's honesty on the PX.

Because the car he was exchanging was exactly as he described it over the phone Archers, without any prompting, added £200 to the PX value.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
How can it be so difficult to find a car - Bill Payer
2) The car seems to have very short 1st and
2nd gear. It is also too powerful in 1st or
2nd gear also. If I try to set off in
1st, the turbo kicks in too violently. If I set
off in 2nd, it is very easy to stall. How
are you suppose to drive these cars? (FYI, this is
my first diesel)

I had a auto for a week once - I wasn't sure if it was dangerous or hilarious. Booting it onto fast roundabouts it was handy that it was auto - it took off so violently that you needed to have both hands available to hang on to the wheel!
3) There is a small tear (1/4 inch) on the
door arm-rest plastic trim. What's the best way to repair
this?

If the piece can be easily replaced, then that's probably the best/cheapest option. However, when I picked up my otherwise unmarked Merc, it had a cut in the centre console plastic. The dealer (MB Direct) 'invisibly' mended it. You'd really never know it had ever been cut. Not sure how you access these people though - perhaps a local SMART repairer or bodyshop could do it?
4) The car came with a Sony Ericsson HCB-500 car
kit but I have also used Nokia. Is it a
DIY job to just swap the cradle over or is it
a re-wiring job?

Hmm - I can find HCB-300 and 700 but not 500! Is it bluetooth and can you sync up with it? If it's a hard wired kit then you probably need to replace it with a complet Nokia kit - not expensive these days.
How can it be so difficult to find a car - Vin {P}
Sadly, my Y reg Ghia won't do for you. Shame, as it's up for sale.

V