What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Space Cadets - mare
I watched this last night, having missed it Wednesday night.

Being an anorak, i spotted three things that were obviously not Russian - the Abbott SP Gun patrolling the perimeter in deepest Russia, the GB registered helicopter that transported the cadets to Krimsk, but also the bus (motoring):

The bus looked to me to be a LHD Bedford and ex RAF - put a yellow stripe down the side and a roundal, and it's the school bus i used to catch in Liege to go to the British school in the early 80's. Obviously the logo's have been removed.

By chance if there's anyone on here who was serving in Europe in the 1980's, and also happens to be watching Space Cadets, can you put my mind at rest?

TIA
Space Cadets - kennybase
To be honest, if the production team can convince the 'space cadets' that they will be in a special orbit so that they don't experience weightlessness, then a few details like uk reg helicopters etc aren't going to get through their egos!
Makes for funny TV though - makes you wonder how far some people will convince themselves that they can anything to get on TV!

Space Cadets - mfarrow
I didn't watch it - did the bus have its UK registration plate still? www.buslistsontheweb.co.uk/ and "Search" may tell you where it was delivered to when new.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Space Cadets - mare
It wouldn't have UK plates (although who knows) in fact i can't recall seeing any plates on it at all.

The buses i am thinking of were RAF vehicles and as such wore white on black military plates (number number letter letter number number). Painted olive drab too.

Do take the point that the suspension of belief is such that the cadets probably won't twig, but it makes for frustrating viewing. I'm looking for howlers rather than watching the show!
Space Cadets - Rebecca {P}
what about calling the place S.T.A.R?! When there isn't an S or an R letter in Russian? I had condemned this programme as cruel, but now I've seem the wannabe space cadets, I shall watch with all the schadenfreude I can muster.
Space Cadets - Group B
Yes I spotted the Abbott SP gun too. I didnt watch it, just saw a few minutes of it. Thought it was a bit dumb; either dont do it, or borrow a T55 from a museum, and do it properly. (I suggested this to my girlfriend, who shook her head and stared at the ceiling!)...

I think they would be better with a few more people with russian accents around the place. Seems a bit TOO implausible, that it would be a multi-million pound business, and theres only one member of staff there, who is English!
Space Cadets - Altea Ego
Listen - if one of the actors can loose the plot and forget he is there to fool the others, then anything is possible.
----------------------------------------
TourVanMan < yes its RF reborn >
Space Cadets - lordy
i work with one of those mr 'i know everything about everything' types. A couple of months ago, he bought a telescope, and now considers himself a professional astronomer. His quote about 'space cadets' - "it would be obvious to me that i wasn't in Russia because of the position of the stars in the sky" Cue hilarious laughter from all!
--
let me be the last to let you down....
Space Cadets - mare
i work with one of those mr 'i know everything about
everything' types. A couple of months ago, he bought a telescope,
and now considers himself a professional astronomer. His quote about 'space
cadets' - "it would be obvious to me that i wasn't
in Russia because of the position of the stars in the
sky" Cue hilarious laughter from all!
--
let me be the last to let you down....

LOL!!
Space Cadets - kennybase
i work with one of those mr 'i know everything about
everything' types. A couple of months ago, he bought a telescope,
and now considers himself a professional astronomer. His quote about 'space
cadets' - "it would be obvious to me that i wasn't
in Russia because of the position of the stars in the
sky" Cue hilarious laughter from all!

This is what the selection process was all about - anyone with an ounce of common sense, education and maybe just a tiny bit of something extra between their ears was elliminated before - otherwise someone would have twigged by now.
Space Cadets - mare
what about calling the place S.T.A.R?! When there isn't an
S or an R letter in Russian? I had condemned
this programme as cruel, but now I've seem the wannabe space
cadets, I shall watch with all the schadenfreude I can muster.

Indeed, likely translation would be KTAP - in latin alphabet

Kosmos
Tooreezm
Agentstvo (not sure that the Russians would use Agency though)
Russya

Getting far too into this......
Space Cadets - pdc {P}
Everytime I hear the title of this program, I keep thinking it's about the Air Cadet Organisation, fondly (??) knows as "Space Cadets" by those in the RAF.
Space Cadets - Chris S
Everytime I hear the title of this program, I keep thinking
it's about the Air Cadet Organisation, fondly (??) knows as "Space
Cadets" by those in the RAF.

A 'Space Cadet' is also a colloquialism for someone who has suffered brain damage as a result of drug abuse.

I wonder if the producers knew that?
Space Cadets - AngryJonny
A 'Space Cadet' is also a colloquialism for someone who has
suffered brain damage as a result of drug abuse.
I wonder if the producers knew that?

I'm sure they're well aware of that.

The thing that got me was the use of a shuttle in the STAR logo. Far as I'm aware it's the Americans who had the shuttle. Still, the whole concept is so ridiculous that if you fell for that you'd fall for anything.

I wonder if there'll be a twist. "Ha ha! We got you! They're all actors. You've wasted 10 evenings of your life falling for our double-bluff."
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
Space Cadets - local yokel
Still, one of the vehicles was genuine former Soviet Blok - the UAZ 469 (the land rover sized 4WD, like this one - tinyurl.com/clhyq)

How did they manage to get them to remove their watches? You'd have hoped that the lack of timezone change might register?
Space Cadets - Stargazer {P}
>
The thing that got me was the use of a shuttle
in the STAR logo. Far as I'm aware it's the Americans
who had the shuttle. Still, the whole concept is so ridiculous
that if you fell for that you'd fall for anything.

The Soviet Union also had a shuttle program...Buran I think it was called, made some manned landings (from planes) and at least one unmanned launch from a rocket.
Space Cadets - Aprilia
I think the hoax is on the viewers.
Space Cadets - Rats
I think the hoax is on the viewers.

Funny that, I only watched about ten minutes of the programme the other night and thought exactly the same......Quite how the bunch that were on there could think that they would be shot into space is beyond me.........unless it was instead of conception!!!!
Space Cadets - Pugugly {P}
But check out those Russian registered Vauxhalls (yes - Vauxhalls)
Space Cadets - local yokel
>But check out those Russian registered Vauxhalls (yes - Vauxhalls)

The Russian for railway station is voksal - probably because Russians taken to see a rail station went to Vauxhall in SW London, and asked how to pronounce the name on the sign.
Space Cadets - mare
>But check out those Russian registered Vauxhalls (yes - Vauxhalls)
The Russian for railway station is voksal - probably because Russians
taken to see a rail station went to Vauxhall in SW
London, and asked how to pronounce the name on the sign.

No, it's because the first railway station in Russia was a copy of the original Vauxhall Station, which the tsar of the time saw on a trip to London and said

"i want that one"
Space Cadets - DrS
Yeah, well, whether you like it or not, it has to be better than watching that smarmy pink fluffy dice Jamie Oliver, which, we are lead to believe, is the alternative?
Or is that a lie too?
Space Cadets - Altea Ego
Nyet Nyet,

He said

"I vant zat vun"
----------------------------------------
TourVanMan < yes its RF reborn >