What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
CAP Valuation Renault Megane 225 - Keith S
Hi there,

Does anyone have access to the CAP values for the following car please. I'm thinking of auctioning it:

Renault Megane Renaultsport 225

2004-54 plate

3 Door Hatch

Black

15,000 miles

Optional Stereo Upgrade (Doubt this makes any difference :( )

If anyone has an opinion on its auction or private value then I'd be interested also.

Thanks

K
CAP Valuation Renault Megane 225 - Xileno {P}
Shame it's black otherwise I would be serious tempted...
There was one recently on ebay, IIRC it went for 10K but I can't remember the mileage.
Is it in top condition? (I would expect it is)

This is the only one I've seen sell on ebay. Lots of others that havent made reserve.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4589...1

Recon mine would qualify as CAP clean no probs.
CAP Valuation Renault Megane 225 - pd
Unless I'm going mad CAP do not appear to list it. I'd hazard a guess at about £12k.
Thanks for looking pd.

I think the CAP values on the AA website might be the same as the ones supplied to trade but they dont list the car either.

I paid £3 for a Glass's Valuation that said £13200 top part ex with £11900 average part ex and £14650 retail. But I think i'm right in saying dealers use CAP more than Glass's?
CAP Valuation Renault Megane 225 - Altea Ego
Either way, it still amazes me you can get such hooligan motors for so little money.
--
RF - Da DAA. < changes in phone box > Its TOURVAN man
Good question on the AA valuations. I've just had a quick look - the trade in price given on a few cars I tried seems to be roughly 10-12% higher than CAP's "Black Book" trade price on cars under about 10k and slightly less on older larger stuff.

The AA prices obviously allow for some trade-in over allowance. If you knock 10% off those prices you're probably in the rough area a car would fetch on a good day at auction.
A Colleagues company car is going to auction next week - the lease company advised me that they cant sell it direct but the CAP prices were 'X' as an idea if I wanted to bid. I looked on the AA site and they were over by about £75, £50 and £25 on Clean, Average and Below Average respecively.

I thought this was perhaps the AA being out of date, but from what you say the AA values are not the same as what the trade has, and hence not 100% gospel.

(The car for comparison was a Vauxhall Vectra SRI 2.2 DTI 2001 51 plate with 136,000 on the clock!)

Maybe theres no such thing as free valuations and its a case of spending £300/year on CAP books if I want authoritive information - not likely for a private punter buying cars every few years.
Once cars get over about 120k then all the guides tend to go out the window a bit and you have to judge the car on its own merits.

I'd guess about 2k on a good day but who knows for sure. CAP list a 2001/51 LS with 100k for 2585.

Depeding on which auction it's at the hassle might be more than the car is worth. Apart from having to stand around a cold auction house all day you need to check what the buyer's premium is at the relevant auction house (a total rip off when you're a private buyer) and then, having travelled, sorted the money and stood around waiting for it to come through you might get some idiot private buyer bid it to something way over its worth.

Going to an auction for one particular car is probably not worth it. You'll probably over bid if you do on the basis that "well, I've wasted all day, I might as well come back with it".

There are loads of high mileage Vectras about. Have a look on ebay where the prices are not that much more than auction when you take the indemnity fee into account and at least you can bid in the warm.
CAP Valuation Renault Megane 225 - BobbyG
On the subject of CAP / Glass', these seem to come up in ebay quite often - if I was thinking of going to auction to purchase, would it be worth me paying the £20 or so for a Nov copy of Glass or do they change dramatically month by month?
CAP Valuation Renault Megane 225 - barchettaman
Bear in mind that look4mycar.com have them at 14.5K NEW...
Thinking of trading down to a Corsa SXi 1.2 2003 52 plate 38000 miles in black.

I recon about 9k their cost to change, any thoughts?
I recon about 9k their cost to change, any thoughts?

Not ones you would want to hear. Megane 225 to a 1.2 Corsa?

Why?!

Well mainly because I can enter a cheap corsa into my company car scheme and get free fuel and insurance.

They wont allow the Magane - too high insurance group.

The Megane costs about £40/month in tyres based on 15,000 per year. They are £270/pair! Last about 10-11,000 miles on the front.

Only want a cheap Corsa for a while so I can enjoy cheapness and free fuel while I bolster my finances and decide what Diesel car to get. I hear VW are about to launch a Golf GT TDI with 170 BHP - and that will prob be able to be entered into company scheme.
I've heard a rumour that Renault may be putting the new 2.0 dCi engine in the Megane, tuned to give 150bhp. If you like your current Megane, then that might satisfy your needs.
Otherwise there's a high powered Seat Cupra TDi.