What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Focus ST170 - NickS
I keep coming accross these and am sorely tempted. When i looked at one at my local Ford garage though the salesman was saying how un-economical they are etc. Anybody got any views? They seem good value, and look superb IMO!
Focus ST170 - Adam {P}
What car have you got now?
Focus ST170 - nutty_nissan
On carsurvey.org, an owner claimed he was only getting 32mpg on motorways with his ST170..
Focus ST170 - AlastairW
I'de kill to get 32mpg out of my Focus. And its only a 1.8. :(
Focus ST170 - Xileno {P}
When i looked at one at my local Ford garage though the salesman was saying how un-economical they are etc.

Crikey. Anybody would think he was working there for fun.
Focus ST170 - uk2usa
I keep coming accross these and am sorely tempted. When i
looked at one at my local Ford garage though the salesman
was saying how un-economical they are etc. Anybody got any views?
They seem good value, and look superb IMO!

I had the US version of this car, the Focus SVT. Same 170bhp engine and 6 speed box etc.. Was a very nice car, quite fast especially if revved hard. Excellent handling and strong brakes. Agree about the fuel consumption thing, it was slightly painful even with yank prices. Especially around town it would guzzle fuel. The US version requires super unleaded, not sure about the Euro ST170s, but I'm guessing that'll be the same.
Focus ST170 - cheddar
One of the best balanced and communicative cars bar none, will go around a sub 80 mph corner faster than almost any other std car, any car that would be faster is the dry, i.e. Elise, would be a handful in the wet. Rather over shadowed by the RS, not quite as quick as a Type-R in a striaght line though much more composed handling.
Focus ST170 - Adam {P}
Agree with Cheddar. Superb car and when you see the prices now. I'm sorely tempted myself next year but typically they only did an ST170 hatch and estate.

I only asked what car you had because if you had a stupidly fast car, it may be a sideways step rather than a step up.

If you got one with all the kit (including Xenons), you'd be made up.
Focus ST170 - cheddar
Adam, perhaps all is not lost, IIRC the US spec Focus SVT mentioned by uk2usa was available as a saloon!
Focus ST170 - NickS
Adam,

I've got a 54 reg Golf , 1.4FSI at the moment, and while it is a very nice car, i have cravings for a bit of speed! Seeing as you are the orcacle when it coms to most focus shaped things, do you know what Ins Grp the ST170 is? (Im 22 so ins is still an issue)
Focus ST170 - Adam {P}
I might just get one of those Cheddar for the sake of it! ;-)

Nick, in which case then, you'll love the Focus. A lot. I wouldn't say I was the oracle but I think the ST is insurance group 15.

Good luck in your search,

Adam
Focus ST170 - uk2usa
Adam, perhaps all is not lost, IIRC the US spec Focus
SVT mentioned by uk2usa was available as a saloon!

Sorry to disappoint, but i dont recall having seen any sedan SVTs over here. A quick google suggests they may not have made them either. Unfortunately they discontinued the SVT with the introduction of the (mildly) revised 2005 focus lineup. In its place is the ST, which has only 150bhp and no 6 speed. However, some would be pleased to know it is available as a saloon, and possibly even in gold. For some reason (probably cost), we don't get the new model focus, it is the old one with a few cynical cosmetic changes for 2005. The US focus is notoriously badly built. My SVT had no end of problems. I just flogged it and bought a used Hyundai elantra, which despite the image, seems 100x better screwed together.
Focus ST170 - Adam {P}
That's not the first time I've heard that.
Focus ST170 - cheddar
>>the introduction of the (mildly) revised 2005 focus lineup. In its place is the ST, which has only 150bhp and no 6 speed. However, some would be pleased to know it is available as a
saloon, and possibly even in gold. >>

ST not SVT, perhaps that is what I saw when over there in September, certainly the faclifted car is still very contemporay.
Focus ST170 - Blue {P}
>>the introduction of the (mildly) revised 2005 focus lineup. In its
place is the ST, which has only 150bhp and no 6
speed. However, some would be pleased to know it is available
as a
>> saloon, and possibly even in gold. >>
ST not SVT, perhaps that is what I saw when over
there in September, certainly the faclifted car is still very contemporay.

Having just had a look at the Ford USA website I have to say that I'm particularly impressed with how they have managed to suck all of the style and attractiveness out of the dashboard and replace it with a slab of bland grey plastic...

I know some people don't like the old Focus dash, I happen to love it's design, personally I think that this facelift is a retrograde step, thank god they didn't do it in this country! Am amazed that they haven't just introduced the new Focus to the US rather than butchering the inside of what was a perfectly likeable car...

Blue
Focus ST170 - cheddar
>> I know some people don't like the old Focus dash, I happen to love it's design, personally I think that this facelift
is a retrograde step, >>

I have not looked closely inside however the 2005 facelift US Focus looks fine on the road.
Focus ST170 - henry k
I'm sorely tempted myself next year but typically they only
did an ST170 hatch and estate.

For extra carrying capacity for the st170 you could try
tinyurl.com/cpbab
Focus ST170 - Simon
I've got a 54 plate Focus ST170, which I have owned since it was new. I can't fault it, it handles well, its goes pretty well and looks good too. It is true though that 32mpg is about average for steady driving, if you thrash it then expect it to go down to the mid 20's.
Focus ST170 - MoneyMart
From my experience, they're a bit fragile.

I had one on 48 hour demo.... It lasted 12 miles before it was on the back of an RAC flatbed.

Admittedly I was driving it hard, but the gear linkage fell apart leaving me without any drive...

Could have been a one-off I suppose, but not a very good impression. p.s. it was brand new.
Focus ST170 - Adam {P}
I would imagine it's a one off although the early ones did suffer a few reliability problems unique to the ST.
Focus ST170 - Wally Zebon
If my Fiance didn't have a Clio 182 she'd have a Focus ST170.

The Clio will go around any corner in the wet or dry quicker than anything I've EVER been in (including rollercoasters)! Evo magazine rate it the best small hatch ever. They rate the ST170 very high as well, but the Clio has the edge.

Focus ST170 - MoneyMart
If my Fiance didn't have a Clio 182 she'd have a
Focus ST170.
The Clio will go around any corner in the wet or
dry quicker than anything I've EVER been in (including rollercoasters)!
Evo magazine rate it the best small hatch ever. They
rate the ST170 very high as well, but the Clio has
the edge.

It may have rated higher than the Focus on cornering performance, but from past experience it would compare very poorly in terms of reliability.

Every Renault I have ever known of has been very fragile and badly put together.

Every Ford I have ever known of has been at least average, and in recent years above average reliability.
Focus ST170 - mr.freezer
Spot on, my laguna (not chosen by me)is awful

Focus's seem a bit better built although the few hundred miles spent in the ST170 didn't blow me away performance wise, and the tight people at ford hadn't even furnished it with a fag lighter
Focus ST170 - Adam {P}
Are you sure it wasn't equipped with the "non-smokers" pack?

Focus ST170 - mr.freezer
Didn't think such a thing existed but now you come to mention it I'm sure it does

It still seemed a bit dull to drive
Focus ST170 - Adam {P}
It's just a marketing ploy only now the standard cigarette lighter and ashtray is a 50 quid option under the name "Smokers Pack".

Without it, you get an ashtray only it looks more like a drawer and no lighter - just a cap with 12v written on it.

I'm beginning to think something was really wrong with the one you tested though.
Focus ST170 - mr.freezer
wasn't a test drive, someone from work had it as a company car.they then left and it got used briefly as a pool car.It was run in but most of my few hundred miles was on a motorway and it just didn't seem to have much shove without having to thrash it. Perhaps my driving style (used to diesels) didn't bring out the best.

I appreciate the focus is a great handling car though and your opinion may be different.

Can the ash tray accomodate pay and display/bridge toll receipts etc ?
(just kidding)
Focus ST170 - Adam {P}
>>Can the ash tray accomodate pay and display/bridge toll receipts etc ?
(just kidding)<<

No - you can only put none ash related rubbish in the "Non Smokers Tray". ;-)
Focus ST170 - mr.freezer
Oh well, passenger sun visor it is then

Is there going to be a new shape Focus equivelent of the ST170 ?
Focus ST170 - AR-CoolC
Is there going to be a new shape Focus equivelent of the ST170 ?

www.ford.co.uk/ie/foc_c307/foc_c307_experience/foc.../-
Focus ST170 - mr.freezer
oops, my mistake, I thought that was the model above the old one, despite reading about it everywhere for the last few weeks

£17500 does seem a pretty good list price for it, plus £50 for a fag lighter
Focus ST170 - Wally Zebon
As reviewed on last nights Top Gear..

The Ford Focus ASBO

220BHP from a 2.5 litre turbo lump nicked out of a Volvo

Nice enough car - but not in orange!
Focus ST170 - Conditional Identity
Am I the only person who likes the orange one?

I saw a red ST this weekend, and thought it looked a bit bland
Focus ST170 - Adam {P}
>>Am I the only person who likes the orange one?<<

Probably. I'm all for different cars but that orange looks awful.

>>I saw a red ST this weekend, and thought it looked a bit bland<<

A new one?

Focus ST170 - Conditional Identity
Yep - clockwise on the SouthWestern part of the M25

Focus ST170 - tyro
Am I the only person who likes the orange one?

No. I reckon it's a great colour.

It's just the low profile tyres and the spoiler I don't like :-)
Focus ST170 - AK76
will go around a sub 80 mph corner faster than almost any
other std car, any car that would be faster is the
dry, i.e. Elise, would be a handful in the wet. Rather
over shadowed by the RS, not quite as quick as a
Type-R in a striaght line though much more composed handling.

WHAT!!! That is one of the most uneducated comments i've read on HJ.

I dont mean to appear so harsh, but its a bit much to spout such nonsense whilst giving an air of knowledge, that frankly just isnt there.

I agree the ST170 is a good car. In fact a very good car and so the handling is not in doubt. But performance wise it most certainly is not faster than almost any other std car.

I have driven the ST170, Type R, and 182 and thge CTR and 182 are both far quicker round bends and on the straight. Wet or dry.

And they are just in the same class. Keep going up classes and you might just find that the 170 is fairly nippy rounds bends but not faster than almost any other car. There are 100's more cars that are quicker.

I appreciate you would marry a Mondeo TDCI if you could and love Fords to bits, but at least carry some impartiality and honesty.
Focus ST170 - Shaz {p}
I remember reading a test in CAR magazine - type r vs st170.
type r quicker, racier,

st170 more composed and better on the bends. something about better suspension tuning.
Focus ST170 - cheddar
WHAT!!! That is one of the most uneducated comments i've read
on HJ.
I dont mean to appear so harsh,

That's OK an apology will be fine.
I agree the ST170 is a good car. In fact a
very good car and so the handling is not in doubt.
But performance wise it most certainly is not faster than almost any other std car.

I did not say it is faster than any other std car I said it will go around a sub 80 mph corner faster than almost any other std car and any car that would be faster in the dry would be a handful in the wet.
I have driven the ST170, Type R, and 182 and thge
CTR and 182 are both far quicker round bends and on
the straight. Wet or dry.

Both the Clio and Type-R are faster in a straight line though the Type-R simply does not have the ultimate grip of the other two and the Clio is more of a handful than the Focus.
And they are just in the same class. Keep going up
classes and you might just find that the 170 is fairly
nippy rounds bends but not faster than almost any other car.
There are 100's more cars that are quicker.

100's! Total Rubbish, in it's domain, twisty back roads, perhaps a 182, WRX, Evo, Elise in the dry and may be a hndful of others though NOT 100's.
I appreciate you would marry a Mondeo TDCI if you could
and love Fords to bits, but at least carry some impartiality
and honesty.

With regard to impartiality I said "not quite as quick as a Type-R in a straight line", yes I have a Mondeo though I also have a Clio and am quite a fan of Renaults, I will also recommend many other makes/models when applicable, with regard to honesty, I am offended though that apology should cover it.

Focus ST170 - AK76
I wont apologise at all as i firmly believe what you have said is tosh.

AS you say, and i fully understood, its not about being faster but about going round bends faster. The 170 is still not that quick round bends compared to many many performance cars. As many magazines have said its a lukewarm hatch. Not a hot hatch. And sublime handling doesnt necessarily make it quick round bends.

And if you think a Clio 182 is a bit of handful at sub 80mph bends you must be deluded.

Have you actually driven a Civic Type R and 182? They will round bends quicker than the 170, without the drama you state. Full stop.

Regards 100's of cars, open your mind to various Audi S types, BMW M cars, Jap 4wd's, not to mention Porsche, VW R32, new VW GTI and Corrado and various french hot hatches. Shall i go on?

Cheddar, you type like a man who projects knowledge but in this respect you just come across like someone who hasnt actually driven that many quick cars and has actually a limited knowledge of said hot hatches and performance cars.

Focus ST170 - J Bonington Jagworth
I hesitate to intrude, but such comparisons are about as valid as Top Gear's 'test track' (never mind if it's raining...) without consideration of the tyres. The standard fitment will necessarily be a big compromise, and nothing like optimised for ultimate grip. They are all different, too...
Focus ST170 - cheddar
The fact that you think it is relevant to compare "Audi S types, BMW M cars" etc with the likes of a 182 and ST170 makes a farce of your argument, the new Golf GTI deserves a mention as does a Megane 225, both great cars they are (the latter would be my hot hatch choice) though neither are as supremely quick through the tight twisties as the 182 or ST even though they will blitz the straights. As for the Corrado it was great in its day though it is daft to compare it with the best contemporary cars, "various french hot hatches", other than the 172/182 I cant imagine what you are referring to, perhaps the venerable 205 GTi, again great in it's day though the game has moved on.
Focus ST170 - Dynamic Dave

Petty arguments, name calling, insults, and general disagreements all deleted. Nothing of worth was deleted in the tidy up. DD