What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Theft or vandalism - which is best? - Big Bad Dave
We had a long weekend in Lodz with mother-in-law this weekend so the car was ungaridged outside her block of flats. As wifey was brushing the snow off it this morning she noticed that both mirrors had been ripped off, metal brackets torn and a million wires hanging out.

I?ve had all day to mull this over so I?m pretty chilled about it now (naturally my first thought was to ring my brothers in England and have them pick some Pole at random, kick his teeth out and break his fingers), but my wife summed up my thoughts by saying "I just want to know if they did it to sell them or they did it because it?s a nice car with British plates".

I suppose I kind of hope they did it to put a meal on some kid?s table, it?s a poor part of the city, large unemployment blah blah but I really think it?s a spite crime and I tend to dwell on things like that a bit more. Ultimately of course, I?m going to replace the mirrors, forget it ever happened and carry on with my happy life (something I hope the perpertrator will dwell upon as he spends the rest of his miserable life scratching in the ground, pecking for food).

So I had an insight into Polish police stations today. I got a nice copper as it happens, he spent an hour and a half with me and wifey in his little office with a traditional old typewriter (bought with his own money) tapping away his report one finger at a time. Of course I know nothing will happen and he admitted as much but it?s illegal to drive without mirrors here so I had to report it. Then it was off to Peugeot to be told that the mirrors are 1,200 zloty each (£200) but I?ve hopefully managed to source some unpainted ones through my well connected wife for about £30 each. We?ll see. Anyway, I thought I?d share that with you and you?d all sympathise...

Oh and to answer another thread, temp sensors on a Peugeot 406 are in the mirrors.
Theft or vandalism - which is best? - Altea Ego
Dave

I know where i can find some 406 mirrors cheap, my mate Andrzej happens to have a pair just in............
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
Theft or vandalism - which is best? - AngryJonny
Bah. That's really annoying. I sympathise totally.

Since I've lived in my current place I've had my car vandalised and my flat broken into. I was much more annoyed about the vandalism than the theft. OK - so I lost a camera and some cash and a CD player (and some Swiss chocolate and a can of beer(!)) but hopefully that's gone to feed to some moribund scally's crack-habit thereby funding his imminent untimely death.

The vandalism, on the other hand, was needless. They damaged my car, they got nothing out of it themselves and the severely peed me off. I'm not sure what I'd do now if I spotted a scally running a key down someone's car.

There are some people out there who cheat and steal for a living, and beneath them there are vandals.
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
Theft or vandalism - which is best? - bell boy
if i ever have a car thats scrap i always try the vandalism scratch technique(to test different makes) ie through to the primer/metal i can tell you now to do a proper job is hard so i have always thought that the people who do this(and i forget how many cars ive had vandalised in my life) have a major problem in their head.
i have always thought that the people who
do this(and i forget how many cars ive had vandalised in
my life) have a major problem in their head.

They'd have a slightly more urgent problem in their head if I ever caught them doing it. Like the sharp end of a hammmer.
----
Theft or vandalism - which is best? - BobbyG
BBD if your wife's contact doesnt work out there are plenty on ebay although I realise that time is not on your side!
There?s probly a pair on ebay right now that still have snow on em!
Now I?m getting seriously fed up, I?ve looked on ebay, the problem is I need power folding and memory mirrors and they seem to be rarer than dinosaur poo. I also want UK spec, posted to Poland. Is there a parts section on the autotrader website? Any other ideas, suggestions?

Cheers

Dave
A quick search on Euro Car Parts reveals replacement mirrors for an 04 406 V6 for 44.30 each. Is that the whole unit or just the glass? I can't tell.

Anyway, I'm sure if you can't get what you need posted to Poland someone here in Blighty would be happy to receive the item and send it on. I know I would.
----
E34kid, would you really do that for me? I?m choked!

Thanks for the Euro Car Parts tip, I think I?ll go with them. At that price, I doubt they have memory or power folding but to be honest, what?s the point if some bottom feeder is gonna rip them off again.

I?ll call them tomorrow before I commit. Cheers matey, are you in Hammersmith by any chance, it?s my old manor.
I work in Hammersmith but I live in Ealing. So west London basically, yeah.

Anyway - yeah, if you want me to receive them and send them on that's not a problem. You'll find my e-mail address in my profile.
----