What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - daveyjp
A colleague took her Type R in for a service on Friday at her local main Honda dealer. She had the day off and received a call to say her car was ready, but on the test run had received a 'minor' knock. They told her to keep the courtesy car and they would call her when her car was ready!

She said she wanted to come down and see it but was told there was no need as the car would be sorted - keep the courtesy car etc.

She went straight to the dealership and saw the car - 'minor' damage is a whole new front end including bonnet, front valance, both wings, lights, radiator and other possible engine bay damage.

The dealer principle wouldn't speak to them at first. After they performed a 'sit in' he had no choice but to see them and his attitude was one of 'oh well these things happen and we have offered you £270'. He told them a cock and bull story about how the guy skidded on ice, no one else involved etc etc. After much discussion the manager let slip that there was third party involved. The other guy was sat at some traffic lights when he was rear ended! There are independent witnesses to the event.

The compensation offer is 50% of the service cost of £540.

Needless to say she is less than happy - any advice on how she should proceed?
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - Happy Blue!
Cleary major problem for the Honda dealer and if they want to avoid publicity will be sensible. This is not over £40 of brake shoes.

I would demand a new Type R at cost price with maximum trade in value of old vehicle in previously good condition. I would not want the old car back, but if forced to would expect a free service for the next two years and the car repaired with a three year warranty on the repair work.

Go in politely but firmly and say 'look, this is not my fault and your staff have been playing around in my car'

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - adverse camber
I would also instruct them not to do anything to the car without your authorisation. you probably dont want them to start repairs and then claim its all OK.
If they say they will charge for storage, then tell them it will be outside on a low loader with a sign for the next month.

I would want all details of the accident, possibly call the police?
If forced to take it back I would want a serious cash payment to cover loss of value.
Get good photos of the car, the local rag can use them.
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - codefarm
I'd get a good effective lawyer involved straightaway.
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - Nsar
And make detailed notes of exactly what was said and when as soon as possible ie now and send them to the dealer principal.
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - Jason
I have heard of a similar incident at my local Subaru dealer with an Impreza.

It is obvious that the young mechanics employed in these places feel that driving these high performance cars is a perk of their job and no doubt drive like lunatics when they take them for the obligatory test drive at the end of the car's service.

If I was lucky enough to own a nice high performance car I would insist on staying at the dealership whilst the car is being serviced and also accompany the mechanic on the test drive.

Why should somebody have their pride and joy (for which they have worked hard for)thrashed within an inch of their life and in this case smashed up. Your car would never feel the same.

My office looks over a dealership and I see the way in which the mechanics drive customer's cars.

Insist on new Type R at cost and full book for the crashed car.
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - Keith S
Sorry to hear of that - nightmare!

Remember that an accident damaged car is not worth as much as a vehicle that has been involved in an accident.

Most insurance companies specifically exclude loss of value due to repairs because they are only too aware of it.

I wouldnt let the dealer anywhere near it. Not sure if you need a lawyer mind. Does your car insurance cover legal expenses?

Insist on everything between you and the dealer being put in writing in case you end up having to go to court over this.

Makes my blood boil how cheeky this, and seemingly most other, main dealers are!

Get a price from Glasses guide so you know what your car is worth on the forcourt, rather than them telling you. You might stuggle to also get a replacement at cost however.
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - Dynamic Dave
Remember that an accident damaged car is not worth as much
as a vehicle that has been involved in an accident.

Providing the repair is of a high quality, where all panel gaps are perfect, the paint matches all the other panels that are the original panels, etc, then I can't see how your statement is valid.

It's worth remembering that many brand new cars in dealership showrooms and forcourts have already seen a spraygun after they've been delivered due to paint inperfections made at the factory and where they've been damaged en-route on the back of the transporter.
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - neil
Erm.... bit of a feeding frenzy going on? Calm down dears! Nothing at all to suggest the mech was doing anything wrong, except having an accident!

Its annoying, but then so is much of life.

I'd expect them to... well, now, lets see...1) repair the car, and do it well - after all they are Honda dealers.

2) And maybe a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience, and give you a courtesy car while they do the repairs.

Oh, they've offered that already, haven't they...?

And maybe a bunch of flowers, or a good bottle of something to say sorry...? As long as you don't really hack them off...!

As for anything else, why should they? Accidents happen, that's why bodyshops exist, and they happen to garages too. C'est la vie... you'll get more from them with a smile than a big stick, considering they're already doing everything they might be required to do! As long as the repairs are faultless, seems about as much as you/she could hope for to me. Or... you could maybe sue for loss of value...small claims court... but how much, realistically, are you/she likely to recover when the car is repaired properly? If its not a big enough 'hit' to be on the register, is there any loss at all? Would a court agree?

Neil
Fair comments perhaps but when the owner comes to sell and the buyer asks "has it ever been in an accident" then it's going to hurt a bit more than the cost of a bunch of flowers.
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - adverse camber
Absolutely.

The dealer was not exactly open about the damage, principle trying to avoid speaking to owner.

I guess we should ask how old / what condition the car was in before the smash ?

Well - he didn't try so very hard, did he? Agreed, not wonderful PR - but he then seems to have faced up to his responsibilities when pressed - and to be honest, the aftersales manager could have dealt with this. Perhaps the dealer principal wanted to keep himself in reserve in case he was needed later? The point is, if someone asks whether its been in an accident, the honest answer 'it had a front end bump but was repaired by the Honda dealer who bumped it' shouldn't frighten too many punters - after all, they might be impressed by the honesty. Assuming the plan IS honesty, of course! I'm not suggesting this is a wonderful experience, but there is a need to 'keep it real' - a good fix and some goodwill is all she's going to get, in my opinion. Thing about goodwill is it rarely arises where people start flinging accusations about... better to work with them to resolve it, surely? Just be realistic in what you want, is all I'm saying.
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - Morris Ox
These situations are all about being fair and reasonable.

These criteria demand that the dealer is given the opportunity to repair the car to the condition it was in before the accident happened and to do so in a manner that does not inconvenience the owner.

But if the owner then rejects the repaired car because it has not been returned to that condition (i.e., there's a rattle that wasn't there before, its chassis behaviour has changed) the issue of compensation or replacement arises based on market value at the time of the accident.

Bear in mind the effect a repair bill may have on used value There is a case for compensation there too.

Incidentally, it isn't good enough to say 'these things happen, that's why bodyshops exist'. Dealers using someone else's property owe the owner a duty of care - which was clearly not exercised properly here.

The accident was also followed by a clear attempt to mislead the owner. In those circumstances it is entirely fair and reasonable for the aggrived owner to turn th screw.
Morris, on what evidence do you make the accusation that a duty of care - (which granted exists, to the extent that a contract for bailment with services gives rise to an implied duty to look after the bailed property as one would one's own)has been breached? Are you suggesting that people don't have accidents in their own cars? The evidence would suggest the contrary, and no higher duty is owed than I have suggested? How do you mean 'rejects' the car? Not an option here, unless you mean claims that the repair is not well done, in which case the dealer should really get another crack at getting it right (locus penitentiae, if I recall correctly) but ultimately the owner could perhaps recover the cost of getting the repair made good elsewhere. I'm not sure where the 'clear attempt to mislead the owner' comes from - do you mean re the extent of damage? And yes, by all means attempt to turn the screw, but just don't expect there to be any reward for doing so - keep it reasonable!
On the basis that I've come across too many businesses trying to spin their way to an 'acceptable' version of the plain truth.

Park the over-wrought legalese. You simply cannot argue that a duty of care allows you to break someone else's property recklessly, lie about the cause, repair it, and then everything is alright. This is a million miles away from fair dealing.

It is fair and reasonable that you should be allowed to repair the damage, but it is also fair and reasonable that you should compensate the owner for loss - due to inconvenience, an inability to return the vehicle to original condition, due to reduced value.

The dealer tried to cover-up what happened. He suffers the consequences, not the customer.
Hmm...what are you on about? 'Park the overwrought legalese?' Who is being 'overwrought' here - me, with a summary of the facts, or you, who accuse the garage on no evidence whatever of 'recklessness' and lies? The garage appear to have offered to repair the car, and some slight compensation in excess of that, which may or may not be negotiable upwards. That strikes me as them 'suffering the consequences' - but hey, this is a discussion forum, so whether you agree with me or not doesn't really interest me. I'd prefer it if you didn't accuse me of being 'overwrought' though - and as for 'legalese' - if people are starting to spout about others rights, might be as well to inject a dose of legal principle? Or not, as you wish!

Neil
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - Dynamic Dave
Ok, cool it down, or I get the scissors out and start trimming this thread.

DD.
Hmm... was just defending myself against accusations...!
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - Peter S
I'd agree with Neil - accidents happen unfortunately. I'd have expected the dealer to be a bit more apologetic though.

A couple of years ago a similar thing happened to my mother's VW Golf, which was in for a service. Nothing sporty, just a standard 1.6SE that shunted into another car at some lights. The dealer called, being very apologetic, to explain what had happened. Fortunately (!) my mother was very relaxed about; I think she actually laughed - probably from shock:-)

The damage sounded fairly similar to above, but don't forget that the front of car is designed to crumple on impact even at low speed, and comprises mainly bolt on pannels, so should be easy to fix well.

My mother was offered a courtesy car immediately, the car was fixed perfectly and there was no charge for the service (c. £400 including brakes, etc). Was the car worth any less as a result? Hard to say; certainly wasn't picked up or mentioned when she traded it in.

The dealer principle (largish main dealer) told her it happened once or twice a year. If you think they probably service 10 - 15 cars a day, 220 days a year, then thats probably between 2,500 and 3,000 cars a year. Only a matter of time before one gets damaged...what counts is how they handle it when it happens.

Peter
Exactly - I think perhaps that a good compromise would be what happened here with the VW dealer - maybe the full cost of the service should be waived. I suspect with a reasonable attitude, that and a mega-valet might well be achievable. A realistic target!

Neil
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - BobbyG
Re the point on getting compensation to make up for its pereceived lost value, on a normal claim AFAIK a payment for this is not made?

If someone crashes into your car, ins company pays for repairs, injuries etc, but don't give you a cheque for loss of value do they?

So why should this garage? Yes, thats harsh and I would be shouting from the rooftops if it happened to me. But it hasn't , so like many on here, I can be a bit more rational over it!

But I would push for a free service etc as much as I could, after ensuring I had taken lots of photos!
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - Stuartli
>>Its annoying, but then so is much of life.>>

I don't think I've ever read such tosh in my life.....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Glad to hear your life isn't like mine then...
Oh... but PS, I did turn out to be about right...! ;-)
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - Editor
Rotten luck dave. Now then. FWIW I think your dealer has been slightly right of weasely & thus all bets about being nicey, rational, etc are off. I'm with espada III all the way. Had they been honourable about it, maybe I'd be more leaning towards others, but they weren't. Nail them to the floor. Well, your friend really.

And yes, the mechs/techs do indeed give the tasty cars a decent work out-you would wouldn't you & besides it can the only times that some components ever get a proper work out. Persoanlly I have no prob with a trained & skillful operative giving my car a decent seeing to. But then again I doubt such an operative would rear end a stationary vehicle. Accidents happen-sure do but to whap a stationary vehicle....? That takes a different kind of muppet to achieve that.

Good Luck. Do post up progress!
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - P 2501
I have seen first hand how mechanics, and other dealer employees treat customers cars. If you take your car to be serviced at a main dealer and it is anything other than a bog standard 1.6, expect it to get a thrashing.

I agree with Neil in some respects that it would be benificial to go in here wih a good attitude, but also a firm attitude to extract the highest possible recompense.

Also Neil, to even hint that this car was involved in a crash for any reason other than it being thrashed to within an inch of its life is naive in the extreme.
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - just a bloke
to even hint that this car was involved in
a crash for any reason other than it being thrashed to
within an inch of its life is naive in the extreme.

Not entirely sure why this is an issue...

The only things that are relevant are...

1) The car was left at a dealer for a service
2) The car was nivolved in an accident
3) The dealer is repairing the car
4) The dealer has made a offer of compensation

What has dealers staff thrashing the car got anything to do with anything?

:)JaB
What has dealers staff thrashing the car got anything to do with anything?

Potentially quite a lot actually! It's called duty of care - the dealer is vicarously liable for the actions of their employees.

Update - dealer is refusing to budge on offer of compensation, won't allow owner to see car for photos to be taken, won't say where accident actually happened, has changed story about what happened completely, but it is still different to what third party and witness are saying!
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - Wally Zebon
The car does not belong to the dealer so if they refuse access to it then call the police.
Surely its as simple as that!
>>Update - dealer is refusing to budge on offer of compensation, won't allow owner to see car for photos to be taken, won't say where accident actually happened, has changed story about what happened completely, but it is still different to what third party and witness are saying!

I don't like the sound of any of that at all. As mentioned, surely you must be allowed access to your own car?! time to call in the solicitors perhaps?
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - AngryJonny
Yes. You have left your car with the dealer and they are refusing to return it and refusing to let you see it. That's theft.

They have also lied about the extent of the damage, lied about the involvement of a third party and failed to disclose all the details of an accident that they had in your car. When the third party noted down the details they noted down your registration number. What if criminal charges are brought - the police are going to come to you and you won't have any answers for them.

This is shocking behaviour, regardless of how the accident happened and whether or not they were being careful or negligent. They've broken your car and it's their duty to be as helpful as possible in getting it sorted. Sounds like they're just trying to cover it up.
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - David Horn
If it was me I'd be down in the local nick finding out whether criminal charges are going to be bought.
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - alex

But I thought Honda was a reputable car manufacturer who would appoint like-minded dealers ?
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - SteVee
If a 3rd party is making a claim, and this car's reg. nr is recorded then it could affect the owner's insurance history. It might be worthwhile talking to the owner's insurance co to clarify any position and get any paperwork sorted now.

Consider also having the car professionally checked when it's returned - it may be possible to claim the cost of this back from the garage through the small claims court. Certainly I would want some sort of warranty (in writing) regarding the bodywork repairs.

I would also trade the car ASAP.

I imagine that this could happen with any dealer.
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - Wally Zebon
A well written letter to Honda's head office in the UK might work wonders as well.

I remember some time back a thread about a Civic Type R that siezed after only a few miles. The dealer refused to touch it claiming that the owner never put any oil in!

A quick correspondence with the head office and a brand new Type R was delivered. I believe that the franchise also lost their Honda dealership status.

Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - rjr
A well written letter to Honda's head office in the UK
might work wonders as well.

I would advise trying to find out the name of the parent company of the Dealership and contacting them.

The control that distributors (like Honda UK) can have over their Dealerships is limited by the terms of the franchise agreement and a single incident is unlikely to result in a franchise being withdrawn. They may not be prepared to get involved in this case.

However, a Dealership and in particular a Dealer Principal will have to answer to his employers at the parent company.

This information is not always easily obtainable and due to naming and shaming rules you can't post the name of the dealership on the board but you may find the details on invoices or headed paper from the dealership.

Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - local yokel
> A well written letter to Honda's head office in the UK might work wonders as well.

I'd second that. The letter needs to be utterly accurate, neutral in tone - eg I'm sure you will be as concerned as I am about the actions of XX Ltd. My faith in your brand is now shaken, and I am certain this is something you will want to look into., ...

Make sure it's addressed in person to the headish honcho, eg Sales Director, Honda UK (phone up switchboard and ask for name) and I expect you'll get a stunning reaction. Save the Watchdog threats for later.

Did the same when I was being messed around by a subsidiary of a major plc, got a very good, professional response, inc. a call from the MD of the company in apology.

I'd actually break off completely from contact with the dealer until he hears from Honda UK. The rocket he'll get will be far more painfull than anything you can deliver.
It's also debatable if the car has to be repaired by the dealer in question (or a bodyshop he chooses).

I'd argue that the car's owner has the right to choose any authorised repairer and have the bill paid by the dealership. That might be more expensive for the dealership as they won't be getting trade/volume rates!
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - turbo11
three years ago,my best friends three week old X-trail developed an oil leak.Whilst at the Nissan dealership the vehicle was crashed while being road tested.The damage was front end.The vehicle was replaced for an identical new one,with £1800 of extras.Now thats what i call service.
>The vehicle was replaced for an identical new one,with £1800 of extras.Now thats what i call service.

The irony is that such a high level of service dedication in what was potentially a bad customer experience has been turned into a really good one. The friend (and his/her friends) will have told this story to over a hundred people on average, and will ensure that this Nissan dealer gets more business as a result.

Contrast that with the Honda dealer, who even now is losing business as a result of his "difficulties" with the truth.
I think its fair to say that no-one would pay the market rate for a car that they know has been in an accident. (In coming years the paint may fade at different rates, rust may appear etc etc. Plus, unless the car is fully stripped down and repainted from bare metal you get the inevitable overspray onto suspension etc.)

How much this is depends on the age of the car at resale I suppose.

I dont think a court would award a value for a loss that has yet to be realised. Which leaves you with the option of negotiating with the dealer, or going to court once the actual loss has been realised.
Found a few interesting links on the subject:

moneycentral.msn.com/content/Insurance/Insureyourc...p

www.rac.co.uk/web/personalinjuryclaims/glossary_of...s

www.ucl.ac.uk/laws/global_law/german-cases/cases_b...1

www.norwichunion.com/nud/policy-summaries/car-ins-...m

www.budgetinsurance.com/car_information/more_car_e...9

www.zurichinsurance.co.uk/Car/Comprehensive/BasicC...p

There must be some precedent set in UK law regarding this?

Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - Thommo
DD is right that this thread got a bit heated but I think heat is called for. Dealership has proved it cannot be trusted on more than one occasion so why trust it now?

Call Honda UK now and speak to as high up a person as you can get on the phone.

Get a lawyer. Don't worry about the cost as the dealer will pay as part of the settlement (oh yes they will).

Contact local paper and get them to call dealership and Honda UK.

GO NUCLEAR!
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - MoneyMart
My 6 month old Golf GTI got damaged when it was in being serviced at VW. The rear wheel arch was caught on the pillar by the entrance to the service bay and the paint was badly scratched.

When I went to collect the car, nobody mentioned it to me. It was only when I went to get in it that I noticed it. I walked straight back into the dealership and asked what had happened, to which they replied "oh, the damage must have been there before... wasn't our fault.. we didn't do it... etc etc".

I then walked round the back of the dealership where the service bay is and found the service manager and one of the mechanics with a bucket of soapy water and a sponge trying to remove the paint scrape from the pillar.

Eventually they admitted it was their fault (after I had taken a photograph of them trying to hide the evidence) and they took the car in for repair. Now, considering this was a 6 month old £18000 car, and the damage was only a minor paint scrape (no dents), the repair was absolutely appalling. They had resprayed the whole rear quarter of the car (it was a 3 door), but hadn't removed the glass or anything, so you could see the paint line where they had masked up.

I was absolutely fuming. In the end it became more hassle than it was worth so I left the matter in the hands of the lease company (it was a company car), who said it wasn't worth their time pursuing it. I figured if they weren't bothered about the impact to the cars value then why should I be!

It went back to the lease company at 3 years old, and by that time the re-sprayed panel had faded to a different shade and had millions of tiny swirls in it where the paint had scratched when washing it as it was softer than the factory paint. They went mental about it until I reminded them that they had said it wasn't worth pursuing it! I believe it sold for a ridiculously low price at auction.

So my recommendation is to remove the car from the dealership immediately, take it somewhere else for repair and get a solicitor on the case pronto. Hire an equivalent car (might be difficult given it's a Type-R though) and keep receipts. The dealer has no alternative but to cough up for the repair costs, out of pocket expenses plus your solicitor should pursue compensation for inconvenience and loss of value.
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - mikeyb
If it was me I would want to remove the car from the delaers ASAP as I suspect that they wont let you see it becuase they are carrying out the repair.

Much as I sympathise with you, I am not sure how much of a case you will have given that the dealer has agreed to repaire the vehicle, provide a courtey car, and made a good will gesture
I think you're heading for solicitor territory here, whether it's that of finance company (if there is an interest in the car), insurance company or your friend's own.

They should be sending recorded delivery letters to the dealer principal, the chief executive/managing director of the dealer's parent company, RMIF,and Honda UK - after all, their reputation is at risk here as well as that of the dealer.

If your friend is of a mind to, try a motoring mag like What Car?, or the motoring/personal finance section of papers like Mail, Telegraph etc.

This whole episode is thoroughly shabby, but I've seen so many consumer businesses try this tack. There is a legal solution, but it really shouldn't come to this.

Bending a customer's car, lying about it, then refusing to co-operate. What an advert for the trade...

Print off this thread and send it to Honda's press office. I dare say they've heard of HJ!
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - CheapNcheerfull
Hmmm,

Friend of mine once left his Golf GTI for service at his local VW dealer, whilst at work he looked out of his window and thought 'I'm sure thats my car parked outside'. So he decided to check if it was and hey presto it was.
Upon questioning the young guy in the passenger seat (mechanic) where the driver of the car was, the young passengers reply was 'What is it to you' he soon changed wiped the smile of off his face when my friend told him that the car he was in was his. The young passenger then explained that they were on a test drive, when my friend asked where the driver was, he was told in there (passenger pointing to shop next to where they where parked.

Nothing wrong with that you may ask..........................

It is when you leave your car at a main dealer and a mechanic is seen buying parts from the local motor factors ?????
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - mick1999
Have you considered that the fact that the dealer won't let you see the car is because it is not there but as stated earlier may already at a local bodyshop being repaired, he may be hoping if you see your car repaired and looking 'perfect' you may give up and go away. why not the boys in blue involved by saying you think the dealer has eeffectively 'stolen' your car and that you need to get some personal item from it, if they come to the dealership it might force them to admit if the car is not there or let you see it. As also said earlier this one incident wounld not cause the dealership to lose it's franchise, but, you do not know how many other complaints Honda may have already received, this may just br the last straw, so yes write to them stating how you have been treated, you never know.

Any news on this? Love to find out how it pans out.

K
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - Gordon17
A few years ago almost exactly the same thing happened to my uncle at a Volvo dealer. The dealer actually delivered a courtesy car in an attempt to conceal the "minor damage" which they would repair. My uncle went to the dealership to get some things he needed from the car and found that the entire front end was very badly damaged. He told the dealer principal very clearly that he did not want the car back and wanted a replacement car of the same spec, age and approxiamate mileage. They eventually reached a deal where he took a slightly newer, higher spec car and paid the difference in value.
I suggest your friend demands the same. If she belongs to any of the motoring organisations (AA, RAC, etc) she should be able to obtain free legal advice.
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - SjB {P}
Ooops.
Feel like dropping your Lotus off for a valet?

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4484212.stm (cut and paste)
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - Altea Ego
"The car was being spruced up for a buyer, but the sale had now fallen through, he said."

oooo I wonder why
--
RF - Da DAA. < changes in phone box > Its TOURVAN man
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - Bill Payer
"A 30-year-old man has been reported for dangerous driving, and investigations are taking place into an alleged offence of unlawful vehicle taking.

The owner of the Master Valet firm declined to comment about the accident."

So guess what the next thing to happen is? I'll wager they're not insured to drive customer's vehicles and the firm is put into administration.

Update - the dealer has dropped all charges for the service (£540) and will replace the new tyres and brakes fitted as part of this service and the car is being fixed.
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - BobbyG
What's your colleague's thoughts on that?
She had taken legal advice and like has been said on here the garage are only responsible for repairing the car. Free service was a goodwill gesture which she has accepted.
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - Hugo {P}
I would advise her to get the repair checked independently. Probably by another Honda dealer or automotive engineer.

Your colleague needs to know that the car is as it was when she left it with the dealer for that service. I've seen a few short cuts taken when dealers have profit margins to consider, especially as I suspect that they would have had to repair this at their own cost and not via insurance.

She would also be well advised to get a written statement as to what was the damage was and what repairs were carried out. She can then check this out with another specialist.

Hugo
Well, who'd have thought it, eh? ;-)

Neil
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - Blue {P}
The worst thing I've ever seen done was when the Honda garage that I worked at repaired a damaged part-exchange (also a Typre-R) that had taken a knock to the rear, the bumper did a fair job of concealing a bent impact bar across the back, instead of fixing the bar they just put a new bumper on...

Blue
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - rich65
This sounds absolutely appalling. I have heard so many nightmare stories concerning main dealers that I have personally used independent workshops for the last 10 years or so.

Unfortunately the law always seems pretty useless when applied to the car trade. If you seek legal advice the only winner is the solicitor who usually charges you several hundred quid to tell you that you dont have a leg to stand on!

Personally I would bring in the local press - while some members of the local press are likely to be reluctant to slag of a main dealer as they rely on them for advertising revenue I am sure there must be a local paper (that has little or no car advertising) that would rate this story newsworthy enough for a front page article.

You could even send a friend down to the dealership posing as an intrepid reporter. A main dealer wouldnt risk his name a few grand. I think that a generous trade in and a very generous cost price new car should be on offer. The dealer should take the hit in the value of the used car, not the blameless owner! Besides, its unlikely the dealer will point out the car has previously been in a smash when selling it on so he wont lose out anyway!

The facts of the matter are the car was taken in at considerable cost to maintain its full Honda history, not to have its value reduced by several thousand! Accidents happen of course but the very fact it has been covered up surely shows a sense of guilt - frankly it would be against all odds that a genuine accident occured in a very brief sensibly driven test run of 5 miles or so! I have driven many 200,000 or so miles without an accident.

This seems a disturbingly frequent occurance, as a Lotus was written off this week. If you have the time, I'd agree with the guy who said he would accompany the mechanic and the car when it is in the dealer's hands.
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - BladeRunner
People need to realise main dealers are nothing special just because they have a brand name, flash looking showroom, and that they have managed to convince a car maker they are fit to sell / repair / advertise their brand name, doesn't make them many tiers above the many independents. Most main dealers don't do body repairs anyway, but simply contract it out to the small independent paint shops on industrial estates. Of course you'd be charged main dealer prices even if they don't do it themselves.

If it were me I'd not be interested in anything they offered now due to the deceit, lies and arrogance the dealer had shown in the beginning. I'd be approaching Honda direct about this.

Sending Honda a factually worded account of exactly what has happened, including your disgust at being treated this way, but in a polite & forceful way, including a printout of this thread would be my next move. Regardless of anything else I'd never want that car back, or to use that dealership again, and that may make owning a Honda inconvenient from now on.

You could even send a friend down to the dealership posing
as an intrepid reporter. A main dealer wouldnt risk his name
a few grand. I think that a generous trade in and
a very generous cost price new car should be on offer.
The dealer should take the hit in the value of the
used car, not the blameless owner!

I wish I could remember the exact figures but I can't, what I can remember is that getting a Honda at cost price would mean a discount of well below 10%, not really all that fantastic.

If I rember rightly wer had about £700 profit to play with on a brand new Type-R sale...

Blue
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - mike hannon
Sorry to see that in Saturday's Telegraph HJ is dismissive of what could be yet another case of someone's cherished high performance car being blatted around the countryside for fun by a fitter.
Apparently, you're known in the trade as a 'screamer' if you complain when they've had a bit of unauthorised fun with the sort of motor they don't own themselves for whatever reason - and can't even be bothered to return it clean.
Surely it isn't unfair to expect one's personal property to be treated with respect by the people being paid to care for it?
Hi Blue,

Under 10% in a new Honda - but does that include the manufacturer rebate for hitting a certain volume?
Probably not to be honest mate, but seeing as there's no guarantee that you will hit any given volume until you've actually hit it (and even sometimes it's still not certain after you;ve hit it due to cancellations) I don't think it's fair to take manufacturer bonuses into account.

Bottom line is, as far as dealer is concerned, one new unit has less than 10% in it, from what I remember when I bought my Fiesta, it had about 7% of list price in it, the only times that this can be made bigger is if the manufacturer have a specific promotion on that gives extra incentive to the dealer, or indeed if the customer is taking finance. If the customer take the finance AND the dealer is in a very generous mood, they can use the finance commission to reduce the cost of the car further (I've done it once, maybe twice)

I'm quite drunk at the moment so will probably read this again soon tocheck that I haven't posted total twoddle! :-)

Blue
Apparently it is.
Another 'Caring Sharing' Honda dealer - just a bloke
It's always interesting to see how the "trade" view the other members of their trade.
Of course this closing ranks thing is not knew.. doctors do it, Lawyers do it. In fact everyone does it.

HJ may deny this but I doubt he'd have been so dismissive if it had been his car treated that way.

It's fair enough not wanting to chase around after the guy who had written in but the rest of it, that's just "closing of ranks"