What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Driven last night - Pete
One of the better shows i thought but WHATS the point of a drag race between three cars , too many factors determine the winner, just a couple
1/ the driver
2/ a poor start
3/the milage (ie run in)
I thought the test of passing the fixed speed lorry much more informative of a cars performance?Why do motoring programmes seam to think we what to see flat out driving round race tracks?
Surly a more practical test would be how good a car is crawling in traffic or cruising a 80 on the motorway?
Re: Driven last night - Andy
Quite agree. I was going to rush onto the forum straight after the programme suggesting that they should have at least changed drivers to compare results. The reason I didn't is that I have in the past questioned Driven's attitude to MG cars, and I didn't want to appear obsessive....
As for that silly, airheaded bint who pronounced on the cars' 'coolness', funkiness and sexiness, words fail me.
Re: Driven last night - Andy Bairsto
They are not in the real world are they
Re: Driven last night - ian (cape town)
Another appeal-to-the-lowest-common-denominator type show?
Re: Driven last night - Big Vern
I remember they once did a test with mini MPV's fully loaded with water filled dummys (no not the presenters) and simulated comming around a blind corner to find an obstruction. It was scary to see how badly things like the Kangoo thing handeled. Really made the point that just cause it has enough room to carry a big load, does not mean that its a good idea!

Can't say I watch it enough to like it or loath it but congratulations on an effective demo.
Re: Driven last night - ladas are slow
at least its better than 'top gear' (personally i think a blank screen would be better than top gear)
Re: Driven last night - Darcy Kitchin
If they were going to take any cars to the track, surely they should have taken the Puma and the Fiat Coupe.

And lets hope we don't see any more pseudo-experts on style being carefully "led" by the presenters.

I don't think the estate cars were even in the same price bracket, making comparisons meaningless. Of the 3 I would go for the MG, were I in the market. (How's the MBA, Guy Lacey?)
Re: Driven last night - Phil
It was bad - yes.

I too considered the price differential to be silly. That A4 must be nudging 30 grand - I am sure the MG is much cheaper.

Anyway - I am off to my upper medium estate car drag race club now - oh the fun we have burning our clutches!
Phil wrote:

> Anyway - I am off to my upper medium estate car drag race
> club now

So you drive around in volvo and citroen station wagons while wearing women's clothing?
This I have to see ...

(BTW, don't the high heels make it hard to reach the pedals?)
Re: Driven last night - Honest John
Don't agree with andy about the star stylist. She had good points, well made, from her point of view. I don't rate the looks of the Lexus SportCross, but she explained exactly why it was her choice rather well. And, much as MG/Rover fans will hate her, she was dead right about that. The fact is, sexy cars sell and keep their value. Unsexy cars don't do either.

HJ
Re: Driven last night - Moosh
And I bet all the female viewers will note her comments and buy accordingly.
Re: Driven last night - Phil
-----------------------------------------------------------------
So you drive around in volvo and citroen station wagons while wearing women's clothing?
This I have to see ...

(BTW, don't the high heels make it hard to reach the pedals?)
------------------------------------------------------------------

Lol - took me a while to figure out what you were going on about! But I think it says a lot - when I think of the word 'drag' I think 1/4 miles and hot rods, you think cross-dressing! :)
Re: Driven last night - Mark (Brazil)
don't worry about Ian, he's still busy with his new Abba club membership.
Why is it that as soon as cross-dressing gets mentioned, mark (brazil) perks up?
Re: Driven last night - Flat in Fifth
"Why is it that as soon as cross-dressing gets mentioned, mark (brazil) perks up?"

Don't know about the cross dressing thing but I reckon he's still a bit peeved that HJ did not agree to making his next car a Freelander on the basis that Mark still can't quite make his mind up about them and is gagging for a second opinion.

Mind you I might have got the wrong end of that particular stick........

Re: Driven last night - Mark (Brazil)
FIF,

I would only take a Freelander if I could buy it with Shell Airmiles. I don't suppose you know anything about those do you ?

Mark.
Re: Driven last night - Honest John
But, Ladslo, that's what the BPC has given Top Gear: a blank screen. The BPC is now so politically correct it doesn't waste precious compulsory licensepayer's money on any motoring programmes. In answer to Flatin5th, I don't need a Freelander for this purpose. I'll just watch what happens to my neighbour's Y reg KV6.

HJ
Mark, I asked for that!

Reckon you might get one for the equivelant price of a Manchester > Heathrow shuttle, plus a bacon butty on home made bread to get it delivered with a full tank of gas.

;-)

S
oops spelling I meant equivalent, not going to mention the E word.
Re: Driven last night - Guy Lacey
To see the bloke I had a lot of respect for flooring a 2.5l V6 front wheel drive car like that in a pathetic attempt to get away was very, very disappointing. What was he playing at? Deliberate ploy to make the MG look cr*p. Try flooring a Integra-R or a Clio 16V - they all just sit there spinning.

I suppose when MG-R goes bust due to lack of support and objective tests by the media then at least they can produce a 1-hour special on "The Woes of the British Car Industry - MG Special" - just think of that?!
Re: Driven last night - Lee H
Guy,

Only caught the end of the program, so didn't see this bit, but was (I assume) Racing Jason demonstrating the lack of traction control on the MG - I'd assume the Audi & Lexus both have it.

Cheers,
Lee.
Re: Driven last night - BigAl
'Driven' is just as sad as 'Top Gear' became - you learn nothing. Let's get some interest back into the programmes - make them 50% motorbikes!
Re: Driven last night - Guy Lacey
Lee,

It was Mike Brewer who just sat in 1st gear and floored the MG and didn't change gear or anything for about 3 seconds - grinning like a Cheshire cat.

If Penny or Plato had been driving it then I'm sure they would have done a better job of it.

One word. Pathetic.

Guy