What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi 2.6 Quattro headlight - Mike Wolstencroft
Can it really be true that a replacement gas filled sealed headlight unit costs an eye watering £800 odd plus VAT?
Re: Audi 2.6 Quattro headlight - Tony
If its an Audi what do you expect.Affordable prices?
Re: Audi 2.6 Quattro headlight - El Dingo (Martin)
Aaargh!

I have recently heard (from the parts guy at my local Audi dealer) that a TT sealed unit with gas discharge bulb is £800, and I'm gobsmacked.

Is yours an (early version) A4? (I guess it must be an A4 or A6 on a N, P or R plate?) If so, my A4 2.6 fwd has a non-sealed unit where the glass can be replaced at a cost of £17ish plus VAT. I don't know how much the rest of the headlamp unit costs, but you might consider changing over to a non-sealed unit if that is possible?

Martin.
Re: Audi 2.6 Quattro headlight - T lucas
Please tell me how can they justify those prices?
Re: Audi 2.6 Quattro headlight - alvin booth
When comparing the virtues or otherwise of cars by either TV programmes or other pundits these are the points which should be highlighted.
If some kind friendly expert had reccomended one of these cars with a headlight replacement at £800.00 he shouldn't expect a Christmas card next year if one of them had needed replacement.
Perhaps a list of common replacement parts should be a must in HJs and others reports.
Alvin
Re: Audi 2.6 Quattro headlight - Alwyn
Parkers used car chooser guide gives a small list of parts prices - though not heaadlights - Any one tried Europarts?

The justification is, they know that without the parts you have a pile of scrap.

A bit like selling you a cheap printer and then charging you £25 for an ink cartridge.
Re: Audi 2.6 Quattro headlight - Honest John
Good point. But to provide this sort of research requires staff, which I don't have and probably won't ever have because negative publicity such as this does not and cannot generate any revenue.

HJ
Re: Audi 2.6 Quattro headlight - Charles
HJ

The Average Street Price Guide produced by abic Publications has the parts info already researched. My checks have found it to be accurate.

Charles
Re: Audi 2.6 Quattro headlight - Honest John
Print Carts for a Mac Laserwriter are £70.

HJ
Printer ink/toner costs - Randolph Lee
but those Mac(or HP or Cannon or Etc) laserwriter toner carts will print 3000 to 6000 pages dependending on how dense the text is on the ave. page... Inkjet Carts will do very well to print you 500 to 1000 pages of normal text
~R
Re: Audi 2.6 Quattro headlight - Pete
You have i believe the Xenon or similar lighting system the latest technology, when i bought my Audi i steered clear of these expensive extras (about £800 at the time)Knowing expense was waiting come repairs
Re: Audi 2.6 Quattro headlight - Mike Wolstencroft
Many thanks to all respondents - it's only by disseminating 'uncomfortable negative facts' such as these that somebody out there gets a chance to think twice before being seduced by some ecstactic motor noter's plaudits written after a freebie weekend in Sardinia... ( HJ excepted, of course).
Re: Audi 2.6 Quattro headlight - Brian
If you buy ten or so headlights, does the rest of the car get chucked in for free?