What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
KAR 120C - MM
This number is from Number Six's car in "The Prisoner".

Does it exist?

MM
Re: KAR 120C - Piers
Yes, it's owned by Graham Nearn of Caterham Cars.

He appeared in one episode, polishing the car outside the Prisoners house and delivering the keys.

Piers
How do you know if a number plate is free? - Kev
How do you know if a number plate is free? [Better repeat. in case it dont all show]
Ive looked on the DVLA website, and some re. plate sellers websites, but there appears to be no check as to a plate being in circulation.
Is there a way I can find out?
Thanks, Kev
Re: How do you know if a number plate is free? - Neil
One site that has some details is: new-reg.co.uk.

However, notice that the numbers available through such sites (in my wife's case, ** CTR) are invariably double those from the DVLA's normal routes.

We paid 500 pound for her plate through the DVLA yet it was listed at new-reg (although they hadn't bought the right to use it) for 1000 on to which they would kindly add VAT and you would be liable for the 80 transfer fee.
Looking through the auction prices I should add that number plates are never free!
Re: How do you know if a number plate is free? - Kev
I meant free to be bought, not free free! I wish there were free, but I know they cost at least £250.
Anyway thanks, ill have a look.
Kev
I didn't want to make the cheap pun too obvious. . .

I clearly didn't add that new-reg have a search facility to say where and when a particular registration was issued. For example

KAR 120C is listed as:

The original office for this letter combination is Hertfordshire C.C.

This registration was first made available in 1965.

However, their database isn't complete. Our last four cars don't appear in the listings and they'd collectively done 170000miles in the last 6 years.

So, sorry, I did know what you meant. I meant to reply about the availability question. And then I meant to make a cheap joke about the cost of a plate.
Re: How do you know if a number plate is free? - Kev
Hmm, thanks!!

Im devistated, you've ruined my evening!! The number plate im hunting is 'SPE5H', and its never been done, and probably never will be! :'-(. Its soo unfair, when I get a car, must lobby for it to be released.
But thanks for the site,

Kev
Re: How do you know if a number plate is free? - ladas are slow
if the dvla let the number PEN1S be registered, then i dont see whats wrong with SPE5H.
I shouldn't be too concerned with what appears on the New-reg website. As I mentioned above, I've had a few numbers which, according to New-reg, have never been issued but I've been driving since around 1995.

The next port of call should be to contact DVLA via their vehicles home page. It may be that the plate could be released at an auction - one type is reasonable, the other can be very expensive.