What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Champ cars (Indy car) future - Steve G
I know from previous posts there are some Champ cars fans in this forum.I would be interested to know what you think of Penske pulling out and Honda leaving at the end of this year.
It's amazing how they just let Honda go.After playing such a big part in the championship you would of thought CART could have been more flexible in changing the regulations. Very big loss to this series.
Of course the biggest loss is Penske pulling out to go to IRL. Imagine F1 without Ferrari or Mclaren. Would be nice to know the real reason why Penske pulled out.
This coming season will be a test for CART. Having dropped probably the best circuit (Michigan 500) from the calender i wonder if more street courses will only provide "follow the leader" type races which F1 already provides.
Will more teams defect to IRL ? my hunch is they will :(
All this just when we get our own oval at Rockingham ! unbelievable.
Re: Champ cars (Indy car) future - Steve G
Have i been sent to coventry ?
Re: Champ cars (Indy car) future - Mark (Brazil)
They have Indy Car in Coventry ????
Re: Champ cars (Indy car) future - Adam Going
Steve,

Why have Penske gone to IRL ? One word reply - Marlboro ! The sponsor pulls the strings, and the opportunity to win the Indy 500 (still THE biggest thing in motorsport in the States) with livery on the cars is just too much for them to ignore. Penske have showed they can do it (but last year had to run without livery as the US advertising laws only allow them to run a tobaco sponsor in one series), and, lets face it, they must start favourites to take the titles for the year as well.

What amazes me more is that Penske's defection from Mercedes engines caused so little comment, given his involvement with Ilmor (an investment since divested, I think).

YANA, Adam
Re: Champ cars (Indy car) future - Randolph Lee
No Steve,
but I for one have lost interest in motor sport... As it now exists anyway

I want it to be of 2 types
to get me interested again:

1. Showroom stock where the cars have to have come at random from the forecourts of the dealers and perhaps 2000 of that exact model/spec available for sale... they then must be raced 'as is' no extra safety cage no removal of the spare tyre to make them lighter etc etc... and they must be run as a 'claiming race' the races should be on public roads (closed for the event just as for a rally) pot holes and slick paint areas and all And the should be long distance 12 or 24 hours long... classes for all kinds of cars... as 24 hour race with class foe 'smart' cars... that would be fun to watch and a real proving ground for prospective buyers

2 "proper F-1 racing where the rules say that the race car must not be any longer than X or wider than Y and EVERYTHING else goes... no other rules if the cars can go "to fast for the track" then let it be up to the skill of the driver to not go faster than the track safety permits.... now I realize that this may cause a return to the days of the 50s and 60s when a few drivers lost their lives each year... for a while anyway... but how big a risk will some one take when he is making 1,000,000+ a year?
~R
Re: Champ cars (Indy car) future - Mark (Brazil)
Sorry Randolph, but....

>when a few drivers lost their lives each year... for a while anyway

Better than losing them permanently ?
Re: Champ cars (Indy car) future - Steve G
Adam i understand your logic - Marlboro pulling the strings , but surely champs cars are a better overall place to be for advertising ?- world coverage for every race. Also the red/white colours at Indy are familiar to anyone as being Marlboro.F1 cars run in many races without actual text on the cars just the colours/logo's.
Mercedes leaving when they did was not surprising -poor results , but its a big shame they left.
I share your thoughts Randolph ,motor racing has become a dull sport - just the opposite of what it should be. Champs cars is really the only top flight racing series which i follow. It provides some exciting races -you cannot predict who will win any race ,yes any of the 20+ runners could win.
Looking forward to 10 March......