What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Hi-Lux, anyone? - THe Growler
I wonder if anyone out there has a view on this? HJ gives it a mention but suggests it's only specially imported into UK, maybe that's changed.

www.toyota.com.ph/showroom/hilux/index.html

This truck reminded me of the Ford F150 I had, and I've been looking at it for some weeks now. Test drive Monday I hope.

Comes out at roughly £13,600 OTR for 4X4 turbo diesel 3 liter with M/T. 4X2 with 2.5 liters is a lot cheaper at £9,900 , but hell, what's the use of 4X2 to anybody? ;+). Locally assembled in Philippines. Will probably go up in January as does everything here but I'd like to get an '06 reg-o on it and could perhaps reserve one now for delivery then.

Only spec fault I could find was no leather but I know the Swiss guy who manages all the leatherwork here for BMW and Merc in the Philippines so I think that could be fixed.

Also looked at:

Mitsubishi L200 Strada - dated now, probably due for facelift. I had one of the box shaped ones and reckoned it was the best 4WD I've ever driven (we do a good bit of volcano and jungle-bashing over here).
Nissan Frontier - ditto re looks.
Isuzu - terrible rattly engine but very gutsy. Horrible color schemes. Er...puke yellow anyone?
Ford Trekker - very ordinary basic workhorse, much cheaper but well, ordinary.
Fords F-150/350 etc -- now out of reach pricewise since gov't slapped a luxury tax on them 2 years ago.

All and any thoughts welcome if you've been up close and personal with the HiLux.

Toyota Hi-Lux, anyone? - blue_haddock
As HJ mentioned tinyurl.com/7lkyw there are people currently importing the new generation of hilux's into the UK but Toyota are getting tough with them.

We are due to get the new model here in the UK but it won't be until they have got shot of all the current model Hilux.
Toyota Hi-Lux, anyone? - THe Growler
Ya, I saw, but I just wondered if someone from our extensively-knowledged poster base (!) had had any experience. It's a great looking truck and I can see myself on the slippery slope to ownership already...
Toyota Hi-Lux, anyone? - $till $kint
You will hate the new L200 that's due out in the next couple of months. Pics here:

www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/spyshots-2005/M/mits...l
Toyota Hi-Lux, anyone? - Altea Ego
HAte? you wot? that looks the bees knees to me.
Toyota Hi-Lux, anyone? - No FM2R
I drove one in Santiago about a month ago. I didn't get any oportunity to take it off-road so I can't comment about whether or not its as good as its predecessor.

On road it was about as smooth and as comfortable as a 4-Runner. Actually, that's pretty much what it did feel like all over. (For the UK people the outside-UK 4-Runner is not like the Hi-Lux conversion we get in the UK, its actually more like a slightly smaller Landcruiser).

I realy liked the looks to begin with, but after a while I wasn't so sure about the big "slab-like" front end. Reminded me of the Discovery 3 somehow.

Anyway, not much of an experience, but what I tried I liked.
Toyota Hi-Lux, anyone? - A9er
I?ve driven client owned examples of both the new and previous Hilux in Samoa, interestingly the new version was on sale in a South Pacific backwater before some major markets. The new version is much nicer on road both in handling and comfort. Although off road experience is limited to rough tracks, company being careful with an expensive new acquisition, it appears as capable as the old version.
Toyota Hi-Lux, anyone? - Gromit {P}
Hilux is a very popular working pick-up here in Ireland, especially on farms.

A mate's brother-in-law has the current model, but the chassis rusted quite early on. Don't think he or his garage ever figured out why.