What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
where your tax money goes - sam
have a laugh at

www.essexsafetycameras.co.uk/

and send in your feedback to

rosemary.welch@essexcc.gov.uk

cc the press dtletters@telegraph.co.uk etc

what a waste of public funds
Re: where your tax money goes - Alwyn
Sam.

I could not reach the Essex safety cameras site. Bad Gateway message. How is it with you?
Re: where your tax money goes - crazed idiot
she believes her own nonsense...

From: "Rosemary Welch Traf&SafeMan ES" | Block Address | Add to Address Book

To:???

Subject: RE: your website

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:40:55 -0000

The Association of British drivers is not representative of the residents of Essex. I am aware of their view point and the statistics that they chose to use. Whilst I fully agree with their point that we should endeavour to improve the standard of all driver's and driving behaviour I do not agree with their fundamental principle that the driver should be permitted to 'chose their own speed' .

Any new speed limits are introduced at the very vociferous request of local residents, we have a policy relating to the introduction of new limits which tries to ensure that they are realistic and understandable to the driver. (We may not get this right in all instances but where we have concerns we will not ask the police to enforce ) . As with any law, to be valid it should be enforced - otherwise why have speed limits? They are there not just for the safety of the driver and their passengers but also for other road users many of which are much more vulnerable than the car occupants.

If the ABD were to continue to lobby for other aspects of safety and improvement of the standards of driving in this country, or offer their services to bring up the standards of others I might have more respect for their views.

The letter that you print is a very old one - I am not impressed whether if it is from a police officer or anyone else.

In Essex I am quite happy that we are not detecting those who simply slip above the speed limit but rather those who are totally ignoring it. The high level traffic violator is shown to be more likely to be involved in accidents. The percentage of people caught on cameras are actually minute compared to the number of people who pass them on a daily basis and find no problem staying within an acceptable limit. I am not in the minority with my view but I do believe that the ABD are . They will continue no doubt, to gain support from a few.. But I am satisfied that we operate with a high degree of public support from those people who would rather protect the safety and quality of life of their families than worry themselves into a frenzy about being restricted in their speed when driving through urban areas in this county.

Final point I am astounded by the argument that ABD drivers , who claim to have 'above average' driving skills feel that they will have to be watching their speedometer all the time. I count myself to be an average driver although I have had some advanced training - I can and have always been able to make a decent assessment of my speed from the gear I am in and the noise of the engine. I barely need to look at my speedometer.

Rosemary Welch
Re: where your tax money goes - THe Growler
Re last para; what does she drive: a Ferguson tractor?
yep it would be interesting to follow her around for a while with a calibrated speedo and a video camera
Re: where your tax money goes - David W
I thought she was going well up to the last paragraph.

I wouldn't like to have the speedo covered and say for certain if I was doing 35 or 45.

David
Re: where your tax money goes - Brian W
I've had a look at this now. The whole emphasis is on speed, nothing to say about safer driving.
It appears that they are happy for accidents to continue, so long as no-one is killed.
Re: where your tax money goes - Brian W
I fired off a response last night, suggesting that factors other than speed may be involved.
It should be interesting to see if I get a reply and just how open-minded they are.
hope you cc the press

dtletters@telegraph.co.uk

etc
Re: where your tax money goes - Brian
Got home tonight to find a mail rejection message: their link does not work.
One way to stifle adverse comment, I suppose!