What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - midlifecrisis
I had the misfortune to hit a badger the other night and broke my o/s front fog lamp on my O4 Vectra Sri. I've rang just about every breakers yard in the back of auto-trader and nobody has one. It would seem that Vectra drivers are very careful people!!!!
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - Xileno {P}
Have you tried the main dealer, Vauxhall parts can be very competitive.
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - barchettaman
There´s one for 12 quid on ebay.
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - Altea Ego
There´s one for 12 quid on ebay.

The dead badger?
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - Dynamic Dave
You're lucky if that's all you broke. IIRC, the power steering reservior sits directly behind the o/s front bumper.
The one on e-bay is for an Elite (square). I need a round one for the Sri. I'm aware of the damage a badger can cause, just managed to swerve and put my wheel over it's head (sorry to all animal lovers). It rolled under the car, broke the fog lamp and caused a small split in the bumper.
A main dealer one is £52.00+vat. Still a bit pricey when it's for an unexpected repair.
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - Stuartli
It's probably because Jeremy C put virtually everyone off driving a Vectra.....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - Galaxy
Do you have to report the fact to the police if you run over a badger, as you do if you, for example, run over a dog?

Badgers are a protected species!

I don't know the answer myself, I'm just wondering.
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - nick
I don't think so. No-one owns them. The requirement to report a dog is a hang-over from dog licences. There was no requirement to report a cat.
There is no requirement. But I know and I'm 'in the job'.
There is no requirement. But I know and I'm 'in the job'.

MLC is correct (not that I doubted it)

When I ran over someone's dog, the owner argued that I didn't need to goto the police. I found this link that proved otherwise.

www.thamesvalley.police.uk/faq/default.asp?Action=...6

That aside MLC, try contacting Autovaux ( www.autovaux.co.uk ) to see if they stock them. Genuine Vaux parts, but cheaper than buying through a main dealer. Phone them rather than email as they tend not to reply very quickly.

Also, have you tried Dixons (No not that one)

www.dixonsvauxhallspares.co.uk/
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - Dalglish
When I ran over someone's dog, the owner argued that I didn't
need to goto the police. I found this link that proved
otherwise.

>>

dd - do you mean :
"the owner argued that I did need to goto the police. I found this link that proved otherwise. "

dd - do you mean :

No!

They were annoyed that I involved the police and said that it wasn't necessary to have done so. I proved them wrong.
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - Dalglish
dd -

thanks
i was confused by the fact that it was the owner insisting you didn't need to report - when normally it would be the other way round !
i have now seen the bit in your link which specifies dogs:

Animals involved in collision that do require reporting to the police include horses, cattle, asses, mules, sheep, pigs, goats and dogs.

Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - patently
There was no requirement to report a cat.

Two possoble reasons:

(i) No-one can own a cat. They own us. Haven't you seen the way they look at you?

(ii) Each one removed is a public service

[only joking!]
Thanks DD. Already tried Dixons, but I've e-mailed the other. I'll wait with baited breath.
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - David Horn
That's why the only animal I go for on the roads are rabbits. You usually have to swerve a number of times before you hit them, though, and the last time I did it with my mother in the passenger seat I got clouted around the back of the head.
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - Steptoe
wait with baited breath.

Badger-baited breath?? o:)
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - Vansboy
The local radio station were telling us yesterday, that some authority or other, wanted to destroy badgers, 'cos they have TB & pass it onto cattle.

As for the light unit - they have good Vauxhall breakers in Downham Market Norfolk. 01366 324318 Carquip.

VB
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - Sofa Spud
There are loads of dead badgers beside main roads in my area (Somerset / Wiltshire).

I have only ever seen one live badger wander into the road - that was at dusk on a country lane and I was on my pushbike! It stopped, looked at me and turned round and went back into the hedge.

What I wonder when I see all these dead badgers is whether some of them are thrown out of pick-ups by yobbos who've been indulging in a bit of illegal badger baiting. A perfect way of destroying the evidence?

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - Sofa Spud
I don't agree with deliberately killing rabbits but I'm not totally against crashing Vectras as long as nobody gets hurt.
The new 'Malcolm Rifkind' facelift of the Vectra looks like its been involved in a low speed shunt even in showroom condition!

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - Phil I
> There are loads of dead badgers beside main roads in my area (Somerset / Wiltshire)

Yes the one on the Frome bypass has been there for about a week now. I make it about 7 so far this year on the stretch from Frome to Trowbridge. You may be right but I think its probably more likely that they are accustomed to crossing the road at various points and just do not have the nous to alter their suicidal habit.

Happy Badger Dodging Phil I
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - ihpj
...broke my o/s front fog lamp on my O4 Vectra

MLC - I guess you've checked with the Force Workshops to see if they could help out? Can't recall which Force you're in but I'd be surprised if they didn't have Vectras (or Vauxhalls for that matter) as part of their fleet. Working for TVP now I know that we and BEDS Vectras as Traffic (sorry, meant Roads Policing) vehicles. I'm sure the Workshop Manager would be able to oblige in a pinch.

If anything, you might get a trade discount etc. if you ordered through them. Stay safe man.

-----
Im not plain stupid, just a special kind of stoopid.
One of my units Vectras was crashed last week. Only one fog was broken....guess which one. It's against the rules to order one through workshops, apparently it means we're all terribly corrupt.
Thanks for all the replies..looks like it's a new one from the dealers.
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - Vansboy
Ok - so you don't want to get one through work - in case someone has 'funny' ideas - but I'll bet the dealer offers you a seperate discount for your employment status - ASK!!

VB
Doesn't anybody crash Vectras? - Altea Ego
Well to answer the original question "Doesent anybody crash vectras?"

Only police drivers it seems!
Reporting accidents involving animals - lezebre
Dynamic Dave, hope you don't mind me offering my three ha'porth, but I think you were misled by the sketchy details on the Thames Valley site. My belief is that the reason for needing to inform
the police for the listed animals, is so that they can contact the owner. If you have the owner present and are willing to supply your details to them, whether or not they want them, then my opinion is that you do not have any need to involve the police in this case.
Reporting accidents involving animals - Sofa Spud
>>Yes the one on the Frome bypass has been there for about a week now. I make it about 7 so far this year on the stretch from Frome to Trowbridge.

Several badger corpses at prsent between Frome and Bath - mostly in gutter, some not mangled.
Reporting accidents involving animals - Dynamic Dave
Dynamic Dave,
then my opinion is that you do not have any need to involve the police in this case.

The dog owner was being difficult (it was discussed in a previous IHAQ thread) so I wanted to be equally as difficult.
Reporting accidents involving animals - NARU
Father ran over a dog in Glasgow - one of many which seemed to be running wild. Reported it to the police, who took the details then said "Well done sir - can you go out and hit another one!"