What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan Almera 1.5 SE W Reg 23,848 Miles - The Whiteknight
I had an expensive experience yesterday had my car in for full service and mot and it failed on the o/s/r brake caliper had seized not due to corrosion . The garage i used advised it was down to a component failure inside ! They were quite amazed as they seem to think a part like this should have lasted a lot longer . It's quite ironic as they offered one of two options for replacement to replace with genuine nissan caliper at £186 not even in stock ( According to the dealer they never have to replace them which I find very hard to believe , which is why not stock item ) Or a non genuine one a brand called Blueprint at cost of £130 (two year warranty) Which one do you think I choose ? . I just wonder if nissan being part of renault is affecting nissan's longstanding reliablity what do you think ?
Nissan Almera 1.5 SE W Reg 23,848 Miles - Altea Ego
Nissan had no renault involvement 5 years ago.

The failure is probably due to 23,000 miles over 5 years.

Thats 4,600 miles a year. Not a lot. I do hope you warm your engine up and give it a really good blow out from time to time as its going to get really gummed up.
Nissan Almera 1.5 SE W Reg 23,848 Miles - MW
Even £130 for a single caliper seems expensive. Has the brake fluid ever been changed in 5 years. If not, that might be your problem. Fluid=hydroscopic=water=corrosion.
Nissan Almera 1.5 SE W Reg 23,848 Miles - Aprilia
Like about half the world's cars, these use a Collette-style rear caliper with the handbrake mechanism built in. If not used regularly then they are quite prone to siezing, especially if the car is left for days with the handbrake on. It is really beneficial to lubricate the pad edges with copper grease and ensure that the slide pins are kept lubricated with HMPG.

Personally I would spend a bit of time trying to free it off (a bit of ** gentle ** heat, rotating the piston etc.). Rebuild kits are available and would save you money if you can DIY - otherwise go for a Blueprint rebuilt unit.
Nissan Almera 1.5 SE W Reg 23,848 Miles - The Whiteknight
Thanks Aprillia I think your comments definatley hit the nail on head as always ! I do use the car every day but do short journey's to and from work so probably not doing car much good anyway. I will keep eye the area's you mentioned ie keeping them lubricated. Surprising the dealers not keeping them in stock if they as prone to seizing as you say . Still the blueprint rebuild unit has worked out well !
They are prone to siezing on all brands of car if not used regularly and if car is left outside. Many vehicles have exactly the same caliper design as the Almera. Nissan dealers keep few less frequently used parts in stock - but I have always found their supply system very good and they can usually get the part next day - I'm very surprised they quoted longer than this.
PS - you also have to remember that the back brakes do very little work, and if you brake gently they they aren't getting much use. Often the pads last for ages and the discs start to corrode. Occasional high speed heavy braking will keep them free and keep the discs shiny.