What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
value of mitshibishi - tracey
can anyone tell me how much I can expect (trade in value) for Mitshibishi Colt 1300 1988 series, good condition but done 97,000 miles! just want to know so I can haggle if necessary
Re: value of mitshibishi - Phil
Not a lot. If you were to sell it privately expect about £300 - but this all depends on how much tax and MOT there is on it. If none then almost nothing.

Trade ins are a different story though - depends where you want to take it.
Re: value of mitshibishi - David W
If this car is genuine it will be worth more as a private sale to someone you know.

F-reg is very old to most folks now. I'm offered such cars quite frequently for nothing if they only have short tax/MOT. This is because the folks know if they fail to sell and the MOT expires they have to pay a breaker to take them.

The trade-in bids you get on this will reflect the amount of profit in the car you are buying not its real value.

Not many traders are selling on 1988 cars and if they sent it to auction it might go for £25.

If MOTd for 6mths plus I'd say its value is between £50 and £200.

Looking at a Shogun for a few grand? You'd be better to use this Colt as a runabout to look for one privately then put it in the paper for £75 for a quick sale.

Others may not agree.

David
Re: value of mitshibishi - Honest John
I agree with David. He offers very sound advice.

HJ
Re: value of mitshibishi - David Lacey
Yep, I agree too!

Just don't expect much for the Mitsi....
Re: value of mitshibishi - ladas are slow
can you tell me a bit about the car please tracey, as i might be interested, (what sort of history, any rust, anything major done recently, is it automatic or manual, 3 or 5 door, and what sort of price)

i am always looking for something to replace the lada riva.
Re: value of mitshibishi - Mark (Brazil)
don't bother Tracey.
why not, as i am sick of driving a car like this, a mobile joke, (what do you call a lada at the top of a hill - a miracle)
Lada palaver - Phil P
Why have you still got it Chris? I thought everyone had sold theirs to the nice russian men at hull docks some years ago?
Re: Lada palaver - ladas are slow
because the russian ruble collapsed, the russians cant afford to buy ladas.
Re: value of mitshibishi - Ronnie Courtney
Mark

Don't be mean to Salads are Slow - it was *you* who talked him out of the Titmobile after all, so why shouldn't he have a new ambition?

Ronnie
In defence of L.A.S - Kev
Hasn't everybody got long memories? He does talk some rubbish, but please dont keep putting the boot in everytime.

This should be everyones new year resolution.

And remember, if we dint have him to laugh at, who would we pick instead? Someones gotta be at the bottom of the pile......... ;-)

Cheer up Chris, and buy this Mitshi, at least its got some street cred.

Kev, feeling rather sorry for 'Young' Chris
Re: value of mitshibishi - tracey
The car hasn't any rust, has had a yearly service since 1988 without fail,2 years ago had new exhaust and radiator, its a nice looking car, still very fast , infact after reading the replys to my 4 x 4 running costs question I might reconsider and hang on to it a bit longer. With damp and cold weather its needed wd40 a few times to get in going, I guess I'm just being hasty and deciding prematurely to get a new car to avoid further problems but it just a weather thing at the moment. I know its only value is probably about #300 for someone who wants a roundaround, it might be more value for me to hang onto it a bit longer whilst I figure out wheather I can afford a Mitshibishi Pajero (but not a stolen one - a bit worrying eh) Ive got two small dogs so I fancied a bit of a jeepy thing... thanks for the enquiry but I might take my time

Tracey
jeep cherokees are VERY cheap, but only think about the diesel, as the petrol is a 4.0 litre, and costs ALOT to run, the best looking one is a grand cherokee, but that is still expensive to buy.

a jeep cherokee (1993 L) FJSH, and about 60000 miles can be bought for £4000-£5000.
Re: value of mitshibishi - james
Don't use WD40 to help start cars in damp weather. The reason it works is because it is about 30% phosphoric acid. pH about 3.0 i.e really acidic. This allows current to flow and the car starts.

But it will corrode all your copper into that green gungey stuff. This will make starting even harder, so you will have to use WD40 more often, which will corrode the copper faster which will mean more WD40..............

Try damp start or similar otherwise your car will fail to start oneday at you will have to pay a man to take it away.