What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Airbags for motorbikes - Dynamic Dave
No, it's not April the 1st!!

Honda have succeeded in developing the world?s first production motorcycle airbag system.

Full story here:-

world.honda.com/news/2005/2050908.html
Airbags for motorbikes - martint123
Dainese made an airbag jacket some years ago

www.motobykz.co.uk/D-Air/D_Air.htm
Airbags for motorbikes - Thommo
I remember leg 'protectors'. Absolutely lethal as it turned out.

Good boots, gloves, helmet and suit plus wear your back protector (yes even when its hot) and the only thing you've got left to worry about is White Van Man.
Airbags for motorbikes - THe Growler
Why don't they just stick another couple of wheels and a roof on it and call it a car?
Airbags for motorbikes - cockle {P}
Suppose it had to come.
They've been using air fences at all the top speedway meetings now for some time and I've seen quite a few crashes where riders have ended up just a little shaken rather than taking a ride to hospital in one of those white trucks with flashing lights on the roof.
Airbags for motorbikes - J Bonington Jagworth
So the airbag goes off and keeps you on the bike, which then falls over and crushes your leg. Wonderful.
Airbags for motorbikes - No FM2R
I'm not sure I understand the objection. Surely if a car pulls out in front of you and you're going to hit it, then anything which helps, or at least doesn't hinder, is a good thing ?

Or is there a downside that I'm not seeing ?
I'm sure there are circumstances where a big cushion would be a good thing, but there must be as many where it prevents you from being thrown clear. I'm not at all opposed to safety developments, but I am wary of their unthinking adoption by legislators, not to mention the law of unintended consequences.

Airbags in cars are largely the result of Americans' apparent reluctance to use seatbelts, but that extra feeling of security they promote simply makes some drivers less careful...
Airbags for motorbikes - Armitage Shanks {p}
Whatever next? Windbags for politicians perhaps and two for 2 Jags!
Airbags for motorbikes - Stuartli
My father was a very keen and able motorcyclist from before the war until around the 1960s.

On at least three occasions over a number of years I recall that he dropped his machine on its side to avoid hitting vehicles (on one occasion it was a cyclist) that had unexpectedly gone straight across his path.

It saved his life every time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Airbags for motorbikes - Blue {P}
I don't think this thing is designed to keep you on the bike, just to absorb some of the momentum so that you don't get flung onto the road with quite as much force. Bear in mind that it will deflate as the rider hits it in the same way that a car airbag is deflated within a split second of it depolying.

Blue
"he dropped his machine on its side to avoid hitting vehicles"

I've done that too (once!) but by the time I hit the deck, I'd parted company from the bike. Not a premeditated process, I grant you, but I'd rather skate down the road on my own, I think.

I'll accept that an airbag might be an asset on a machine like a Gold Wing, where there's something for it to inflate against, but on most bikes I think it would be of limited use. I just worry that it's the sort of thing legislators might seize upon...
Airbags for motorbikes - Robin Reliant
Having seen my neighbours Alfa sitting on the drive with the electric fuel filler flap opening and shutting all by itself, I definately would not touch an Italian bike with an airbag.

Probably go off when you used the indicators.
Airbags for motorbikes - Star
How about an ejector seat and parachute.