What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Bearing Buddy`s - billy25
Good afternoon folks!

i`ve just put some of these bearing buddies on our boat trailer, as they say they keep water and grit out of the hubs when the wheels are submerged during launching/retrieving activities.

apparently the idea is that once fitted you pressureise the hub by pumping them full of grease, however i can only get a couple of squirts in before the rear bearing seal bursts out and all the grease pours/squirts out, thereby rendering the things useless. the spring loaded grease resovoir on the bearing buddy dosen`t even start to move during filling.
anybody any ideas on what i`m doing wrong?.

thanks Billy.
Bearing Buddy`s - Doyle
May I suggest that the seals are past their best and need changing, which possibly means a bearing change, as the seals are often integral to the bearing (can be cheaper and easier to change the complete hub ). I know plenty of people that have Bearing Buddies, none of them have mentioned problems with them.

Doyle
Bearing Buddy`s - billy25
thankyou doyle,
the bearings are actually brand-new, but the seal on the rear taper bearing seems to be made of a neoprene/plastic type of material, and is either not man enough for the job, or maybe i`m possibly getting more than enough pressure in with just a couple of squirts of the grease gun. i shall try again, with maybe a large washer behind the bearing to help re-inforce the seal!.

thanks billy.
Bearing Buddy`s - martint123
A grease gun can provide tremendous pressure. I've seen one used to push bearings out of propshaft joints (afte the clips are removed!).