What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2001 Bonnet Catch not holding bonnet down properly - Wally Zebon
After topping up the washer bottle, I discovered that I can't close the bonnet properly. I can slam it down real hard, but it just won't catch fully.
It does catch enough to hold it down, but not down fully. I've tried spraying WD40 over it, but to no avail. Any tips?

{made use of drop down menus. Year found via a forum search}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/01/2009 at 12:39

Mk3 Mondeo Bonnet Catch - Dynamic Dave
Anything left lying along the bonnet slam panel or wing edges, such as the cap off the washer bottle?
Mk3 Mondeo Bonnet Catch - Wally Zebon
Nothing at all. I've just been and double checked.

This happened the last time I topped up the washer bottle, but it shut after 2 or 3 attempts. I forgot about it till now.

Mk3 Mondeo Bonnet Catch - Rover25
Seems that your catch might be seized, this can be freed off by liberal application of WD40 or penetrating oil and wiggling the moving parts around with a screwdriver or similair. once freed off give it a good greasing to keep it that way.
Also check that your release handle has returned to the locked position and that the cable runs freely, it could be stuck in the 'open' position thus not allowing the catch to 'lock'.
Seems that your catch might be seized, this can be freed
off by liberal application of WD40 or penetrating oil and wiggling
the moving parts around with a screwdriver or similair. once freed
off give it a good greasing to keep it that way.
Also check that your release handle has returned to the locked
position and that the cable runs freely, it could be stuck
in the 'open' position thus not allowing the catch to 'lock'.

The catch seems to be operating correctly. Its as though its slipped downwards and the metal piece on the bonnet doesn't go into it far enough.
On a Mk 3 Mondeo there is no release cable. You swivel the Ford badge on the front grill and insert your key. Half turn anti-clockwise releases the lock and a half turn clockwise releases the catch to open it fully. I can see the mechanism working OK and using a screwdriver I can relock the mechanism, but the bonnet still doesn't close properly.
Mk3 Mondeo Bonnet Catch - Adam {P}
On mine, unless you drop it from the open position, it only catches in position 2 if that makes sense.

You can slam it or sit on it and it still won't fully catch. The only sure fire method is letting it close by it's own weight.
--
Adam
Mk3 Mondeo Bonnet Catch - Galaxy
Dropping it from being open is, so I believe, the recommended way of closing the bonnet. It's the way the MOT tester who I go to always does it, and I think this is pretty general.

Our secretary's Subaru Impretza has a small dent in the front of the (aluminium) bonnet where her husband tried to "carefully" close it on the day he collected the car by trying to "push" it shut. Dropping it down wouldn't have caused this to happen.
Mk3 Mondeo Bonnet Catch - elekie&a/c doctor
Try closing the bonnet with the front grille removed.If it is not fitted centrally over the release mechanism it can foul the latch.
I've tried dropping it from about 2 feet as well as slamming it from a bit higher. Neither worked. I've tried pushing it down and sitting on it as well, but neither worked.

I'll try removing the grill again tonight. I managed to get it half off last night. Removing 2 screw type things on top make it very loose, but how does the bottom edge free itself?
Mk3 Mondeo Bonnet Catch - sierraman
Adjusting the catch may help.At the top of the spring on the bonnet is a locknut.Loosen this and then lengthen the spring using a screwdriver in the slot at the end of the bit that goes into the catch on the slam panel.Tighten the locknut and try the catch.
Mk3 Mondeo Bonnet Catch - Mike_51
Hi - Did you ever get a satisfactory solution to this problem? I am experiencing the same ie the bonnet won't catch onto the lower catch and consequently it bounces up and down on the first (upper) catch. All parts seem to be moving as they are well greased
Mk3 Mondeo Bonnet Catch - Fullchat
You need to ensure that the bonnet release mechanism and cable are free allowing it to return to the fully closed position otherwise it will not lock on the bonnet catch. In other words it will give the impression that you are actually partially pulling on the release mechanism.
Mk3 Mondeo Bonnet Catch - GingerTom
I assume you are not leaving the key in the lock when you are doing this?

If you are then you can cause damage. The key should be turned to unlock then lift the bonnet slightly, turn the key the opposite way slightly then remove the key. The bonnet should always be closed with the key removed.
Mk3 Mondeo Bonnet Catch - Mike_51
Thanks - No I am removing the key - but I can't garantee that's always been the case - maybe the damage is already done! When turning the key to the left, it used to automatically lock the vehicle doors - it no longer does this. I'm not sure if this is an electrical or mechanical problem.