What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Accidents by Polulation by Country 1999 - Mark (Brazil)
www.bast.de/htdocs/fachthemen/irtad//english/we2.h...l
Re: Accidents by Polulation by Country 1999 - peter
Interpreting this is going to keep the statisticians quiet for a little while!
You can jump to conclusions about car density and ownership age distributions, age profiles etc' but thereappear tobe some apparently fascinating anomalies.

Then you work out that the portuguese kill all the young people so how come there are so many old people left to kill? But on second thoughts expressing kill rate per 100k pop should be replaced by kill rate per 100k within an age band would be more appropriate.

Why do USA apparently kill injure so many? fully enveloping airbags and driving at walking pace!

I have driven in Poland Hungary and Cz and certainly felt significantly less safe than in Austria or Belgium or France. Or do they only kill pedestrians?

I reckon somebody could make a doctorate out of this!

I suppose the M25 is very safe because kill rates in car parks must be low.
Re: Accidents by Polulation by Country 1999 - Alwyn
Peter ,

When the State of Montana removed speed limits, accidents fell, so it can 't be driving at walking pace that saves crunches.

Ever been to Portugal? It seems the loudest noise I heard in Lagos, Algarve was the constant squeal of tyres as drivers made point to pedestrians who dared step on a crossing.

Don't hire a car in Portugal. We were told they are the worst drivers in Europe.
Re: Accidents by Polulation by Country 1999 - peter
I am still trying to get my head round the inj to kill ratios?

Does this reflect on the state of hospital services, or just the distance to the nearest trauma unit? We all know about the golden hour (I think it is called), but unfortunately the figures for Australia are missing.

PS I knew about Portugal already and will continue to avoid at all cost!
Mark,

I bet you did not expect a response from me. Well done and how did you find it?

May I draw the conclusion that UK roads are pretty safe?

Safer than houses it seems, as 4025 folks were killed in their own home in a year that road deaths were 3423.

Bon chance
Re: Accidents by Polulation by Country 1999 - Mark (Brazil)

> I bet you did not expect a response from me. Well done and
> how did you find it?
>
> May I draw the conclusion that UK roads are pretty safe?

Actually, your second line is exactly why I thought you might find it interesting.

As to how this links get drawn to my attention - ah, now that *would* be telling.
Re: Accidents by Polulation by Country 1999 - Lekas
According to the HighWay Code, UK roads are NOT safe. On the back cover of mine it states that "you have a 1 in 200 chance of being killed in a road accident." It is not clear who is meant by "you" but I presume it covers "all road users". I understand that the figure for France is twice as bad - must be all that tailgating.
Safer than houses!
>On the back cover of mine it states that "you have a 1 in 200 chance of being killed in a road accident." <

What does that mean, exactly? Does it mean that 1 in 200 folks die in a road accident? Or, if you do have an accident, there is a 1 in 200 chance you will be killed. You have to be in the accident first to be killed.

Something wrong with the figures there. In a year when there were 3423 deaths, there were 320,000 acccidents. So it is nearer 1 in 93.

But look how many die in other accidents. Very worrying but not to those in power as they are rarely mentioned.
Re: Accidents by Polulation by Country 1999 - Simon Butterworth
I would guess the first.

You have, across your lifetime, a 1 in 1 chance of experiencing death.

Just one in 200 will meet the grim reaper in a motor accident.
Re: Accidents by Polulation by Country 1999 - pugugly
Not visited the site yet.I Need time to absorb data these days....How do the stats stack up against LHD and RHD, tradtionally the view was that driving on the left was safer than driving on the right (something to do with the natural state of the brain assimilation and response to risk).
p.s. Alwyn - I assume you noted the UK's figures for Motorway Driving as opposed to the other countries ?

And the difference in the UK between Motorway and other roads. This should be gristle to the mill of high speed versus inappropriate speed.
if you *really* want to pursue this then you will love this one...

www.unece.org/trans/roadsafe/rsras.htm
I can see how different methods of counting produces very different "first glance" results.

Sweden and Norway seem to have fallen behind since 1997......or do they?
Re: Accidents by Polulation by Country 1999 - alvin booth
Once again its the old business of statistics and lies.
The programme on Tv a couple of years ago showing Portugal as the most dangerous country in Europe has been used time and again to emphasise this.
I drive down to Portugal most years and can honestly say that I can detect no difference when crossing over the border from Spain.
The programme did mention that a lot of the accidents are caused by tourists picking up their hire car at Faro airport and driving a little to fast for themselves. Personally I believe that the British drive more aggressively than the majority of countries. Anyone agree with me???
Alvin
Re: Accidents by Polulation by Country 1999 - Tomo
Let's be positive. You have a 100% chance of becoming dead, and a 99.5% chance of that event being other than in a road accident, which is practically the same thing!
But sounds much better. Thanks