1998 Renault Megane hot start problem - Colin S
S reg 1.6 petrol Megane (obstinate pig model)
1.has started first 'go' from new.
2.june 05. Under 2 miles after usual instant start, 50mph on flat, engine cut; no 'flipping' the pedal refired it and it coasted to a stop.
3.engine readily turned over, but no sign of firing. Went for a walk and a curse. Came back (15minutes?) and it started first time.
4.This performance has never been repeated, BUT
5.About once in twenty starts, always when hot or warm, will not fire at all. Go away and come back a bit later and off it goes first touch.

I had got used to this and regarded it as a spoiled child, but I have now passed the car on to my son and find myself worrying about it.

Any tips on what to suggest to the local renault whizz kids would be very gratefully received.

cheers Colin S

{subject header amended to make less vague. DD}
1998 Renault Megane hot start problem - Mike H
Could be crank position sensor, relatively simple to fit (1 connector plus one screw usually). I'm using experience on other cars to diagnose this, and I assume that the Megane will have a CPS fitted.
1998 Renault Megane hot start problem - bazza
Ditto, was going to suggest the same. Had similar trouble a few years back and this was the culprit. Easy DIY job, located r/h side of engine, down on clutch cover. But try taking it off and cleaning the electrical contacts first, the engine has a habit of dripping oil from the cam cover onto it.
Baz
1998 Renault Megane hot start problem - Colin S
Mike H and Bazza- very many thanks for your suggestions. I will get son to act on these. Your unanimity is very encouraging.
Once again, thanks
Colin S
1998 Renault Megane hot start problem - smokie
Same symptoms on my Omega fixed with new crankshaft sensor. Go for it!