What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
DURA SHINE tm - Carl 2
does any one know any thing about this product as it appears to be the most amazing polish I have ever seen. I am apprehensive about using it because its claims really seem to good to be true.
Re: DURA SHINE tm - ian (cape town)
Ah, just as I thought!
I did a web search on it, and it's the stuff they used to sell here, via TV marketing.
"The Best Car Polishing System Used By Professionals! Forms A Protective Barrier Against the Damaging Elements Restores & Renews Interior And Exterior Surfaces With Special Conditioning Ingredients Enhances Your Car's Natural Shine" ... (By the way, NEVER trust anybody who puts a capital letter on every word.)
Basically it is another of those automotive snake oils, sold to gullible types with nothing better to do than watch the shopping channels.
A friend bought the kit, used it as directed, and ended up with no noticeable difference to using a good quality brand. Also, the promised shine and protective qualities faded much more rapidly...
He sent the "unused portion back withing 14 days to claim a full refund."
Three guesses what happened ...
Ask yourself the question: If it is so good, why don't they sell it in shops, as opposed to via the airwaves?
More on Dura stuff - ian (cape town)
This crud is advertised as "From the makers of Dura Lube."
And who are the makers of DuraLube?
Read this, and find out! ... From the US Federal Trade commision website.

In the latest law enforcement initiative targeting ads that use deceptive performance claims to tout motor oil additives, the Federal Trade Commission has charged the marketers of Dura Lube Super Engine Treatment and Dura Lube Advanced Engine Treatment with making false and unsubstantiated advertising claims, in violation of federal law. Herman S. Howard, Scott Howard and six corporations they control that manufacture and market Dura Lube face administrative trial.

Dura Lube is one of the largest engine treatment companies in the country and the fifth to be charged by the FTC with making false or unsubstantiated claims. The FTC has previously halted allegedly deceptive ads for Valvoline Engine Treatment, Slick 50 Engine Treatment and STP Engine Treatment. Motor Up Corporation, which was sued by the FTC on April 14, 1999, is awaiting administrative trial on charges that its ads were unsubstantiated.

The FTC alleges that packaging, labeling, print ads and infomercials for Dura Lube claim that compared to motor oil alone, or motor oil treated with any other product, using Dura Lube:

reduces engine wear by more than 50percent;
prolongs engine life and reduces emissions;
reduces the risk of serious engine damage when oil pressure is lost; and
improves gas mileage by up to 35 percent.
The FTC alleges Dura Lube did not have a reasonable basis to substantiate these claims.

The FTC also alleges that the advertising represents that tests establish that compared to motor oil alone, using Dura Lube:

reduces engine wear by more than 50 percent and prolongs engine life;
improves gas mileage by up to 35 percent and reduces emissions;
reduces the risk of serious engine damage when oil pressure is lost; and
one treatment continues to protect the engine for up to 50,000 miles.
However, tests do not prove that Dura Lube provides these benefits and therefore the representation that tests prove that consumers will realize these benefits is false and misleading. In addition, Dura Lube ads claimed that its product does not contain chlorinated compounds and that it has been tested by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. According to the FTC, these claims are false because Dura Lube contains chlorinated paraffin, a chlorinated compound, and Dura Lube has not been tested by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

The Dura Lube infomercials featured a demonstration of an automobile engine running after the oil treated with Dura Lube had been drained out to prove Dura Lube reduces the risk of serious engine damage when oil pressure is lost. Another demonstration showed the response of untreated oil to heat compared to the response of oil with Dura Lube to prove that without Dura Lube, motor oil fails to protect automobile engines under hot running conditions. In fact, the FTC alleges, the demonstrations don't prove the claims made.

Finally, infomercial and print ads with a former NASA astronaut represent that he has expertise in the evaluation and testing of automobile engine lubrication and endorses Dura Lube on the basis of an independent, objective and valid evaluation or generally accepted tests. In fact, the FTC alleges, the former astronaut does not have expertise in evaluation and testing of auto engine lubrication and hasn't endorsed Dura Lube based on an independent, objective or valid evaluation or testing.

In addition to Herman Howard and Scott Howard, of Stamford, Connecticut, the FTC complaint names Stamford-based Dura Lube Corporation, which coordinates all of Dura Lube's business; Howe Laboratories, Inc., distributor of Dura Lube; The Media Group and National Communications Corporation, which provide advertising services. Also named are American Direct Marketing, Inc., based in Nashville, Tennessee, which directs marketing for the product and Crescent Manufacturing, Inc., headquartered in Eden, New York, which manufactures and packages Dura Lube.

The Commission vote to file the complaint was 4-0.

In an administrative trial, the FTC will seek to bar unsubstantiated performance claims about Dura Lube or any other product used in a motor vehicle. It will also seek to prohibit misrepresentations about tests or studies; deceptive demonstrations; misleading endorsements; and misrepresentations about whether a product contains a chlorinated compound or has been tested by EPA or meets the standards of any standard-setting organization.

Re: More on Dura stuff - Paul
Well, I'll be binning the Autoglym then.
Re: More on Dura stuff - ian (cape town)
Doesn't Brenda use AutoGlym on the Rollers? (sorry Tomo...)
Re polish. - Mal
I use nothing else but Autoglym "extra gloss protection" , it is almost a liquid and is very good and without the harsh abrasives found in many other brands,it is also very easy to apply and remove.
Re: Re polish. - Mal
Ammendment, should have read "clear" liquid
Re: More on Dura stuff - THe Growler
Something called Muralube which is tested suspiciously similarly to the way you describe Duralube is sold on our shopping channel in the Philippines. Hellish expensive too, even for here.

Motor-Up, Gear Up etc are all sold openly, over the TV and in hardware supermarkets' auto sections.

Maybe it's like tobacco. When WEstern countries clamped down on its promotion and sale, the manufacturers simply shifted their efforts to LDC's.
LDC's? Yep, that's us!
Channels and more channels of dubious quality goods. The great God TV must be right, so they flock down to the shop to buy crappy knife sets, fancy abdominal flexing machines, pills which allow you to lose weight even when eating 50 hamburgers a day, universal tools which replace your entire toolbox, bath oils which make you look ten years younger, CD collections of one million original hits of the seventies (all appaling cover versions, featuring at least ONE of the original artists) etc etc etc.
Amazingly, despite the above US ruling, a quick search finds plenty of US internet shopping sites still flogging duralube...
Re: More on Dura stuff - THe Growler
We have an amazing Taiwan one, badly dubbed in English, that sells stuff like breast enhancing cream (gain 3" in 7 days, women only) showing before and after pix with odiously grinning husbands. Goodness knows how many poor little not-very-well-equipped Asian shopgirls have spent their hard-earned cash on this jollop only to find nothing happened (wipes tear from rheumy eye).

...er...got off the motoring tack a bit there.
Re: More on Dura stuff - Carl 2
Thank you for your informative replies. I dont think I shall be using this product.
Wise man, Carl!
BTW, if you have already placed an order, just rub some on your girlfriend's knockers. You never know ....
Re: More on Dura stuff - David W
Years ago there was a guy posting here as "ladas are cool", I'm sure he rated this stuff highly and had a cheap supply.

If you want I'll get you his e-mail address, he might live near you and let you try some.

David
Re: More on Dura stuff - Guy Lacey
Does this count as "Blatant Advertising" ?!?!?!?

I suspect Mr 2 could be a salesman for Dura Shine tm.

Bit like Ronald McDonald posting - "Hey, I've heard about a place you can get mighty fine burgers from only 99p and they're apple pies are great. I think it's called McDonalds - anyone heard of them?"

Come on Mr 2 - own up!
Re: More on Dura stuff - colin
I think the autoglym range is still the best, even if it costs a few pence more.