What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - revmaster84

Hi,

I just purchased a focus 1.8 zetec and am looking to modify its performance, does anyone have any suggestions as to mods i can do, where to purchase them or fit them?

Any help much appreciated.
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - y2k+4
Try asking around the FFOC. www.ffoc.co.uk
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Sprice
Non turbocharged cars have less scope for modding than ones with a turbo (where you can increase boost pressure etc)

You could try an improved exhaust system, such as a mongoose, iridium plugs, pipercross/K&N air filter (dubious increase in power, but a nicer noise!)

A performance chip (such as superchip) can add approx. 10 bhp also.
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - MichaelR
Would it not really have been better to start with a 2.0? You'll now have to spend time, money and effort just getting it to the same performance level as the 2.0.
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Xileno {P}
And also with any modification, you must tell your insurance.
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Adam {P}
Get over to ffoc as y2k+9873/3 = 9 says.

There's a performance section which should give you a few ideas.
--
Adam
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - AngryJonny
According to Ed, the mechanic on Wheeler Dealers, the easiest and most effective way to get a kick in performance on a normally aspirated car (aside from any chipping options that may be available) is to fit one of those performance air filters. It may even add enough bhp for you to actually notice it... unlikely though.
Was thinking of boring it out to 2.0L and adding a turbo plus intercooler. But do not know where I can get this done or how much. Was thinking of spending no more than £1000 for this!
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Xileno {P}
Well optimism is a prized virtue.
Realism usually wins the day though.

Your budget is way too small if this work is to be done properly and I would say it's inadvisable and pointless. Better to spend your money getting a faster Focus, as has already been mentioned.
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Truckosaurus
The best way to spend your money is to:

1) Get a decent 'sports' exhaust, not stupidly loud though. It will make the car seem faster when in reality it's no quicker.

2) Get some proper (eg. Eibach) springs and dampers, again not some silly Boy Racer Tat that just lower the car.

3) Get some decent tyres. In standard Mondeo sizes even Premium rubber is affordable. Again don't waste money going for pointless cosmetic upgrade like ultra low-profile wheels/tyres.

4) When your brakes next need changing, buy decent pads such as Ferrodo DS2500.
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Blue {P}
I think the best mod you could make would be to sell the car and buy a 2.0.

There's no point boring it out, the car will ever be the same as a proper 2.0, will more than likely suffer problems because of it and will be next to worthless as no one is going to want it after you.

Seriously, if you put that £1,000 towards a replacement car I reckon you'll be a lot happier with the result.

2.0 Zetec and Ghia models came with better equipment to begin with anyway...

Blue
Maybe that would be the best course of action for you, because don't forget you have to declare any modifications to your insurer and most insurers will charge modified cars a much greater premium.

Unless you have your heart absolutely set on more performance, I'd just take a holiday mate ;-)
I'll be perfectly honest, I agree in principle of getting the 2.0 over the 1.8 if you wanted power but I don't think it's anywhere near worth the hassle of selling your car and looking for a 2.0 which you like.

Put it this way. I have a 1.8 Focus. It's very very likely my next car would be a Focus. Having driven the 2.0 too and certainly noticing more grunt, I wouldn't let the fact the next prospective car being a 1.8 put me off getting it.
--
Adam
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Big Bad Dave
"When your brakes next need changing, buy decent pads such as Ferrodo DS2500"

Don?t know much about science but I do know that if you want to go faster, don?t waste your money on brakes.
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - blue_haddock
Don?t know much about science but I do know that if
you want to go faster, don?t waste your money on brakes.

He may not go any quicker in a straight line with better brakes but point to point he will be quicker as they will allow him to brake very hard very late and keep at maximum speed for for as long as possible
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Big Bad Dave
"He may not go any quicker in a straight line with better brakes but point to point he will be quicker as they will allow him to brake very hard very late and keep at maximum speed for for as long as possible"

Yeah I get that but he?s only got a grand to spend hasn?t he?
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - frazerjp
I'll be perfectly honest, I agree in principle of getting the
2.0 over the 1.8 if you wanted power but I don't
think it's anywhere near worth the hassle of selling your car
and looking for a 2.0 which you like.
Put it this way. I have a 1.8 Focus. It's very
very likely my next car would be a Focus. Having driven
the 2.0 too and certainly noticing more grunt, I wouldn't let
the fact the next prospective car being a 1.8 put me
off getting it.
--
Adam

I can remember reading 'BMW magazine' once & a reader put a letter in explaining that he'd just brought a 325i & he plans to put an M3 lump hes just salvaged & asked for some advice on what to do next?? Unfortunately the mupet didnt realise it would be cheaper to buy an M3, as puttin in another engine would be too much hassle fitting the damn thing in the first place, not to mention the insurance complications!!!!!!!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - David Horn
Put it this way. I have a 1.8 Focus.
--
Adam

And you're telling me someone would willingly attempt to acheive less than, say, three miles to the gallon?
Apparently so!
--
Adam
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - reevsie
sell the focus buy a leon sport, chip it and have 200bhp.
Well to be honest was kind of hoping to keep the 1.8. My budget can go up considerably was just looking at what the costs would be. Insurance is no problem. Was thinking of putting an ST manifold on it first. Turbo or supercharger?

Why will boring it out give me problems?

Well if you've got the £££...why not just get an ST170?
Well I got given the car so would rather put the money into it!
Ah, makes sense now lol. well as I said at the start, the ffoc is probably the best plce to discuss modding.
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - adverse camber
so why start the question thus :
'I just purchased a focus 1.8 zetec'

Anyway - what does it matter how it was obtained, the best value performance improvement involves changing the car, not tweaking it.

Is this a real thread ?

Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - cheddar
Boring out a 1.8 is ridiculous, better to get a 2.0 motor and fit it though much, much, much, muuuuuuuuuuucccch better still - sell it and get a 2.0. The 2.0's have rear disc brakes, brakes are v-important if you plan to tune the car, and (contrary to one reply above) do make it faster A to B. Also many 2.0's have traction control and other tweaks over the 1.8.
So you were given the car, could you not trade it is with perhaps a grand of you money for a nice 2.0 Focus? By the way the Focus is a great drivers car irrespective of engine.
Maybe he wants something more unique...which I guess I can accept as the owner of a Focus and accustomed to seeing them regularly...

A bit like most Saxo owners like something unique...
A bit like most Saxo owners like something unique...

Yes, good idea, sell the 1.8, get a 1.4, ideally white put 20" chrome plated alloys on it so that the tyres rub the arches, black film on the windows, 1000 watt bass unit in the boot, exhaust tail pipe by Taylor Woodrow etc etc.
Lol. Or maybe it would be rude to sell a car you were given.
I was thinking it would be a bit rude to sell it, at least for a couple of years anyway. Until then thought it would be my little project to get into the whole modding thing.

I can believe brakes make A - B faster, as my car is faster than my mates MG ZR+, but as he has ABS I have to slow down much sooner.

How much would a rear disc conversion cost?

I am looking for the fastest focus ever, just making the one i have much gruntier, off the line and at the top end.

I must say if i put my foot down in first or second when its wet, all i get is wheel spin!!!! Impressive compared to my last car. Peugeot 306 1.9L TD.
Meant to say, NOT looking for the fastest focus ever!!
A grand will not get you much - a decent cat back exhaust will cost around £300, a decent exhaust £75, another £250 for an ECU re-map, decent discs and pads £200 and a half decent suspension kit will be approx £300.

Already you have spent over a grand and have not done anything major although the combination of bits will make the car quicker point to point.

If your looking to turbo the car you will need to spend another £5k to have anything anywhere near reliable and worthwhile as you will need serious internal work to handle the required compression ratio. It may well work out cheaper to have a Cosworth engine dropped into the front of yours.
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Dynamic Dave
Meant to say, NOT looking for the fastest focus ever!!

Oh, that's alright then. I was going to suggest maybe posting in the Max Power forum instead ;o)
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Number_Cruncher
I agree that before considering modifications to make your car faster, making sure the brakes are tip top is a priority.

Changing to rear disc brakes will give you a negligible performance change. They are a bit of a gimmick - one of those fitments that are more for marketing than engineering! It is important to make sure that any modification to the rear brakes do not increase their propensity to lock up. Locking the rear brakes is a sure way to crash your car. Braking ratios for new cars are subject to legislation, with the manufacturer having to demonstrate that the rear brakes will not lock up under different rates of braking. Take great care if you are tempted to mess with the rear brakes.

Consider upgrading your front brakes to the same spec as an ST170 for example.

Like many others who have contributed to the thread, I think that the car is better left as standard. Consider spending your stash on advanced driving or skills improvement - you will transfer that modification to every car you ever own!

Number_Cruncher
If you're going to blow the cash, why not blow it on something different. A full leather interior for example or something like that.

I was considering a rear disc conversion but after N-C's comments, I think I'll leave it.
--
Adam
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Number_Cruncher
Hi Adam,

It's another of those automotive myths. People who don't really know about brakes say that discs are more powerful brakes than drums. This isn't quite true.

As the leading shoe touches on to the drum, it gets dragged in harder - this is called self servo action. The trailing shoe gets pushed off. But, when the drum heats up, the friction coefficient drops. This has two effects 1) the brake torque drops because of the lower friction 2) the self servo reduces because the friction reduces. So, as drum heat up, they lose brake force rapidly.

As a disc brake heats up, the brake force only reduces because of the reduction in friction - there was no self servo effect to begin with.

The performance difference between disc and drum brakes is in their stability with respect to changing operating temperature.

Now, rear brakes on front wheel drive cars (barring estates and vans) have a really easy time of it. There is little weight on the back axle, and the hydraulic pressure to the rear brakes has to be turned down, usually using pressure reducing valves of some sort.

There was a time when you needed to have rear disc brakes to be compatible with some types of ABS - the dynamics of each type of brake is completely different. That isn't the case now - the modern controllers can compensate for the difference.

I once upgraded the rear brakes of a rally car that I looked after. I didn't make the necessary changes to the valving. It was shortly after this when I learnt (in a near trouser soiling manner) how it is not a good idea to have the back brakes locking up during an emergency application of the brakes!

For a typical front wheel drive car, I would estimate that the front brakes provide over 80% of the stopping force. To isolate a squaling brake fault on a mkII Cavalier, I once isolated the front brakes and took the car out for a test drive - never again! It was lethal! Isolating the rear brakes made little difference to the behaviour of the car.

Number_Cruncher
N_C,

Thanks for that very detailed reply. I learnt a lot - also I learnt that I definitely am not putting rear discs on!

I'll leave all my brakes well alone from now on. I'm too scared!
--
Adam
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - adverse camber
The other dangerous one which seems beloved of some of the boy racers is to slap a great anti-roll bar on the back and not do anything to match the front.
Can't see me doing that antime soon either.
--
Adam
Hi Adam,

To put a further slant on the discs v drums point the main difference is that discs are not only ultimately more powerful (not usually an issue on the rear as NC says) they are also more progressive. In fact the amount of braking force that a disc brake gives is linear to the amount of force applied to the pedal (subject to temp induced variables), this is not the case with drums, hence rear discs can be designed to give nearer the optimum braking performance without being in danger of locking as well us ultimatley more braking power, hence the estate variants of some cars (where the amount of braking force required may vary greatly based on weight, or rather the front/rear weight distrubution varies greatly) have rear discs where the saloon/hatches do not.

Regards.
This is why I couldn't be an engineer!

Thanks Cheddar and N_C for the valuable assistance. It still sounds like too much hard work to do the conversion though ;-)

Thanks again,
--
Adam
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - henry k
I agree that before considering modifications to make your car faster,
I think that the car is better left as standard.
Consider spending your stash on advanced driving or skills improvement

>>- you will transfer that modification to every car you ever own!
>>
Spot on.

Just bank your money and give yourself a brain remap.
Believe that you have a very acceptable vehicle.
Maybe look for a higher spec /power version in the future.
Enjoy
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Ben {P}
Well lets get things straight. You have been given the focus and want to make it go faster. The truth is that if you want a noticeable improvement in power you will have to spend a LOT of money.

Air filter will make no noticeable difference, the car already has a huge air filter.

Most "performance" exhaust will also make no difference, some will make it slower, some will give a tiny bit more at the top end at the cost of loosing significant power further down the rev range.

Boring out , or getting a 2ltr zetec engine will not make much difference as the 2ltr engine and the 1.8 have the same head. The two litre engine makes a tiny bit more power at peak and a noticeable bit more down the rev range. But if you want to drive it fast low rpm power will be irrelevant.

What you can do is fit the st170 manifold- but this will open a can of worms. How will you sort out the fuelling? A fully mapable fuel system will cost you LOADS of money.

Also a decent ported head and cams will improve performance. But beware, lots of ported heads out there are rubbish. A good head and cams will cost you a grand.

Forget chips- its a compplete con. Loads of manufacturers just plagarise the factory maps and just increase the ingnition timing etc. The most you will get is an extra percent or two, and that will be at the risk of pinking if you get a bad tank of fuel or the car runs a bit hot.

After you have done all this, yyou will then need new dampers and springs which will cost £400 for the parts i would think, then some bigger brakes. New pads will make a small difference, you want bigger discs and new calipers, so add another £500.

All in all it will be a complete waste of time and money. Sell the car and get a Focus st170 or similar.
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - edisdead {P}
A 1.8 Ford Focus is a mode of transport, not a sports car waiting to be unleashed. £120~ish buys a professionally instructed track-day type experience. I would highly recommend a few laps in a single seater formula first. Fast and exhilarating.
Ed.
Another option Ed is to spend the £1000 on something like a 205 GTI or a Golf GTi and use that for a track day car. Both safer and more legal than driving fast on our crowded roads
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Altea Ego
I assume you are young. If you want to make your Focus unique, blow your 1000 quid on some really good ICE!
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Gazza
Sport Exhaust:

I doubt large diameter tail-pipe would have much performance effect as air-flow would be most restricted through the catalytic convertor (cat) and the silencer boxes. You cannot change cat for emission reasons. However, you can empty the existing silencer boxes for more direct air-flow. DIY and the cost for the improved performance is zero!

Brakes:

You certainly need better brakes before any performance increase. Without Electronic Brakes Distribution, converting rear brake drums to discs would not have a great effect as 80% of the braking is done by the front wheel. However, I can second on the Mintex heavy-duty/rally-use pads all round as they are much less likely to fade. My old Mondeo 1.8 used to fade after around 60 miles in a 100-mile, short, road-rally on standard Ford pads.

Suspension:

Check camber, caster and toe angles as these factors have impact on how the tyres perform. Use best tyres. Change bushes for better steering and suspension response.

Injection:

Use NOx. If you only use the increase performance about 0.1% of your total mileage, NOx is the cheapest way to improve performance.
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - madf
Before you spend any money, ask your insurance company what they think. If you do anything serious about making it go faster, then you may need the £1,000 for the increased premiums.

Insurers dislike modified cars. And you have bought one of the worst cars to modify : a near bottom of the range Focus. I can understand if it was a 2 litre Focus but a 1.8?

"I would not start from here..."

madf

Steady on. It's hardly a 1.4CL
--
Adam
Well thank you all for your contributions, after all that I think i'll uprate the front brakes and performance tyres and leave it there. Then in a year'ish i'll get an st170. I take it as you have all been talking about them sooo much there are alot of things that can be done to one of those?

Insurance on this car is only £500, not bad for a bottom of the range Focus i think with me being only 21!

Does anyone have problems with ford windscreen wipers, mine have a mind of their own and go on randomly!
Well there will be less you can do to tune the st170 engine as it is a tuned up version of the engine you have i beleive. I imagine if you wanted more power you would have to look at throttle bodies and a new mappable fuel/ignition system.
I would have an ST170 in a shot.....

if they did one with a boot. If you want a Ford, and you're considering tuning an ST170, don't bother. Get the RS. The amount of money you'd spend on the ST doing it up would far exceed the 16 grand it costs to buy a decent RS which, needless to say, is an awesome car.
--
Adam
I have been given the chance to have an ST170 engine put in my focus for under a grand, is this a good idea? Comes with 6 speed gear box etc!
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Ford Dagenham
Hello.

Good luck with trying to insure it.

If you do manage to insure it your pocket/bank/moneytree will be empty.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Will it not be like insuring an ST170?
I imagine it would be less (by how much I don't know) seeing as it's not an ST170.

Example - if I wanted to steal a Focus and I knew how to hotwire it, I'd take the ST170 over the Zetec with the ST170 engine.

Still imagine it would be pretty pricey though.
--
Adam
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - henry k
Will it not be like insuring an ST170?

>>
It will surely be more expensive in one way or another.

Probably ten per cent more as any online Insurers would not auto quote.

Probably many Insurers would not want to insure a non standard vehicle and would run a mile.

This leaves you far less choice of who will insure you.

Plus will you want to change the wheels/tyres for the extra power supplied so more insurance loading?
To be honest Henry, I don't think the wheels would make all that much difference. I know someone who has the ST170 alloys on his 2.0 ESP and *claims* it made a difference of either 50 quid or 70 quid. (Both figures are sticking in my head for some reason)
--
Adam
Well there are plenty of high performance insurers out there, and from the qoutes i have so far they are not that bad.
Found an excellent place for mods to be done as well, for anyone interested look at pumabuild.co.uk they specialise in fords. U can have a rear disc conversion done for about £500, or a new engine put in for about £3000, or a turbo. The list goes on!

Followed an RS the other day, i must admit it did look hot!
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Ford Dagenham
Hello.

Why do people have to modify there cars.

They create more pollution.

The government should make the tax for sportier models higher.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters

Because they want to - some people do it to make a car look better, others to it to make a car go better and some just to it to be individual

Not necessarily - my old 309 GTi used less fuel and had lower CO2 emmissions after i added a few light modifications to it then had it set up on a rolling road. It is older cars that are running badly that cause greater pollution
Hello.

Becuase they enjoy it. It gives them pleasure and for many, is a hobby like others play golf, build models, or go fishing.

Hardly noticeable, and who cares anyway?
The government should make the tax for sportier models
higher.

Only if accompanied by a 30% leisure tax on golfing equipment and camping gear.
(iam not a mechanic)

Yea, we can tell. Are you a troll?
No need for insults.
It's not an insult its a genuine question. Strikes me as a deliberate statement to get people riled.
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - smokie
If you are talking about "(iam not a mechanic)" I believe that is part of Martin's standard signature, probably included to clarify his status when posting in Technical.

Whatever, it isn't designed to rile, nor do I consider he is trolling, so that's the end of that diversion, thank you. We'll assume apologies all round, and manly shaking of hands!

smokie, BR moderator
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Hawesy1982
"It is older cars that are running badly that cause greater pollution"

Actually it is people who buy new cars frequently that create the most pollution, as the vast majority of a cars environmental impact comes from it's manufacturing stage. If we all drove cars until they literally fell apart then we'd be doing planet earth a favour.

....but thats an entirely different thread altogether.

Oh, and i believe that even a Focus RS can acheive 30mpg if driven lightly. Compared to a BMW X5 which can achieve considerably less. But again, different thread...
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Collos25
The original post has to be a wind up,boring out to 2.0 litre cucooland
Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Modification - Blue {P}
Oh, and i believe that even a Focus RS can acheive
30mpg if driven lightly.

You would have to driving at about 56 mph downhill I reckon but I suppose it could be done at an extreme push! I doubt even my gran would manage it though!

Blue
Is that just the labour cost?

Supply and fit, if done properly, will cost a lot more i expect.
Well thanks for your input Andy Bairsto cos that comment had something to do with the original post! I belive my question was what modifications would people recommend, not 'people please tell me iam being stupid'. Thank you kindly for your valuble input though!