What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Need Advice Regarding Car Writeoff - mymelody
Hi,
Just wondering anyone can give me some advice.
My car (honda civic) has been write-off (insurance already send me a cheque for the car) so at the moment, waiting for people come and take my car away. (not sure when yet)

But, just wondering, can i take anything out of the car? eg, my alloys and replace with the standard steel wheel, and other parts of the car too?
Since I heard from some of my friend, they took everything out of the car before they come and take the car away. even all the head light, chair etc etc...they literally tear the car apart and resell the parts separately.

However, I'm not sure if I can do this. as i would want to take off my alloys only. thanks!
Need Advice Regarding Car Writeoff - spikeyhead {p}
Can you? yes!

but its illegal, the insurance company now own the car.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Need Advice Regarding Car Writeoff - Hugo {P}
OK we need to ask some questions here....

What is the salvage value of the vehicle? Your insurers will give you some idea. If it's an older vehicle this could be very little or nothing. I assume it is not a third party claim ie a claim off someone elses insurance. If it is neglegeable your insurers may not kick up a fuss wrt this, however if it is worth some money in the salvage/breakers auction they may have something to say.

What is standard fitment on the car and has the value (hence payment) been calculated with the extras in place? If your car is valued as a standard model with steel wheels and you've fitted after market alloys, there should be nothing stopping you from putting the steels back on. However if the trim spec for the car includes the alloys and your payout is based on the value for that spec, the alloys would then be standard equipment. Hence you can't touch them.

An ex colleague was able to remove her tow hitch from her car when it was written off but her radio - a standard item had to be left behind. However if she had fitted a top of th range CD player and had kept the old standard radio she could have quite reasonably swapped them back.

Your friends who stripped the car may have been the beneficiaries of a third party settlement where the insurers have a habit of "awarding the owner the salvage for the salvage value". In this case they may have had the salvage value deducted from their settlement. This could have been £0, in which case they would have simply had the responsibility of disposing of it. Alternitavely the salvage value from their own insurers may have been nil, hence the insurers may not have been to worried about it, or the insurers may simply not have picked up on it.

Need Advice Regarding Car Writeoff - mymelody
thanks for your reply.

I think it is 'third party claim' (claim off someone else insurance). As that person hit me on the road, and both of our insurance know is their fault and the other side take the responsibility.
I have got the cheque of about 1300pound for a L reg honda civic coupe (which is still in excellent condition).
about the alloys, i have got it when i brought it straight from honda garage (2nd-hand).
So do you think I can take the alloys (i get some steel wheel to replace it), and cdplayer etc? the cd player in there is not original... the owner previously did not take it off when they sold it to honda... so can i take that also?
Need Advice Regarding Car Writeoff - No FM2R
Who owns the salvage ? i.e. was the value of the salvage deducted from the payout ? If it was you own the car, if it was not the insurer owns the car.

From the sound of it the insurer has retained the salvage. If that is the case you can take nothing. It doesn't matter if it is standard equipment or something you fitted 10 minutes before the accident. You can take nothing. It is not your vehicle, you do not own it or any bit of it.

If you choose to ignore the law tha's up to you.