What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Help! Japanese vs UK Cars - The Ox
Hi all.

I am just going to buy a car and want to avoid a Japanese import (I'm just too much a novice buyer to buy foreign!!).

Given that it will be either an old VTEC Prelude or a 300ZX, are there any guaranteed ways to tell if it is a UK/Japanese car?

Also - just interested in which of these any of you petrolheads may choose over the other and why!! (So far it seems the Prelude is reliable and cheap, 300ZX rather less so!)

Thanks in advance

Ox
Re: Help! Japanese vs UK Cars - G
The 300zx is badged "Fairlady" in Japan so should be easy to spot. Speedo in km/h would be another sign as would stopping dead at 112mph - try this out on the test drive.

Re choice the 300zx is a different league to the Prelude, will be REALLY expensive to maintain though.
Re: Help! Japanese vs UK Cars - Keith
Most Jap Imports have those square numberplates at the back
Re: Help! Japanese vs UK Cars - Tony
The Japanese market car will usually be lower mileage,better condition and have more extras like climate a/c.The Prelude Vtec is a fantastic car and really good value along with excellent reliability,the ZX/Fairlady is an altogether different beast and can be very costly to maintain.If your on a budget stick with the Vtec and i would say buy the best Japanese one you can afford.All of the above is based on my experiences with both cars,UK and Japanese.
Re: Help! Japanese vs UK Cars - Honest John
The ZX might be lacking a pair of turbos.

HJ