What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
OBD II - Kevin

I called for gas on my way home from the office last night and forgot to tighten the cap the required 'three clicks'.
As usual, after about 4/5 miles the car reminded me by illuminating the SES light. This got me thinking...

Since all new cars sold in the U.S after 1996 (I think), have to comply with Federal emmission control regs called OBD II (On-board Diagnostics Two), will a European model that is also sold in the U.S tell you that you haven't tightened the gas cap fully ?

For example, does a Merc/BMW/Audi purchased in Germany have all the OBD II functions or are they deactivated on Euro-spec models?

Kevin...
Re: OBD II - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
I don,t think European OBD II will be quite as comprehensive or as standardised as in the US, For example I have yet to see any kind of standardisation on the diagnostics ports yet, it's getting better but I still have two instrument cases full of adaptor leads and breakout boxes for all the different applications!