What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Reg No. Request on Ebay - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
I have a car up on ebay with a buy it now price of nearly 12k.
Someone has requested the registration number to 'do the usual checks'. I've stated there is no finance outstanding and HPI clear.

Is it safe to give out the registration number when all the other details are on the web?
Am I becoming paranoid?

Can anyone advise please
(btw, I'm nearly sure about the paranoid bit).

Thanks
Simon
Reg No. Request on Ebay - Adam {P}
How different is it to seeing your car on the street? I take it you don't blank the numberplate out when it's on your drive? ;-)
--
Adam
Reg No. Request on Ebay - chris_w
Often see people blanking out the reg no on Autotrader - personally just left it on. As Adam says, it's visible to anyone who is physically near your car, so don't see what the problem would be.

Obviously cloning is an issue, but if you sell it, it's no longer your issue!
Reg No. Request on Ebay - Armitage Shanks {p}
Yes but if they don't buy it they know there is a blue 525i BMW or whatever and they know its Reg No; cloning starts here if it is the right make and model of car!
Reg No. Request on Ebay - MichaelR
And this is different to seeing a BMW 525i in Sainsburys carpark errr, how, exactly?
Reg No. Request on Ebay - Armitage Shanks {p}
The difference, such as it is, is that you can't stop people eyeballing your car in Sainsburys, but you don't have to give them the information on the internet.
Reg No. Request on Ebay - Tomo
And again, a certain number of people, mostly local, will see the car at Sainsbury but characters from all over can see it on E-Bay; and if I were going to clone a car I would see advantages in picking one afar off.

Reg No. Request on Ebay - David Horn
Obviously, you wouldn't clone a local car in case the true owner happens to drive past and see his/her numberplate on your car.
Oh come on.

Yes - it could be cloned. Yes, I could watch TV and clone number plates off that.

Or, I could drive down a motorway spotting cars.

Or, I could put random number plates into that DVLA site and see what results it came up with.

We're all being a bit too paranoid I think.
--
Adam
Reg No. Request on Ebay - frostbite
Oh come on.
Yes - it could be cloned. Yes, I could watch TV
and clone number plates off that.
Or, I could drive down a motorway spotting cars.
Or, I could put random number plates into that DVLA site
and see what results it came up with.
We're all being a bit too paranoid I think.

patronising/

Such good common sense from one so young!

/patronising
It's ok frosty, you're always patronising ;-)
--
Adam
Reg No. Request on Ebay - martint123
Give him the VIN number AFAIK you can do an HPI check on that.
OK he gets to find out the reg nr, but he has to give ID and/or credit card number to find out.