Skoda/Vag 1.9tdi 100ps - Ash
Hi,

I've got a Skoda Fabia 1.9Tdi 100ps. It's just had it's first service at 10k. A month later it's pushing oil passed the oil filler cap, not a lot but it's leaking nevertheless.

The dealership had a look at it this morning and they said that "they've never seen it before" and that i "should keep an eye on it" and if it persists or gets worse i should book it in.

My thoughts are a faulty cap (which they dismissed)a blocked breather or they over filled the engine with oil at the service ( it was brimmed to the max with oil when i picked it up ).

Has anyone else experienced this on a VAG Tdi ?

Thanks for any help.
Skoda/Vag 1.9tdi 100ps - bert-j
Never come across this on a whole range of pdi's including my wife's present Fabia 100bhp. The oil should only be up to the top of the hatched area on the dipstick. If it has been overfilled it can wreck the catalyst as well as do other engine damage. I would go back to the dealer ASAP.
Skoda/Vag 1.9tdi 100ps - stan_deezy
Forgive this question if it seems silly but are you 100% sure that the oil is being pushed back up and that it's not oil spill from the service?
Does the oil reappear after being wiped away?
If it does then I'd be at the dealer PDQ demanding an explanation...........
The oil is forcing itself out from underneath the filler cap. I wiped the small pool away on Saturday morning and it's quietly filling itself back up !

I contacted the dealer this morning and they're denying any fault on their part ( as they would ) and the mechanics "wouldn't have overfilled the car " as they are experienced. Basically the earliest they can see the car is next Thursday. I explained that this wasn't good enough and i asked to speak to the service manager. I was informed he would call me back, i'm still waiting am hour and a half later.

I've now bought some new oil and a filter and left the car with a mate who runs his own garage just down the road from me. He'll sort it out.

My thoughts are : They over-filled the car or filled it with the wrong oil. i.e normal diesel oil and not PD oil. I bought 5 litres of oil as that what was on the reciept, but the supplying dealer said that it could take only 4.

I'll let you know what happens.
Skoda/Vag 1.9tdi 100ps - nortones2
If it was overfilled there would be clear evidence on the dip-stick. Did they look? I'd check that fact pronto as there might be over-pressurisation of the engine - seals etc might be affected. Photos would help later if a problem results. I've heard that excessive oil churning, due to overfilling can lead to oil circulation being less efficient: pump not designed to deal with a lot of entrained air. As a pal found on his BSA when it seized.
Skoda/Vag 1.9tdi 100ps - cheddar
If you get your mate to "sort it out" then you have lost any possibility of the dealer taking responsibility if they made an error during the service.
Skoda/Vag 1.9tdi 100ps - stan_deezy
It does sound very suss indeed then, especially getting billed for 5 litres of oil! Please let us know what happens because this sounds very interesting.......
My mate has drained the oil and replenished with fresh up to the top of the 'hashed' area on the dipstick. What i call 'full'. The oil was over this area up to the bend/kink on the dipstick. This is described as absolute maximum in my handbook. Too much in my opinion.

All the parts that my mate used i purchased from a VW dealership this morning, i also have the receipt to support this. The Skoda dealer could not see the car until a week on Thursday..not good enough. Oh, i'm still waiting for the service manager to contact me from 10.30 this morning. Shows he cares doesn't it. The oil change my mate carried out is an 'in between' all change, not a main service so the book does not have to be stamped and no record needs to be kept. As long as the service book stamped every 10k by a dealer my warranty is intact.

I bought 5 litres of oil, it used 4.6 litres. I'm reckoning that it was filled with 5 whole bottles filling it up to the top. Next time i get it done by a dealer, i'll check it before i drive off !

Skoda/Vag 1.9tdi 100ps - JohnM{P}
The handbook of my 105 PD TDi Golf says that the oil should be topped up to the bend when it drops into the shaded area. The other 90/110 VAG TDis I've had all said to top up to the top of the hatched area, but up to the bend if using for high speed motorway driving (if I remember correctly). The various cars have regularly come back from servicing with the oil topped to the bend or just over (I've driven well over 300k miles between them) without problem nor leakage from the filler cap, so if the oil level was up to the bend, I doubt that that was the cause. I also would have suspected a blocked breather; let us know what happens...

I'm taking the car to the supplying dealer tomorrow afternoon. A fair trip but it will be worth it. I rang them this morning and they were totally helpful and will do all they can to sort it.

They agreed with the blocked breather diagnosis theory too.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Skoda/Vag 1.9tdi 100ps - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I suspect youll find it may be a kinked or blocked breather hose. Is the filler cap fitted properly? I run the oil in my 1.9TD on the max all the time, it gets driven extremely hard and has been from day one. It has now 98000 on the clock and is oiltight so running the level on your car at max shouldnt cause oil to seep out under the cap. Is the sealing washer in place and in good condition?
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Right, i'm home.

As soon as i arrived they were on the case ! A quick look showed that the usual amount of oil had escaped. They thought that the cap wasn't as tight as it should be, plus the seal on my filler cap looked thin to them ! So another cap was fitted rather quickly and i was sent out on a test drive. A quick blast up the M5 and back proved that their theory was correct.

They explained that they had encountered one or two other cases and the quick fix if the leak is serious enough and to get you home is to bend the lugs on the cap a touch to tighten the cap up but to get the car checked out by a dealer in case there's another cause. Maybe the cap couldn't cope with my heavy right foot ?

I'm just glad it's fixed and there's no serious fault after 11k trouble free miles !