What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
B%^&#$d martins! - ian (cape town)
Not you, BRM. nor Martin B.
Those flying birds who wish to build nests.
A pair have decided to make my eaves their southern base, and the car gets covered with a saliva/dirt mix. I'd hate to progress to the fledgeling dump stage.
Any idea how to dissuade the little critters?
Re: B%^&#$d martins! - Simon Butterworth
I'd love to have them here in Northampton England where they have been decimated over the past 10 years.
Re: B%^&#$d martins! - pugugly
I'd love a SA holiday, I'll bring my shotguns ! (hold Baggage of course)
Re: B%^&#$d martins! - humpy
Can't you just build a canopy to protect the car, after all they must be exhausted, having flown all the way from blighty. Be a shame to get rid of them. However, beware, if they repeatedly survive the migration I think I'm right in saying that they come back to the same nest year after year. We always have the same nest occupied year after year. Don't pay enough interest to see if it's the same individual I'm afraid.
Re: B%^&#$d martins! - Nick Ireland
Here in UK it is legal to knock the nests down while they are being built and before there aew any eggs or fledgelings in them. If you knock one down with birds in it you can be fined £5000 and go to prison (maximum penalties) One of my neighbours discouraged them from ever nesting by fixing a supermarket carrier bag in one of his upstairs windows; the movement and fluttering noise stopped any nest construction of any sort!
Re: B%^&#$d martins! - Derek
A cat?
Re: B%^&#$d martins! - Lee H
Would be OK, but only works on post 92J birds.
Re: B%^&#$d martins! - Mark (Brazil)
I tried that, the cat was no good - kept dropping the grappling hook and climbing rope.
Re: B%^&#$d martins! - Flat in Fifth
Lee,

May I make a request? If you are going to post comments as hilarious as that please arrange a warning in the title so that I don't have a gob full of tea when I read it.

Thanks, funniest post I have read in ages.

Stuart
Re: B%^&#$d martins! - Eleanor
Buy an air rifle and have some fun.

Eleanor
Re: B%^&#$d martins! - El Dingo (Martin)
Ian,

My friends always say..."Look, there's a House, Martin."

Does this help? I think not. Personally, we had a house marten nest in our eaves. I waited until the nest emptied in the late Autumn and cut it down.

Martin.
Re: B%^&#$d martins! - Sue
ian (cape town) wrote:

> Those flying birds who wish to build nests.
> A pair have decided to make my eaves their southern base,
> and the car gets covered with a saliva/dirt mix. I'd hate to
> progress to the fledgeling dump stage.
> Any idea how to dissuade the little critters?

El Dingo (Martin) wrote:

> Personally, we had a house
> marten nest in our eaves. I waited until the nest emptied in
> the late Autumn and cut it down.

We stayed in a gite in France where the landlord's family had swallows nesting just inside the 'front door'. It led into a covered alleyway, open at the other end. You could see the babies poking their heads out, being fed, and learning to fly. Very sweet, but I would not have wanted to step over or through all that bird sh*t (it's not a swear word in this context!) every day.

We had squirrels nesting in the eaves, and the garden was littered with loft insulation. Plus they used to wake us up scrabbling around.

Once they'd left we blocked up the hole in the eaves so they couldn't get in. Can you wait that long?
Re: B%^&#$d martins! - Pete W
We had the same in our last house and washed the nest off but they came back for the next two years before getting the message.
Re: B%^&#$d martins! - Brian
We used to get them under our apex and under next door's eaves, but haven't seen any for two or three years.
Re: B%^&#$d martins! - humpy
That's because eleanor has shot them all!
Re: B%^&#$d martins! - Ronnie Courtney
humpy wrote:
>
> That's because eleanor has shot them all!

Would that be the ecologically sound, squeaky clean Eleanor?

Surely not - she's far too busy thinking up more replies on the super-extended-telescopic diesel thread to kill a few defenceless little birds - even if they are called Martin... I'm sure no one called Martin can be a B%^&#$d, whatever that is .....

Ronnie

PS Eleanor - you've been in the North Star state too long - we don't shoot at everything that moves over here.

PPS Did you buy that gas-guzzling Bentley, or are you going to wait for the hydrogen powered model, with optional gun rack of course?