What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
London Congestion Charging - Brian
There was a programme on TV tonight about congestion charging, with particular reference to the Singapore electronic system which took over 20 years to get right, including variable charges revised half-hourly.
London's proposed flat rate fiver sounds terribly crude in comparison. Does anyone know exactly how it will work and how will the one in ten London vehicles which are allegedly not registered in the name of the current keeper affect enforcement.
Will it, for example, entail restricting access to the tolled area to specific roads and will one way systems have to be extensively altered to cater for this.
(I work a hundred yards inside the zone and at present can access it by about six routes. Will this come down to one, I wonder.)
Re: London Congestion Charging - Andy
I've heard that there is now serious doubt about the whole scheme. A number of advertising agencies are threatening to sue over cancelled contracts for the publicity re the charges.
Apparently even this car-hating government is worried that any scheme like this will damage their chances of re-election.
Let's hope so!
Re: London Congestion Charging - Donald
Andy,
I hope you are correct about it being cancelled, but it is not within the Government's gift to cancel it. Our Ken has the power to impose it should he wish.

Brian,

I understand that every entrance to the zone is to be covered by a camera. The Evening Standard puplished a map showing the location of all of them and I suspect you can find it on the Web. As far as I recall there was no changing of one way roads and the existing road system remains.

The biggest problem is likely to be the congestion on the roads just outside the zone e.g. Euston Road with traffic avoiding the zone.

I am aware that more and more categories of worker are applying for exemption from the charges - police, firemen, hospital workers.

Lastly the calculations took into account a that high percentage would avoid the charge. At present the scheme is not intended to produce revenue as such. The intent is to get a system up and running and see if it does reduce traffic, rather than divert it. Once a system is working the revenue collecting is easy - double the charges.

D