Car Servicing in Calais - TheGrocer
Hi Room
Living near the port of Dover I have decided the time has come to take the Mercedes Benz 320CDI over to the MB dealer in France and save myself a packet on servicing fees.

I hear that you can save up to 70% by using an approved main dealer whist maintaining your service record and warranty. When you factor in the 35% saving on disel and the wine and cheese the boat trip is paid for and im a happy bunny

Does anyone know of any catch? Should I check with MB UK first to ensure warranty will be covered/ (cant see why not assuming its an approived MB dealer)
Car Servicing in Calais - Big Bad Dave
Book well in advance, don?t drive all the way to France to find they can?t fit you in for two weeks.
Car Servicing in Calais - Bill Payer
Sonds great - I'd be a little concerned about going back for the car only to find it in bits 'waiting for a part' (said with a typically Gallic shrug)!
May be as well to take an overnight bag, just in case.

I gather synthetic oil is very cheap over there - so never mind the wine, load up with oil instead.
Car Servicing in Calais - Xileno {P}
I gather synthetic oil is very cheap over there - so
never mind the wine, load up with oil instead.

And diesel as well!
Car Servicing in Calais - Big Bad Dave
I just had fully-synthetic oil change, oil filter, air filter, 6 sparkplugs and one other item which escapes me (5-point service) at Peugeot main dealer in Warsaw for just over 100 quid. I?m guessing I?ve done well but I?d be interested to know what that would have come to in the UK.

Dave
Car Servicing in Calais - Collos25
If you get chance to get to Germany the ATU chain do fixed price servicing for around 80 euros and you can watch them do it,no booking and they stamp your service book.You could proably get your tyres kicked and a good coat of looking at in the UK for that.
Car Servicing in Calais - AlastairW
I would imagine the only catch is if it needs a particular right hand drive only part - I imagine most stocks of these are on our side of the channel.
Alastair (Spelt my name right this time)
Car Servicing in Calais - Dalglish
Alastair (Spelt my name right this time)

>>

you can change it to the correct spelling from the user settings on the right.

Car Servicing in Calais - AlastairW
Alastair
Car Servicing in Calais - Colonel Panic
I came back with 160 litres of Total Excellium diesel in the boot, it was 1 EURO a litre! and just 6 bottles of wine :o(
Car Servicing in Calais - volvoman
Could be a tad risky couldn't it? There's always the possibility of sudden industrial action not to mention the potential reprisals in respect of Trafalgar, Waterloo oh... and 2012 :)
Car Servicing in Calais - Nickdm
- I just had a 24,000 mile service done at the Volvo main dealer in Perpignan: UK£170. Their hourly labour rate is UK£33 and it hasn't been increased since my last visit there in October 2004. Bargain!
Car Servicing in Calais - SjB {P}
I luckily timed replacement of the OEM Pirelli P6000s on my 2003 Volvo V70 for when the missus and I were visting her parents in the Czech Republic.

I'm so glad I did because not only was the price superb, but this included nitrogen gas, some very swanky (until some scrote nicks the caps like they did twice from my Vectra GSi Estate I guess) stainless steel valve stems, and quite the BEST tyre fitting service I have ever received.

Three guys, in a spotlessly clean workshop, with top notch kit and the knowledge to use it. What really impressed me though was not just the care with which they went about the job, but the teamwork and pride that they exuded - the latter even down to clean overalls. With the wheel nuts torqued up (with a torque wrench) in the correct sequence (not 1-2-3-4-5 running round in order) and a request to come back within a day to have the torque loading checked, I left a very happy customer. Wheel balance has proven to be perfect, too.

The price for four Goodyear GSD3 F1 225/45x17 91Y tyres and this great service?
£400 total, including the nitrogen gas and swanky valves that would likely be more pricey extras in the UK.

BTW the F1s are terrific.
Unbelievably quiet even at autobahn speed and with standing water abilities that knock the P6000s in to a cocked hat. They are also more compliant than the P6000s (both tyre types at Volvo recommended pressures for sustained high speed running) with much reduced crashing and thumping over bumps, yet have far more steering feedback than the Pirellis ever did. With 410NM torque from just over 2000 RPM I could also light up the P6000s in second gear in the dry, clutch fully engaged, but not the F1s, which just squirm. Amazingly, they also have a better wear rating than the P6000s (which lasted 26,500 miles having swapped them front to back at 13,000 miles) so time will tell whether they actual last as long or longer.

Anyway, I am a very happy customer. :-))
Car Servicing in Calais - Bill Payer
Anyway, I am a very happy customer. :-))

We could tell that from your post :-)

They tyres sound good - I'll consider those for my upcoming swap.
Car Servicing in Calais - Nickdm
Not huge savings on everything though: I'm after a roofrack for the S60 and I'm conveniently going to Sweden next week... :-) UK price on the Volvo website is UK£81, price in Sweden is UK£71. Call me greedy, I was expecting it to be even cheaper?!