What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ministers seek ideas on how to reduce number of ac - Rebecca
See this link to the BBC

news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk_politics/newsid_17480...m

What do you think about some of the suggestions?
Re: Ministers seek ideas on how to reduce number o - Brian
Typical, we pay good salaries to ministers and civil servants to provide solutions and they pass the buck back to the general public for ideas.
Re: Ministers seek ideas on how to reduce number o - ChrisR
Either they listen to what we want, and act on it, or they ignore us. Which do you prefer, Brian?

Chris
Re: Ministers seek ideas - Martyn, Back Room moderator
ChrisR wrote:
>
> Either they listen to what we want, and act on it, or they
> ignore us. Which do you prefer, Brian?
>
> Chris

*I* prefer that we don't have yet another thread of negativity.
Re: Ministers seek ideas - ChrisR
That was my point, Martyn.

Chris
Re: Ministers seek ideas on how to reduce number o - mike harvey
I don't think that hazard awareness training is a bad thing, but it's always going to be the old head on young shoulders thing. Cannot be done. Bad driving is surely 'our' perception of what young drivers do; they will tell you that they are good drivers. ( though that belief is not for the young exclusively!) and are too good to have accidents. Is it possible to change the perception that a fast driver is a good driver? I doubt it, as winners of races are the best drivers, and they drive as fast as possible. It would probably only work if yougsters were only allowed to drive 'restricted' vehicles, to 30 mph, say, like motorcyclists do when young. Shouldn't be allowed out on the road though between 7.30 and 9.00am, and 6.00 to 7.30 when I'm commuting!
Mike

ps, or weekends.
Re: Ministers seek ideas on how to reduce number o - Phil Goodacre
No multiple choice answers on theory test. If you know the answer then you don't need a prompt. Regular re-testing, say every 5 years. Keep the instructors and examiners in a job and would potentially remove some awful drivers from the road (and help the government achieve its aim of reducing the number of cars on the road at the same time). Motorway driving to be part of training and testing.
Of course, I cannot possibly fall victim to the re-test, can I?
Re: Ministers seek ideas on how to reduce number o - Brian
Regular health checks would be a help, particularly on eyesight and hearing. I am sure that a considerable number of drivers have defects in one or the other.
Licences should be marked to show that glasses must be worn, as in Australia, for example.