What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda gearbox oil - Nick Field
Am I the first person ever to change manual gearbox oil on a 1998 civic 1.4? It certainly feels like it. Honda specify their own oil for their own gearboxes - which seems fair enough. But you just try getting hold of it. My local dealer can't provide any (unless I want 10 lifetimes supply of the stuff). Honda UK say that they only supply dealers and cannot help, even though I pointed out that if Honda make it, they must have some idea of quantities available.
The manual is vague and just says that a 10-30 mineral oil can be used in an emergency, then take the car to a Honda dealer...blah..blah. Anybody know what I can use?

thanks
Honda gearbox oil - Aprilia
Yes, you have a few choices. Basically you need a 75W-80 (or 85, at a pinch) oil with a Kinematic Viscosity of around 10cSt at 100deg. C.

Suitable oils are Redline MTL (www.redlineoil.co.uk); Lodexol MTF from Morris Lubricants (probably the cheapest option). Castrol SMX-S (about £11 a litre from Halfords) will also do the trick, although its a little on the thick side.
Honda gearbox oil - Nick Field
Thanks Aprilia, I just telephoned two more franchised dealers (who both put me through to their workshops) - they say to use engine oil, in both cases, this was Mobil Super S, semi synthetic, 10W-40!!! Help!!, I'm confused.

Nick
Honda gearbox oil - P 2501
I think i know whose advice i would be following...
Honda gearbox oil - MW
Write to Honda UK headquarters expressing your upset and ask for a definitive answer with alternative suppliers. Or write/email the technical dept at Esso Shell, Castrol?
Honda gearbox oil - Aprilia
Years ago Honda used to use a 5W-30 or 10W-30 engine oil - however in recent years the fluid has been modified to incorporate 'friction modifiers' to improve synchromesh action. If you use engine oil (esp. a synthetic) you will find that the synchro action is poor, with baulking. Engine oil does not have the correct frictional characteristics for synchromesh action - it is too 'slippery'.

Stick to a low-viscosity friction-modified fluid (preferably a synthetic) and you will be fine. The ones I listed about will do the trick. Many factors carry the Morris Lubricants oil (or will get it for you) and it is not too badly priced.
Take my advice on this - I have spent many years playing with gearboxes and gearbox oils.