What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
CV Boots - Roger K.
Does anyone have any experience of using the split CV boot kits that require no dismantling?
Do they last?
Re: CV Boots - steve paterson
Might just scrape through an MOT. That's the reason for them. Cheap and nasty.
Re: CV Boots - peter
The trade opinion is that they are cheap and nasty and dont last, but personal experience for low mileage use is that they are a good solution. Removal of some hub assys can be difficult and I suspect a good earner!

I have used a Moprod universal on a polo. I expected it to be impossible to glue satisfactorily however that was the easy part! The difficult part was fitting and securing satisfactorily to the hub end. Treat the cutting / sizing instructions from the the kit with extreme scepticism! My advice is to compare very carfully with the old boot. You can always cut to a larger size! Expect to have to stretch the boot hard to fit the hub before fitting the securing strap, and have a spare strap available. The polo does not have a very marked 'lip' on the hub which makes securing a little problematic.

I ended up having to use the inner end of the old boot as a spacer collar to get an acceptable seal and fit onto the drive shaft end.

When I criticised the Moprod (to the importer) cutting instructions they admitted that various models may not be correctly identified (particularly where the model is a transition model) and thanked me (well) for bothering to give the benefit of my advice.

I do have the advantage of a pit, and I doubt wheter I would have suceeded quite so enthusiastically if I had been lying on my back in a gutter. The other tip is to ensure absolute cleanliness before glueing.

Best of luck and I would be grateful to hear what you end up doing.
Re: CV Boots - David W
Steve and Peter both have a point.

I would never use a split boot on a customers car, in fact I'm choosy about boots and often use O/E. If you compare a Citroen OE boot with the proper metal bands with an aftermarket boot and cable ties.....huge difference.

The makers boot may well last 80K and then the cheap replacement starts to perish after less than half that mileage.

If you ask in our motor factors they say these split boots are sold to DIY folks and the sales sites, not the motor engineer with long term customers.

I would far rather not pull a hub off, but if it means a proper job so be it.

Having said that if you are doing your own work they are fine. I have a tech contact in aircraft engineering who reminds me many components are "glued" in his industry so that should be OK for drive boots. He does say the standard of cleaning makes the job.

David
Re: CV Boots - steve paterson
I remember the first Peugeot CV boot I did using a borrowed installing tool. Used OE boots, grease, a bit of heat, different methods of sliding the boot on etc. The third one went over without splitting, and my fingers ached for the rest of the day. The next one I had to do, I took the drive shaft to the local dealer, their fixed charge included the cost of two boots as "as often as not the first one splits".
Steve.
CV Boots - David Lacey
For difficult (Mainly French cars, sorry DJW!) We use a stretch boot kit.
It consists of a special type of stretch boot, a cone and some lubricant.
Pop the CV joint out of the hub, cut the old boot off and slide the new one over the CV Joint, cut to application and job done!

Makes the job real easy when the shaft would otherwise have to be fully stripped (Cit AX with all those needle roller bearings on the floor when you drop it???) really easy, therefore cheaper for the customer.

I would always go for an OE boot kit aslong as it wasn't stupidly priced. The OE clips and the quality of the boot is always superior.

David
Re: CV Boots - David Lacey
My point exactly, Steve!
Re: CV Boots - Ian
Hi Roger,
Yes I've done two outer ones on my father's Nissan Bluebird. You have to be careful with the glueing and keep the joint free of grease and do a bit at a time.
You can then go over the joint with extra glue if required.
If you decide to have a go take the old cv boot off and use it as a cutting template for the new one.
Good luck as it saves a lot of work if you can manage it!
Ian.
Re: CV Boots - Richard Hall
I tried fitting a split boot to a Citroen AX, but it didn't last long. The adhesive supplied with it appeared to be Superglue, which is very brittle when it dries. Perhaps some other makes of boot have a more flexible glue?
Re: CV Boots - JohnD
With four cars in the family I've tried split boots a couple of times and each time has been a waste of time because within months the seam begins to leak grease. Also, although they haven't failed an MOT, they have been noted on the sheet. My advice is not to bother with them.