What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
405 N/S Steering boot replacement - glowplug
Hi,

Has anyone had to replace this part on a 405 with power steering. Checking the Haynes manual, they don't cover it they just say that it should be done by a Peugeot dealer because the boot can't be gotten over the power ram stud and so the rack has to come out. So will a 'Bailcast' boot strech over this or is there such thing as a split boot for steering racks? I've had a quick look at the rack but don't see what the problem is. I get the impression that it's the sort of thing you start then regret. I just find it strange that Haynes give you all the details you need to strip and rebuild the engine so why not the steering rack?

Thanks.

Steve.
405 N/S Steering boot replacement - DL
I've done one, it was a complete pig of a job.

Was a long time ago, can't remember how I did it, but it did involve some hammering.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
405 N/S Steering boot replacement - duggie
Steve, not sure if the link below will work, if not do a search on my user name, i carried out this job a while back, can be done without removing the rack, if you need more info let me know.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=26049
Thanks duggie for the link and info. Now I know why and how to do it. Can't believe a forum search missed it though. Oh well at least the motor will be back on the road soon! Thanks to DL as well for the info!

Steve.
Make me wonder if dealers use a spoon and charge the hours? Guess I'm just too cynical.

Steve.
Finally done the deed and fitted the part. Posted a photo for others reference.

groups.msn.com/honestjohn/interestingshots.msnw?ac...9

Thanks to Duggie/RichardW for the info on how to do it.

Steve.